4 year study of tagged walleyes

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So reading the results so far indicate that 17-27% morality for walleyes for the last 3 years which is acceptable for the impact on the resource according to the GF. They also said that fish in North Dakota migrate more then the fish down south which makes sense because we are still a (river) not a reservoir also on that line of thought they said migration was based on water temp. I know that fish migrate in the river because of the water temp based on the foliage base (smelt) . My thoughts, Yours?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
17-27% mortality due to what? Fishing pressure? Dynamiting ice jams? Bald Eagles?

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've come across 5 in the last year, 4 were 14-16" males, 1 6# female this spring that was a $100 reward. On male was tagged at double ditch in May last year and I caught him south of cattail in June, no migration to see here.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
So reading the results so far indicate that 17-27% morality for walleyes for the last 3 years which is acceptable for the impact on the resource according to the GF. They also said that fish in North Dakota migrate more then the fish down south which makes sense because we are still a (river) not a reservoir also on that line of thought they said migration was based on water temp. I know that fish migrate in the river because of the water temp based on the foliage base (smelt) . My thoughts, Yours?

Except we don't have jack for smelt on this side over the last 15 years outside of winter apparently. Definitely agree that a fair chunk of the movement is due to forage availability but ours are almost exclusively warm water bait fish with crappie and white bass being a couple of the most common. The migration and water temperature they talked about in spring isn't so much fish moving but the bite moving as warm water works from south to north during the spring. According to them the fish don't move all that much (mind you this group moves the most of any in the lake) but just the right conditions for good fishing. Seems contrary to what most all of us see but I've never dove in the river in summer looking at walleyes to see if it was true.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Do you have a link to what you were reading. Wouldn't mind reading it.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allzz I'ze noze izz that when weez gotz lotza water, weez gotz lozza fish. When weez gotz lezz water weez gonna have lezz fish.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34