Appliance Installation/Repair

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any appliance technicians in here? Recently purchased a new gas range, and made the necessary modifications to convert from NG to LP/propane. Had an installer come out to hook it up, and everything went well until I turned the oven on. I can't seem to get the nice short blueish flame in the oven.

I called sears to see if their technicians could take a look at it, and they said they can't (or won't) make any adjustments to it. The guy that installed it said he can't make any changes either, as it would void the warranty. So that really only leaves the homeowner, and I don't like messing with gas.

Is anyone in here familiar with this stuff that could provide some additional insight into the changes that were made? I swapped out the orifices, turned the plug around on the regulator, and made the 1.5-2.5 turns on the spud to get it down against the pin. Do I need to crank that spud down until it's snug? That's the only thing I can think of that isn't right.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you bought if from Sears, it's not working and they won't come fix it? No wonder they are about to go under.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you bought if from Sears, it's not working and they won't come fix it? No wonder they are about to go under.

That is correct. They said they can send one of their technicians out to "repair" it, but they won't do anything to make sure the conversion was done correctly or make any adjustments to it.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm located in the Bismarck/Mandan area. I'm going to start by going directly to the store to discuss my options with them in person. Their "local" is tied directly to the 1-800 number, so I'm always speaking with someone that doesn't have a clue what they are doing.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a Sears brand lawn mower about 6 or so years ago. Just a common self propelled walk behind. The self propel went out within 2 weeks of owning it, I brought it back to the store it was purchased from, and 12 weeks later I had my original mower back in the fixed condition, just in time for the fall season and raking leaves.
Not real convenient using a friend on the other side of towns mower for the bulk of the summer.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I forgot to say, Good Luck.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
We bought a new Jenn-Air gas cook top. I got it mounted into the island and all hooked up. Wife turned it on and said "man those flames are way too big". Couldn't turn the knobs low enough to get the flames way down to simmer. She called the place where we bought it. They are a small operation that services, etc. Guy said they can't be adjusted that's the way they are. She said BS and took the manual out and started looking. Turns out there is an adjustment screw below the burner assembly. She adjusted them right down to perfection lol. Then called the ass hats up and told them how to do it lol

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found the solution to my problem. My first problem was following the instructions in the manual. I called up a friend of mine that used to work for MDU and he said the spuds in the oven need to be turned almost all the way down. The instructions only call for up to 2.5 turns. I stopped by sears in Bismarck to talk to the directly, and was told flat out that they do not install the appliances they sell. They aren't licensed or insured to do so. It's too bad that they actually carry a decent line of appliances. I guess Kenmore should find a different local retailer to do business with.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eye, Tell your wife Thank you, I just got schooled. After many years of frustration I just adjusted our burners down.
We had ours installed and the installer told us nothing can be done about it. At first I said BS but after a long sad story I took his word for it, I feel like calling him up and telling him to read this thread.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eye, Tell your wife Thank you, I just got schooled. After many years of frustration I just adjusted our burners down.
We had ours installed and the installer told us nothing can be done about it. At first I said BS but after a long sad story I took his word for it, I feel like calling him up and telling him to read this thread.
LOL. yea call that guy up and tell him a little old lady fixed it for you lol

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Send eyes wife a thank you card and some cash for Christmas, that would be nice.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a fridge froms Sears a few years ago and vowed to never buy appliances from them ever again after the run around I experienced with them. I never was able to get ahold of someone at the Bismarck store. When I drove down there to tell them my problem the manager could have cared less. Thier customer service is horrendous.

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like you need to adjust the amount of air you get should tell you how to do it in the book usually is in the oven on the back side. or you gas pressure is off

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive found that if you ever want a very cheap deepfreeze. Drive around town during cleanup week or watch Bisman for a year or two old Kenmore deepfreeze. The owners will usually curse Sears to no end. Throw a $20 hard start kit on it and your good for years.

Redneck1

Just had sears tech at my house a week ago to check on my fridge ice maker not workin. He spent 10 mins trubleshootn and proceeded to tell me to stick a shim on top of icemaker to ensure that lever is compressed when the freezer door is closed. He was in the process of writing me a bill for $99 routine service call, but when I told him I have extended warranty, he immediately included an additional $110 labor fee, n also a shim kit for door hinge for$25 which I will recieve in mail and have to install myself.WTF? I had to pay entire bill on the spot with cc and have sent receipt to the ext warranty provider for reimbursement. I HOPE I'M REIMBURSED, but the whole repair situation was a fraud.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57