Advice on studding out a dog

ejolliffe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gents,

I posted a classified ad for studding out my 3 year old papered French Brittany. I was curious to the NDA guys that have done that any advice in terms of how to handle payment, paperwork, if you use a contract, etc.? Anything would be helpful. Thanks again.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
First step is he needs to have an erection. beyond that, I'm not sure. good luck.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gents,

I posted a classified ad for studding out my 3 year old papered French Brittany. I was curious to the NDA guys that have done that any advice in terms of how to handle payment, paperwork, if you use a contract, etc.? Anything would be helpful. Thanks again.

First of all, "papered" means little in the world of breeding. That cross-eyed, inbred poodle (Guy's hound notwithstanding) from a puppy mill may be papered. Just because a dog is registered, doesn't mean much. A car is registered with the state, but doesn't mean it's road worthy.

Assuming your male is at least 2 years old and fully mature, the first thing a reputable breeder will look for in a stud is health clearances. Have you had the dog's hips and eyes OFA cleared? Has it been cleared from any other genetic defects common in the breed? A quick Google search or looking into the breed club will answer this.

Then what makes your dog stand out from the hundred other papered males at stud? Has he been hunt tested or trailed? Is he from a blood lineage that is extremely coveted? Most importantly, has he been hunted extensively on wild birds in various terrain and conditions? And how's he around kids, strangers, other dogs, etc? Was he easy to train (heck, is he trained)? More and more, breeders are looking at a dog's personality just to weed out the transmission of aggression to the next generation.

If you've done all the above, then it might be an idea to go back to the breeder you purchased the dog from originally and let him know you're interested in studding the dog. Now would be a good time to assure you actually do have the breeding rights. Some breeders keep those rights, so it wouldn't be your choice in the first place.

If everything is a go, then you're going to want to ask for help. A majority of breedings involves the female traveling to the male, in which case you'd need to have a place for them to do the deed, and a way to observe that they actually tie up. You'll probably need to either or video and/or photograph the times they do connect properly to prove to the female's owner it happened.

That's the long and short of it. I think your best bet is to talk to a reputable breeder or get in touch with the breeding association to find out more.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
What duck says is pretty much the case. Google some other breeders websites and look at their stud contracts. That'll give you an idea. Registered, health clearances and an some proof your dog isn't just some average ol garage mutt is key.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm taking the opposite route and chopping my dogs nuts off some time this winter. He is a good dog but I do not have the money for breeding rights, plus I think he might be gay so it would be useless. I also do not care to field test him and all that jazz that goes with studding a hunting dog.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Payment is normally pick of the litter if you want one, or the cost of a pup.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm taking the opposite route and chopping my dogs nuts off some time this winter. He is a good dog but I do not have the money for breeding rights, plus I think he might be gay so it would be useless. I also do not care to field test him and all that jazz that goes with studding a hunting dog.

This comment just made my day!

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I probably hit the stud jackpot. I posted on here, dog came over, the studs owner and I drank a beer chuckled about watching our dogs bang and agreed to do it again. We agreed he would get the cost of a pup. We let the two do it again for good messure.

Oh and if anyones looking for some GSP pups we should have some next month!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are any number of ways to handle this, all are acceptable if you and the stud's owner agree to the terms. As mentioned, pick of the litter is common for breeders looking to bring new blood into their line, price of a pup is a more pure whoring of the dog. I knew someone who paid big bucks for a high-end stud that resulted in ONE pup and still had to pay the stud fee. Pretty expensive pup and I'd try to find some assurance that the cost for stud service would be pro-rated for a near failure. Maybe, a "must throw 4 pups" minimum.

The rest of the above tends to cover what they would look for in breeding stock. It's your dog, breed it to a labra-doodle if you wish. What you get out of the pups in compensation for hosting the litter will reflect it, but do as you wish so long as you aren't contributing to the population at the local pet shelter it's none of our business. I've seen dogs that were very expensive with great lineage on both sides that got turned away from a professional dog trainer. I've also seen accidentally bred dogs that had great pups! Life's a gamble.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 51