Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot]
[h=1]Textron Is Buying Snowmobile Maker Arctic Cat[/h]

[FONT=&quot]Reuters[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7:38 AM Central[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Textron Inc reported a 4.4 percent fall in quarterly profit, and said it would buy all-terrain vehicle maker Arctic Cat Inc for $247 million in cash as it looks to strengthen its specialized vehicles business amid slowing business jet sales.
Textron's offer of $18.50 per share represents a premium of 41.3 percent to Arctic Cat's Tuesday close.
Cessna aircraft maker Textron's specialized vehicles and equipment business makes golf cars and off-road utility vehicles, and is housed within its industrial segment, the company's second biggest.
"With our recent product introductions in the outdoor recreational vehicle market under the Stampede name, we believe Arctic Cat ... provides an excellent platform to expand our portfolio," Textron said.

Artic Cat's shares were up 40.2 percent at $18.35 in premarket trading on Wednesday, while Textron was down about 1 percent at $49.00.Artic Cat, which also makes side-by-sides, snowmobiles as well as related parts and garments, has been struggling with a softening demand in a competitive market.The company, in the midst of trying to orchestrate a turnaround, has posted a bigger-than-expected loss for the past four quarters, while its revenue has also missed analysts' expectations in each of those quarters.Textron forecast 2017 adjusted earnings in a range of $2.50 to $2.70 per share, on revenue $14.3 billion.The company's income from continuing operations fell to $215 million, or 78 cents per share, in the fourth quarter ended Dec. 31, from $225 million, or 81 cents per share, a year earlier, hurt by lower business jet sales.Textron said it recorded a pre-tax restructuring charge of $8 million in the quarter.Total revenue fell 2.5 percent to $3.83 billion. (Reporting by Ankit Ajmera in Beng

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
anyone else find this purchase a questionable business decision? they paid 40% more than the stock price for a struggling company... missed revenue projections and posted losses for 4 straight quarters and they are able to sell at a premium in a now strongly competitive market. :confused::;:huh

the only way it makes sense is if they still own polaris.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Textron hasn't owned Polaris for 30+ years. I believe employes/management bought it from Textron and has been a standalone company that has acquired many more since then.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Textron hasn't owned Polaris for 30+ years. I believe employes/management bought it from Textron and has been a standalone company that has acquired many more since then.
last I knew textron owned in the 80's but didn't know as of recently. I thought the employees bought cat back in the nineties. That was after Polaris bought them

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
anyone else find this purchase a questionable business decision? they paid 40% more than the stock price for a struggling company... missed revenue projections and posted losses for 4 straight quarters and they are able to sell at a premium in a now strongly competitive market. :confused::;:huh

the only way it makes sense is if they still own polaris.

dealer network...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
and something in the technology dept. they wanted. this sounds like just the ATV stuff was bought and not the sleds huh?

i really doubt it... i don't think any sled manufacturer could make it without wheelers AND side by sides these days...

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would bet traxion owns more here then we can see off the top. Thinking more along the line of parts manufacturing or something like that leading to a lower overall cost of manufacturing for them. Or they just like to buy struggling brands as they struggle as well which is always a sound business plan.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 37
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 12