AR 10 for deer hunting or just fun

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody using an AR 10 or a larger caliber in an AR platform? I maybe have an AR 15 that is just fun to shoot and I take coyote hunting every once in a while. I knew they had this platform in 308 but now I see you can get a 243, 7-08,6.5 creed in the AR platform. Thinking it would be a fun gun to add to the arsenal. Any thoughts on what caliber to go with?

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 308 and have used it for deer. I also built a 243 but haven’t used that one yet.

the 308has done me well. I used it for 2 rifle tags and filled both of them.

i stuck with either 5 or 10 round mags. I have 20 rd mags but didn’t use those for deer hunting.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Built a 22-250, maybe would be ok for deer, reloading with heavier bullets, I have 2 of these, one with 16in barrel and one with a 20in barrel, both are good shooters, and I only use the 10 round mag, half full

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
243-would work for coyotes(fur friendly bullets) and deer
6.5 creedmoor- lot of good talk about this caliber and ballistics to back it up.
7mm-08- I have a bolt gun in this caliber and really like it. Have ammo and wouldn't have to buy differnt ammo
308- old reliable cheaper reman ammo available which is good because with a semi auto ammo can go fast

These are my thoughts of narrowing it down to these 4 calibers any help thoughts to narrow it down more?

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good thoughts by ItemB, but let me add one more option. If like me you maybe stuck $250 into the trigger of your AR15 and more money into other options you could purchase another upper for your rifle in 6.5 Grendel. It doesn't have the smack down that some of the AR10s do, but it's sufficient for deer and flattens coyote.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
.25-45 Sharps. All you would have to do is switch out your barrel on your ar15. There are getting to be more and more loads for it. 87 grain Hotcor slugs going 2,880 fps and 70 grain Blitzkings going 3,100 fps. Up for debate whether it is a big enough round or not. Shot my doe with it this year through the chest as the damage was impressive. Definitely going to use it again next year.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
243-would work for coyotes(fur friendly bullets) and deer
6.5 creedmoor- lot of good talk about this caliber and ballistics yo back it up.
7mm-08- I have a bolt gun in this caliber and really like it. Have ammo and would have to buy differnt ammo
308- old reliable cheaper reman ammo available which is good because with a semi auto ammo can go fast

These are my thoughts of narrowing it down to these 4 calibers any help thoughts to narrow it down more?

creedmoor was designed to work out of that mag i would run that

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
creedmoor was designed to work out of that mag i would run that

Care to explain this to me something to do with pressure? I have read there could be issues with the 7-08 and pressure with factory ammo. I am leaning towards the 6.5 creedmoor or the 7mm-08 I think I have a tendency to overthink things ha. But have gotten to a point where I am going to try and buy less guns but higher end guns custom semi custom etc. buy once cry once, to get something good right away, shoot it a bunch and get good with it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The case so you can run high bc bullets in the mags with no feeding problems

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
The case so you can run high bc bullets in the mags with no feeding problems

Thanks so I should sell my bolt 7mm-08, and get a ar and bolt in 6.5 creed and buy a bunch of bullets...;) Looks like the 7mm-08 and 6.5 creed are pretty close balistically for the ranges I shoot now.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
some more reading there is a bunch more to

https://blog.hornady.com/the-6-5-cr...s-senior-ballistician-dave-emary-19d67388f2fc

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so I should sell my bolt 7mm-08, and get a ar and bolt in 6.5 creed and buy a bunch of bullets...;) Looks like the 7mm-08 and 6.5 creed are pretty close balistically for the ranges I shoot now.

I wouldnt i would get some 162 eldx and let the 7mm-08 eat also. The only thing is a little less recoil from the 6.5 but not enough to even split hairs about

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good thoughts by ItemB, but let me add one more option. If like me you maybe stuck $250 into the trigger of your AR15 and more money into other options you could purchase another upper for your rifle in 6.5 Grendel. It doesn't have the smack down that some of the AR10s do, but it's sufficient for deer and flattens coyote.

I really like my grendel.

What are people purchasing for 6.5 creedmore barrel for an AR? What barrel length? I love my bolt and was thinking of doing a build for one but have not done much research.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like the barrel lengths are 16-22 inches just haven't did enough research/question asking to see what length is the sweet spot. I suppose it also factor how heavy of bullets and distance a guy plans on shooting

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Downrigger I don't know what brands people are buying for their Creedmoors for ARs. When I was purchasing a bolt barrel the fellow I ordered from had half a dozen 6.5 Creedmoors and he said performance drops with less than 24 inches. Both my bolt Creedmoors are 24 inch. In am AR I might give up some performance for two inches less.

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
Downrigger I don't know what brands people are buying for their Creedmoors for ARs. When I was purchasing a bolt barrel the fellow I ordered from had half a dozen 6.5 Creedmoors and he said performance drops with less than 24 inches. Both my bolt Creedmoors are 24 inch. In am AR I might give up some performance for two inches less.

You will lose about 50 fps when you go from a 24 inch barrel to a 22 inch barrel with the 6.5 creedmoor.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks 1833, I would have thought more. I'll have to store that in the old memory bank. A nice light moderate caliber for a walking rifle would be nice. I was going to get a light 22 inch, but the guy at Northland talked me out of it.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did a little checking and you can get up to 28" barrels in stolen match and select match grade. If probably look at a 22" or 24". I'd also do all I could to keep it as light as possible.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40