Alaska info.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's what I got so far. Six of us are planning to go up there in 2018. More than likely early July. Anybody have some tips/info. you'd be willing to share? Like to do Halibut/Salmon/Rockfish. With so many charters and stuff out there it's hard to guess what's legit. or not.

Thanks

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
We went in 2015 for a trip in August. We used Reel Em Inn charters out of Ninilchik (south of Anchorage). It was a great trip. Our Captain happened to be from Minnesota, so we enjoyed some good rib-rubbing with this blue-plater while we fished and had a few beers. This side of the peninsula is Cook Inlet, and didn't offer any Rockfish, but did have excellent Halibut Fishing. Reel Em Inn has a decent place to stay and was very affordable. Biggest caught was 130#. We also caught some rays, sharks, regular cod, and our limit of 12 halibut from 35-130 pounds.

Fished for salmon in rivers. When we went in August we were hitting 2nd run silvers and late season pinks. Fished outside of Wasilla on Willow Creek and also on the Russian. Did not need a guide as we have friends that live there and knew the regs and where to fish.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd wait until the first two weeks of August. For several reasons....First, the bugs will be mostly done if not all done for the year. No black flies, mosquitoes, or other annoyances to deal with. Second, the height of the silver salmon (Coho) run is at that time. Less of the combat fishing you see for the King runs. Third, less folks up there at that time as it's at the end of the fishing season so getting on a charter is cheaper and a bit easier. Fourth, the temps top out at around 70 with the nights being 50's which makes for some glorious evenings around the fire. I've been up to Homer, AK a half dozen times and have used North Country Charters every time. I've heard Fox Charters are good as well. If you're stuck on going in July and going to be in the Homer area, send me a PM with your phone number and I'll call you as there's a ton of info I can give you on the fishing and other items in that area that I don't feel like typing. Good Luck and have fun!!!

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
We went out of here 5 yrs ago.. would recommend them.. Out of Seward. We went in July..Didn't catch many salmon as time wasn't ideal. Caught our boat limit of Halibut however..not world records but nice just the same. Wife caught an Octopus...lol
www.thefishhouse.net

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have lived in SE Alaska and worked for Islandview Resort and Charters out of Sitka, AK. I highly recommend Islandview Resort and Charters or Angling Unlimited. Both owners are from Mahnomen, MN. I Have fished and hunted with both. Great Guys and great services. I would also recommend August if you want numbers. Cohos start in late July. Kings are good in June/early July. Halibut are always plentiful. If you want more info, PM me. Islandview has the nicer lodge and private dock.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
We drove up in 2014 and 2016. No biting bug problem as early as June. Timing and luck is everything for hitting salmon runs. Last year we missed every run by about 4 days. I did get some charter and guided river fishing in 2014. If the rivers are high, and the bay isn't very salty, the fish tend to stack up at the mouths of bays waiting for easier upstream travel. For the species you asked about, Homer should be one of the best and the busiest port. Sockeye salmon out of Seward was troublesome last year. They ran on the 4th of July, and the town was already filled with tourists watching the Mountain Marathon.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
SE Alaska is almost all ocean run fish. I prefer mooching over down riggers w/ flashers. Both places I recommend you get to fish with a rod in your hand and not in a rod holder w/ down rigger. Check out Angling unlimited website for a video of mooching. I will be there in June for 2 weeks chasing big kings and will report when I get back.

Also, I believe there was a post on here about a group taking Vets up to Angling Unlimited this summer.

Last edited:

AvidAngler

I have been up there numerous summers and done all the kinds of fishing you can do up there. Personally, i would recommend mid July to late July. Halibut fishing can be really fun but it can also be a bust due to bad seas or just an off day. Rockfish are a blast to catch and is usually pretty easy to do, and doesn't require you to go 10 miles out in the ocean, or more. By far my favorite fishing up there is fishing for Kings. Caught a few 50 pounders up there and no other fish has ever made me smile and shake so much after a fight like that. Another easy thing to do is flip for reds on shore so you can knockout reds and kings in the same day. Reds and kings are usually running at their best numbers around late july if you are fishing the kenai river.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33