Access

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
SCI Supports Legislation Making More Public Lands Public Jun 22, 2017
On June 20, 2017, Representative Steve Pearce (R-NM) introduced H.R. 2950, the Make Public Lands Public Act. If passed, it will make more land easier for hunters to use.
Hunters nationwide are locked out of millions of acres of land that are bordered by private property. In six western states, more than four million acres of public land are inaccessible. The problem is fixable: provide more funding for the roads and easements that open public lands to the public.
Representative Pearce’s bill, an amendment to the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF), would require a certain portion of LWCF money to be used to maintain access roads to public lands and to negotiate easements through private property. The LWCF uses fees collected from energy companies to augment conservation budgets. Using these funds for improved access will help advance sustainable use conservation, including through hunting.
Safari Club International (SCI) fully supports this proposed legislation. “The federal government manages vast portions of the United States, particularly in the West and Alaska. It is important that this land is open to all Americans for outdoor recreational activities and responsible resource development,” said SCI President Larry Higgins. “We at Safari Club International are proud to support H.R. 2950, the Making Public Lands Public Act. We hope Congress will swiftly pass this important piece of legislation, and others, that remove obstacles to sustainable-use hunting on federal lands.”
Just as hunters need public lands, public lands need hunters. Through taxes and permit fees, hunters fund the government’s stewardship of public natural resources. Through LWCF and other fees, hunters and anglers have contributed hundreds of millions of dollars to land and wildlife conservation programs. Opening up more public lands to the public, including hunters, as envisioned by H.R. 2950, is a worthwhile use of LWCF funds.
SCI will keep our members up to date as this legislation progresses.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like a great idea... You know theres going to be some VERY VOCAL opposition to this tho!

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Okay ........so they want the govt to spend more monies to open roads leading TO public lands to make access easier..........while the very same govt is closing thousands of miles of roads WITHIN public lands making access harder ...............

I have no issue with reaching agreements to access public lands, but it seems less than logical to better access TO public lands when the govt is closing access WITHIN public lands..........

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Closing trails to motorized use within publicly accessible parcels of land is a completely different animal than opening up landlocked parcels and you know it

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes they are two different animals but what I simply pointed out that apparently flew over your head like an air borne carp is these groups like SCI miss the boat when holding agencies like the BLM and USFS accountable for closing access WITHIN these "public" lands.

http://archive.sharetrails.org/node/8475

Obama designated roughly 5.7 MILLION acres as national monuments closing road and trail access WITHIN our public lands.

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/sltrib/home/50786647-76/canyon-utah-suwa-blm.html.csp

http://freerangereport.com/index.ph...ands-of-miles-of-california-roads-and-trails/

So while the article is about land locked public lands, answer one question.......do you have an issue with the Federal agencies closing access WITHIN our public lands? And if so what do you do about it?

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it February? Is this the sink? Am I shrinking? To open the gst wormhole in middle of the summer, you must be in jail, hospital, unable to drink, or just plain ol' self loathing....

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually don't mind reducing motorized access within public lands. Should reduce hunting pressure, which benefits 'wilderness athletes' like myself and horse / lama people, who are generally neat.
My perspective on this may change in another 40 years when I'm rolling on prosthetic body parts, but for now, meh...

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jesus you're exhausting. No. I didn't miss the point. Yes. I understand where you're coming from. It's not that tough. You're pretty simple. Or is it simpleton? Anyway, I'm doing my best to not fall for the old gst redirect bait. All I said was this thread is about a specific issue. Opening landlocked parcels. The closing of motorized access to accessible lands is an issue. And I recognize that. But THIS SPECIFIC THREAD is about opening up landlocked parcels. And like others have stated, I will worry about that when I'm too old to carry my camp on my back. In the meantime I'll be a selfish a-hole and be ok with the fact that these areas are open to foot and horse traffic only.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am for less motorized trails unless they can enforce the people to stay on them

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
"Closing access" and closing access off road vehicles are two totally different things. We shouldn't be able to drive right across every piece of public ground no matter how remote.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 questions I am wondering as I don't know the rules in the states in question. I'm not asking these to get involved in a 15 page discussion, simple answers will do just fine.

