Back injury--any advice or share experience?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Laser is doable if it is just a soft tissue thing, bone is a whole different animal.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 5 years ago I had 2 bulging. One between the L5/S1 and the S1/S2. I had a lot of sciatic pain. I was able to get everything back to normal through physical therapy and has been good since then.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I threw my back out shingling in 105 degree weather, about 12 years ago. am on that stubborn bus. I am okay doing anything except standing for periods of time.

This is by far the worst for me too. If you ever find a solution let me know.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I effed up my back BAD when I was 11-12 and that shit plagued me all the way through high school. I’d get healed up, try to lift something, hell, just stand back up straight from being bent over and I’m be crippled up again for weeks. Muscle spasms and everything. Damn did it suck. All I can say is make sure you’re healed up totally before trying anything.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don"t known if its a big difference with necks or backs, but... i had something bulged or herniated in the neck and after numerous injections on the neck, I couldn't take it anymore. Should not have waited as I now have permanent nerve damage as have
tingling and numbness in right hand, but have no pain what so ever. Dr Tim Watt from Black hills Spine Center in Rapid City.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thank you to all of you who have messaged me or offered the advise on this forum. Doing some of the exercises, ibuprofen and not being real physical or doing a lot of lifting. It seems like I have been able to ease the sciatic nerve pain. I still have to watch how I get in and out of vehicles so I doing get that nerve so excited that I can tough the moon. I have encountered many people on NA and in my community who have had surgeries with Dr. Berlanger and pretty much 100% of them would go back to him and they lead pretty normal lives. Even those people who had part of a hardware store put in. Still praying for a minimal invasive procedure if at all possible.

Stay warm everybody! Birth rate should increase in North Dakota in 9 months if you guys keep your rod out, and keep that line tight down hole!
#$%^&>

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope all goes well Paddledogger , I think you got a lot of good advice. Has anyone tried Acupuncture, Dry needling or Hypnosis for pain relief ? My wife had some dry needling done and it helped but from what I gathered dry needle and acupuncture are not the same ? Or is dry needling just a new name for acupuncture ?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the past i had acupuncture with shock electrodes attached.
Felt darn good but i was too far gone to do any good.
Waiting too long for surgery and you get permanent nerve damage and i always waited too long!
You will know when you need to go under the knife but try everything else first if possible.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope all goes well Paddledogger , I think you got a lot of good advice. Has anyone tried Acupuncture, Dry needling or Hypnosis for pain relief ? My wife had some dry needling done and it helped but from what I gathered dry needle and acupuncture are not the same ? Or is dry needling just a new name for acupuncture ?

They are not the same. One is based in Chinese medicine and something with chi and meridians and the other is a western medicine philosophy that works on myofascial pain and neurophysiology.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well...visited Neurosurgeon this morning. Decided that he will remove the disk material that oozed out of the disk and hitting the nerve. So now need to do pre-op physical and get it scheduled. Doc expects it to be a 30 minute procedure and “outpatient”. The other herniated disk is a ticking time bomb if I don’t watch myself. Doc says take it easy, even when it feels good. Give the disk time (a year) to fully heal, but light duty first 3 months. Felt good thinking that I would still make the REO Speedwagon concert at 4 Bears on 20th, only to find out that it got “cancelled” due to vocalist is having medical procedure. Hopefully make the REO/Styx concert in Bismarck in March.

Stay warm everyone!

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck going under the knife. Make sure you have some one there with you. My surgery was also out patient. They had me walk to the car, under my own power after surgery(I wasn't driving), but between anesthesia still wearing off and the effects of surgery, I was a little wobbly and can only imagine how awful it would have been had I fell. Have your wife, gf or mistress help you to the vehicle if they make you walk. Again, good luck and hope all goes well! Oh, and before I forget, enjoy the fun drugs you get after and ice ice ice as much as you can after.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good luck going under the knife. Make sure you have some one there with you. My surgery was also out patient. They had me walk to the car, under my own power after surgery(I wasn't driving), but between anesthesia still wearing off and the effects of surgery, I was a little wobbly and can only imagine how awful it would have been had I fell. Have your wife, gf or mistress help you to the vehicle if they make you walk. Again, good luck and hope all goes well! Oh, and before I forget, enjoy the fun drugs you get after and ice ice ice as much as you can after.

