Big 3 Lottery

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been looking at lottery numbers in other states and it got me thinking about our own Big 3 draw stats and if there would be a better way to increase odds.

If you could only apply for one of the three each year, which would you choose, Elk, Moose or Bighorn Sheep?

I was going to post this as a poll but can't figure that out, if someone would want to that would be great.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The big horn is to easy, moose somewhat farmers love when knock on their door, Elk a lot harder. Been applying since 1989 for all three a no go. All ready have shoot all 3 in different states would be fun just because.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Being I already had the Moose and Elk I would go for Bighorn.

I said when I retire was going to pull 30,000 or 40,000 out of my 401K and buy the the tag. Now that I'm a few months away from retirement it's not that important to me anymore.

yellowlab

Founding Member
Founding Member

I said when I retire was going to pull 30,000 or 40,000 out of my 401K and buy the the tag. Now that I'm a few months away from retirement it's not that important to me anymore.
Plus it sold this year for $165,000.

Absolutely crazy what people will spend for a sheep.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. Bighorn Sheep 2. Moose 3. Elk. I have always had a fascination about sheep hunts but the price for any kind of sheep hunt is painful. Moose have just something cool about them especially the Canadian Moose but a trip to the Yukon is not in my financial reach. Elk while still getting to be pricey is slightly more attenable if a person wants to go elk hunting somewhere.
Check out the story of a 15yr sophomore girl tagging out her once in a lifetime Nebraska Bighorn. The other tag that they released for auction sold for $370,000 this year
https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/first-nebraska-female-bighorn-ram/

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Auction tags get crazy expensive but the last time I paid attention to the ND tag it was auctioned by the Bighorn Sheep Foundation, or some organization similar. That makes it a donation and a tax write-off. I wish I were in a position to need a $100,000+ write-off donation.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Should of start applying in Wyoming years ago I have a good source for help and she is good at it lives in Cody. Hangs out in mountains north and scouts all the time. Big horn and mountain goat.

NodakBob

Honored Member
I see bighorns every year while bowhunting deer, so I would go bighorn 1st, elk 2nd and moose last.

NodakBob

Honored Member
IMG_3136.jpeg

Had these within bow range this year…

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
One really needs to have some type of business, or place to "write off" that scientist income.
Being punished for success is so counter productive, and absolutely insane.
I'm reminded of this every time I get a stretch of lots of overtime piled up and I see that I barely made much more than say 48-50hr per week or when we get a bonus because our store location did well, Uncle Sam loves taking that money. Not sure how true it is now but in my previous job we figured out roughly 52hrs per week was the sweet spot for making really nice take home pay before you jump tax bracket and work for pennies on the dollar by the time taxes were taken out.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm reminded of this every time I get a stretch of lots of overtime piled up and I see that I barely made much more than say 48-50hr per week or when we get a bonus because our store location did well, Uncle Sam loves taking that money. Not sure how true it is now but in my previous job we figured out roughly 52hrs per week was the sweet spot for making really nice take home pay before you jump tax bracket and work for pennies on the dollar by the time taxes were taken out.
sonsabitches

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88