Are the landlocked parcels in these states accessible via section lines, or are the laws there different than in ND? If they are not, how are they going to approach the landowners about building roads across their property?

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would be great to see some of the island chunks of public be opened up. Even if a guy could corner cross, that would make a massive difference.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a thing call "cornering" (I think) that is illegal. That means you cannot cross the corner of private land to access public land. So there are large sections of public land that is illegal to get to because you have to corner private. Now that is some BULL SHIT

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want every thing handicap accessible. Wheelchair friendly access to all public lands. Please help by donating at my go fund me account, search for "All About Me" on https://www.gofundme.com. Thanks for your help

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
I want every thing handicap accessible. Wheelchair friendly access to all public lands. Please help by donating at my go fund me account, search for "All About Me" on https://www.gofundme.com. Thanks for your help

Ripchair.jpg
your argument is invalid

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
SCI Supports Legislation Making More Public Lands Public Jun 22, 2017
On June 20, 2017, Representative Steve Pearce (R-NM) introduced H.R. 2950, the Make Public Lands Public Act. If passed, it will make more land easier for hunters to use.
Hunters nationwide are locked out of millions of acres of land that are bordered by private property. In six western states, more than four million acres of public land are inaccessible. The problem is fixable: provide more funding for the roads and easements that open public lands to the public.
Representative Pearce’s bill, an amendment to the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF), would require a certain portion of LWCF money to be used to maintain access roads to public lands and to negotiate easements through private property. The LWCF uses fees collected from energy companies to augment conservation budgets. Using these funds for improved access will help advance sustainable use conservation, including through hunting.
Safari Club International (SCI) fully supports this proposed legislation. “The federal government manages vast portions of the United States, particularly in the West and Alaska. It is important that this land is open to all Americans for outdoor recreational activities and responsible resource development,” said SCI President Larry Higgins. “We at Safari Club International are proud to support H.R. 2950, the Making Public Lands Public Act. We hope Congress will swiftly pass this important piece of legislation, and others, that remove obstacles to sustainable-use hunting on federal lands.”
Just as hunters need public lands, public lands need hunters. Through taxes and permit fees, hunters fund the government’s stewardship of public natural resources. Through LWCF and other fees, hunters and anglers have contributed hundreds of millions of dollars to land and wildlife conservation programs. Opening up more public lands to the public, including hunters, as envisioned by H.R. 2950, is a worthwhile use of LWCF funds.
SCI will keep our members up to date as this legislation progresses.

It this "responsible resource development" that's the COBRA IN YOUR COFFEE CUP here. Careful Guys. I've seen "responsible resource development" in the western part of ND and I'm NOT a big fan of what it's done and is continuing to do to the public lands out there. Touting this as "Good for the Average Guy" to gain support is an old ploy to cover up the powerhouses that are bankrolling this thing. It sounds great, but anything with the govt. requires close and intensive scrutiny of EVERY WORD. Signed.....Cautiously Optimistic.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 questions I am wondering as I don't know the rules in the states in question. I'm not asking these to get involved in a 15 page discussion, simple answers will do just fine.

Are the landlocked parcels in these states accessible via section lines, or are the laws there different than in ND? If they are not, how are they going to approach the landowners about building roads across their property?

1.no
2.easments

while i dont want more wilderness areas as they dont allow the proper management of the forest. i do love knowing places like the Frank Chruch still are there and wild as hell. I dont mind off road trails what i mind is people not following the trails and driving off them. kinda of a catch 22 for me as personally love remote harder than hell but i know people still like to get in the back country

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a thing call "cornering" (I think) that is illegal. That means you cannot cross the corner of private land to access public land. So there are large sections of public land that is illegal to get to because you have to corner private. Now that is some BULL SHIT
That's the law that just floors me with such a smell of bull shit!

WhitetailOne

So the people that make sure the people that are cornering are reported do they also call in complaints about any airplanes that fly over their land too ?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28