Aimpoint Red dot

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I picked up an aimpoint red dot scope for my AR. Use will be for coyotes. I've sighted in etc. I'm not 100% sure this is my thing. I might prefer a simple scope with magnification. Can anyone give me some of their experience using one of these for coyote hunting? Good and bad. I worry my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be so without magnification it may be tougher when targets are out 100+ yds?? thanks

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I picked up an aimpoint red dot scope for my AR. Use will be for coyotes. I've sighted in etc. I'm not 100% sure this is my thing. I might prefer a simple scope with magnification. Can anyone give me some of their experience using one of these for coyote hunting? Good and bad. I worry my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be so without magnification it may be tougher when targets are out 100+ yds?? thanks
Add a 3 or 5 power magnifier on a flip mount. That way you can still have the 1 power for up close and a magnified optic as well. Or a 1-6 or 1-8 power scope may be more your style

WoodyND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have aimpoints on my Ruger .22. Colt .45acp, and my muzzleloader. They work great for shots under 125 yds, but with my poor eye sight now, anything beyond that,I will not take. But I am 62 yrs young and eye sight not so good anymore.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Directions said that if you zero it at 50 yds it should be good up to a little over 200. But just as you guys stated. My vision is slowly waning.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Red dots pair well with an “accuracy through volume” approach to hunting. Also great if you hunt coyotes by kicking in doors and uncovering the coyote’s stockpile of ACME explosives and munitions destined to aid insurgent jihadists.

If you’re looking for low magnification and wide-open field of view with a taste for quality glass, consider a TA31 ACOG. The eye relief is VERY short (1.5”) so you better keep recoil low, but the picture is super bright and crisp and the enormous field of view is wider at 4x than any magnified scope on the market.

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell, I have a couple used ACOGs if you’re in the market. Just send me a PM and we’ll chat. Don’t go dropping a grand on a new one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49