Thanks for the advice H82bogey! The Mrs. will likely pamper me....at least for a few days. I hope to only use the pain stuff very little. I've seen what that stuff can do to people. Goal is to take it easy this spring, teach the wife on how to run the snowblower and work on getting better in time for Paddlefishing in May. FISH ON!!!!

Last edited:

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
UPDATE: Well, I successfully had my disksectomy on the L4-L5 disk this morning. Woke with no shooting pains that had experienced this past week, as I had to quit taking ibuprofen a week before procedure. So far, so good! Doc said that he found a lot of brown stuff that was supposed to be in my disk, but was outside the disk and on the nerve. He said was very concerned and advised that I really take it easy now for the next 3 month to allow the hole in my disk to heal. I may have to play chief cook for the paddlefishing crew this year, if I am not able to handle a rod, which would really suck. Praying for a good recovery!!!

Fish On! #$%^&>

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
UPDATE: Well, I successfully had my disksectomy on the L4-L5 disk this morning. Woke with no shooting pains that had experienced this past week, as I had to quit taking ibuprofen a week before procedure. So far, so good! Doc said that he found a lot of brown stuff that was supposed to be in my disk, but was outside the disk and on the nerve. He said was very concerned and advised that I really take it easy now for the next 3 month to allow the hole in my disk to heal. I may have to play chief cook for the paddlefishing crew this year, if I am not able to handle a rod, which would really suck. Praying for a good recovery!!!

Fish On! #$%^&>

Glad it went well. I would definitely suggest some PT after your 3 month healing process. I lost a ton of flexibility and PT helped gain it back.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
It has been kind of a tough fall for me. Shortly before the deer rifle season I ran out to pull and check the chip in the game camera. On the way back to the truck I stepped in a yote or fox den hole that I didn't see (boot heel caught the front edge and toes went in forward sharply). I didn't fall, but it did put me in an ackward position. Developed a sore back and some Sciatica type pain of spasms. To make long story short, after several Chiropractor visits where the 2nd Chiropractor I trusted, who refused to adjust me but wanted to work a flexibility. He suggested that I have something more going on and thought it was a disc issue. BINGO--smack dab right he was. I ended up going to see MD to get MRI referral. Results are 2 bulging discs and 2 herniated. The most significant one of the one between L5 and S1 that is touching nerve root, which is most painful. I'm OK when I stand and walk. I do laydown with lumbar support but sitting or getting in and out of vehicles...that friggin nerve gets touched by the muscle or spasm and I swear I can touch the moon. Taking Ibuprofen like crazy until I can get this fixed up.

Anybody ever have a similar situation? Who was the treatment you sought or technique used? What was recovery time? I have appointment with Dr. Belanger in Bismarck, but have also heard that Dr. Rice down in Rapid City is very good. I am hoping for minimally invasive procedure where I can be up and around within a week after surgery. I definitely want to be ready for when the weather gets nice and I can enjoy the outdoors.

Any advice?

Good Luck - glad it worked out for you - make sure to follow orders with PT.

Last edited:

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How long or how many PT visits did you fellas have to go through? This Tuesday will be 4 weeks since my surgery. The incision area is the only thing that I can feel or is bothersome everyday. Can feel when the nerve that was affected acts up and tells me to rest. From time to time when I stand too long I definitely know when it is time to lay down and rest. Promised doc a week ago that I would just stay in the office for a couple weeks., she he released me as tolerated. Feels to not be able too sit though! 8 more weeks of taking it easy though. Had to give the wife a lesson on how to run the snowblower. Not sure how f that was a good idea or not. But it is comical watching her try to stop stop while she continues to hold the drive lever. She looks and looks and looks and hollers “how do I stop?”. I signal with my hands to let go. But after a little practice, she did get the hang of it. Wife won’t even let me run it because doc says no pushing or pulling. I did tell he that I can drive it with one hand. Oh well...she is spoiling me! Wish I could get out if fishing, but I don’t dare....even with cleats.

Think spring everybody!

Sparky2_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll give a name of a true deep massage therapist in bismarck. When you pay for a half hour or an hour she gives you a full massage, and she is good and a true professional therapist. PM me if interested
She does not work at a spa she is on.her own

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take it easy and listen to the Doc. Your recovery time now is key and is also short compared to the rest of your life. Remember the pain and that helps you to listen to the Doc!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88