Big 3 Apps due March 23

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is actually a fair amount of real big ones out there I think. My theory is most folks in ND that draw don't know how to hunt elk so they get a chance to grow up. Just my thoughts. Open to being changed.

genetics is a big deal with elk. ND has great genetics

ND has huge bulls. I would take a ND tag over almost anywhere.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are great bulls out there, but not that many, simply because there are (relatively) few elk in general in ND. I'm sure my brain is backwards, but if I'm only going to get one shot at it in ND, I'd like to bring home something. I'd take a big tasty cow over a small bull any day.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are great bulls out there, but not that many, simply because there are (relatively) few elk in general in ND. I'm sure my brain is backwards, but if I'm only going to get one shot at it in ND, I'd like to bring home something. I'd take a big tasty cow over a small bull any day.

you have big and small and tasty backwards!!!

#spike bull is perfect if for meat

big old herd cow is probably an old bitch that is tough as hell

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I couldnt imagine sending in for a once in a lifetime cow tag... But thats just me.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND elk tag would be right up there with NM if nonresident hunters could apply. We have an unbelievably high rate of trophy bulls to small bull take out west. Hell we had the highest scoring elk ever taken up till a few years back! If you put in the work your odds at a giant are as good as you will find anywhere without a fence.

- - - Updated - - -

Shot north of Beach I believe circa 2006 or 2007- 6x6 - 393 B&C.. Shot at 400 yards 3
times with a 300 Win Mag. As is he would be #3 All time for North Dakota.
Screenshot_2016-11-05-21-53-32.jpg
I will see that bull and raise you 455 No 6 in the world.

chadmillerbull1115.jpg

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shot north of Beach I believe circa 2006 or 2007- 6x6 - 393 B&C.. Shot at 400 yards 3
times with a 300 Win Mag. As is he would be #3 All time for North Dakota.
Screenshot_2016-11-05-21-53-32.jpg

One question....did they score that as a typical 5x6?

- - - Updated - - -

Just found this article and all I could do is shake my head and say wow! This article shows better what a few of us on this thread have been trying to get across on how huge our elk are better then we could ever hope to do. Just watch the east bulls and read the captions.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/g...04/trophy-elk-hunting-future-elk-hunting-east

Last edited:

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
One question....did they score that as a typical 5x6?

- - - Updated - - -

Just found this article and all I could do is shake my head and say wow! This article shows better what a few of us on this thread have been trying to get across on how huge our elk are better then we could ever hope to do. Just watch the east bulls and read the captions.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/g...04/trophy-elk-hunting-future-elk-hunting-east

Cool article.

that guy did a european mount on a 378" elk from a once in a lifetime hunt in ND. wow

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know the feser bull had been in the park so long that the guys were able to shout to each other as they moved in on it from opposite sides of the bull. Either way I sure the hell wouldn't care if he was that tame he would have gone down in a hurry.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes you are completely backwards on this....especially when you factor in that cow elk tags are a nearly 100% draw rate but have by far and away the lowest success rate for any tag for any animal in ND!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 35