Beer shortage

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trouble Brewing for Beer Crop as Barley Conditions Hit Lowest Level on Record | AgWeb

Fourth image down, I didn't know North Dakota raises such a large percentage of the malting barley.

Screen%20Shot%202021-07-08%20at%209.02.16%20PM.png

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, I heard recently that farmers who have contracted out barley are being required/asked to harvest their crops even if they are pretty minimal, like 10 bushels to the acre. Simply because there is going to be a pretty major malting barley shortage.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great, now people will be hoarding beer and prices will skyrocket. ;:;banghead ;:;boozer

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, it's another scheme to create a shortage--increase prices beyond reason. Then, we notice that once the prices go up, they never go back down to before-prices even if there's no more shortage of said product!

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Better get used to wheat and hops style beers. Just so rye crops remain remain good for some good whiskey for down the road.

sdtransplant

Established Member
Down here in Nebraska the local bars were told by the Bud distributer that they were not going to get bottled beer by the end of month. They will be able to get cans or aluminum bottles only. Would bet the next step will be a 5-10c deposit on glass bottles like the old days.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Harvested my barley nitrogen trials last week. Plots ranged from 8.5 to 12.5 bu/ac. It should be 80 but/ac or more. The low yield coupled with high heat at soft dough will likely adversely impact malting quality.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fritz the Cat Fourth image down said:
Our area produced a lot of malting barley over the year and not so many miles away it's mostly feed barley . Cool weather is the reason I was told. With the hot summer I'd say it's going to be high pro and thin. The only barley field I noticed was headed out and about a foot tall. It's been a few years since much barley grown has been grown close to me , The vomitoxin discount was the reason for that.

Auggie, did you do plump and protein tests ?

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
local saloon's in my area have been outof the low budget stuff for months,most of the whinners are "old swell" drinkers,grain belt is still cookin tho,top shelf brewery right on the muddy mississ...ishta.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was going to say the same thing about high protein and not very plump.
Dealt with that a few years when I worked for Busch Ag in West Fargo.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
They grade most barley down to feed. But if there is a shortage of malting barley, its miraculous how the feed barley suddenly turns into malting grade.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
this shortage BS better not creep into my rum supply chain

Your concern for that will be if the sugar-beet crop is poor, then the cane sugar might not make it to the rum distilleries.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
They grade most barley down to feed. But if there is a shortage of malting barley, its miraculous how the feed barley suddenly turns into malting grade.

I think that's an elevator thing, They raise and lower prices based on thier need of good quality barley to fill rail cars . Some years they have easy going and some years they need a lot more low pro to blend off the poor crop so the whole car makes malting.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the only justification to turn tree rows into more acreage. At 10 bushels an acre, those 4 tree rows are a solid 8 bushels!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have enough whisky and ammo to set out a coupla Russian Winters. Thats my German in me. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33