Alaska Fishing

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dad, Brothers and I are finally doing it and taking a fishing trip up to Alaska at the end of July early part of Aug this summer. We are going to be staying in Soldotna and have, three days of floating the Kenai river/Russian river. Two days out of Homer for Halibut/Cod/Rock Fish, one day of a Fly In on some river, and one day of exploring. My question is for people who have did it before, are there any lessons learned that would care to share? things you would do differently? things u wish you would have taken time to do ? or just general advice .. TIA

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good on you scoter,been a long time for me since living in AK but don't expect much that late on the russian river (known for the red runs in early summer,port charter's you'll have a blast,bring a pair of rubber knee boots as you'll be near rain season,when precip rolls in its heavy rain usually about 2"/hour all day so it gets plenty muddy.fly in you'll have a blast I'm sure they'll put you on fish,bows and dollies on a fly are a blast.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
During your explorations, take a trip to the Spit area of Homer and also stop in the infamous Salty Dog Saloon.:;:cheers

Effie

We were up there 3 years ago and also stayed at Soldotna in a B N B (Moose River B N B). Made the mistake of not pre-booking a day or 1/2 day fishing charter--nothing was available! Another mistake was while on the Spit/Homer, we walked right past The Salty Dog and didn't go in for a toddy.
Twas sort of a 50th anniversary trip and enjoyed the heck out of the adventure!
I want to go back--BAD!!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dad, Brothers and I are finally doing it and taking a fishing trip up to Alaska at the end of July early part of Aug this summer. We are going to be staying in Soldotna and have, three days of floating the Kenai river/Russian river. Two days out of Homer for Halibut/Cod/Rock Fish, one day of a Fly In on some river, and one day of exploring. My question is for people who have did it before, are there any lessons learned that would care to share? things you would do differently? things u wish you would have taken time to do ? or just general advice .. TIA

Looks like you have a good trip planned. There is a aquatic museum in Seward if you decide to veer off course a bit. In Homer there is the Alaska Islands and Ocean visitor center. Both ideas are if you’re into history, displays, exhibits, etc.

x2 on the salty dog saloon on the spit as well. It’s all about the atmosphere there.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
I’d check out the new models of planes at the Alaska Bush Company in Anchorage.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88