Big Buddy Cooking Ideas

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen mods on other sites, but wondering what folks here do to turn their Big Buddy into a cooking machine! I've flipped the grate around but had to support with wire - mine wanted to rotate down. There have to be better options out there. And I'm not sold at all on the "Flex" - seems like a gimmick to me since you can't cook and heat at the same time, and it's not near the heat output of my Big Buddy.

Looking forward to the backyard engineering....Go!

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
They make some racks for them. If you're too cheap, look at how they're made and copy the design to make your own.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well now...that's not the backyard engineering I expected from this crowd! If I wanted to buy it I would just do that instead....

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used a very small weber grill wire rack, wedged it in the front grates of the big buddy and used a support stick,, worked just fine for cooking hotdogs until I had the brilliant idea to put tinfoil over the wire rack. the heat got trapped under it and came up under the big buddy handle and melted it bad. I have also seen people used a metal paint roller thingy for cooking on, but am not sure about cooking on galvanized steel.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I can't remember what its called. I got a grate from home depot for under 5 bucks. I will do some digging to see if I can find it online or I will take a picture of it when I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN9aua5ME48. This is what I use.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't remember what its called. I got a grate from home depot for under 5 bucks. I will do some digging to see if I can find it online or I will take a picture of it when I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

so the dude hangs a metal wire grate on a plastic buddy heater carry handle to heat up a hotdog or a piece of day old gas station pizza. Hard pass on that. I think I’ll stick to sandwiches or jerky. If I really want to cook, I’ll bring the Weber Q with.

Not slamming you Hamm, just the guy in the video.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a cooling rack that I found and it slides snug in between the carrying handle. Have never had any issues with melting any of the plastic. Have cooked mini pizzas on it, brats etc...... I use tin foil on the rack so no grease falls onto the ceramic, but not all the way to the back, so some heat can dissipate.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I have never had the handle get hot. I have the bigger heater with two panels so the handle is more in the middle not laid back like his. No offense taken, it works for me thought I would share.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been heating up deer sausage on my little sunflower heater for years.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
LD Hotrack. Its specifically designed for the big buddys.
I cook brats on it all of the time. Then my buds just phone in their order and do a fly by food pickup just like mcdonalds.

6.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Would for sure never ever cook on a galvanized paint screen. 100% no thanks.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been known to put tinfoil on a metal ice scooper suspended from the ceiling with chalk line . It's a rotisserie, wind it up and it will keep rotating back and forth and cook evenly.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would for sure never ever cook on a galvanized paint screen. 100% no thanks.
It can collect in the brain like lead. It causes a condition called metal fever. Years ago they had galvanized screen on some of those survival candles to carry in your car. Bad idea.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been known to put tinfoil on a metal ice scooper suspended from the ceiling with chalk line . It's a rotisserie, wind it up and it will keep rotating back and forth and cook evenly.

Do you wear a tinfoil hat also?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys - now THAT's the spirit! I'm surprised someone hasn't welded up a custom grill to fit or something....

So far I think that flipping the original protective grate upside down and wiring it to the handle seems like the route I'll continue to use unless I get ambitious and decide to design something else.

Anyone use the heat powered stove fans on top to spread heat in the shack? I bought one this year and it works well....silent, no batteries, easy to mod and install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtC64I13vqI

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys - now THAT's the spirit! I'm surprised someone hasn't welded up a custom grill to fit or something....

So far I think that flipping the original protective grate upside down and wiring it to the handle seems like the route I'll continue to use unless I get ambitious and decide to design something else.

Anyone use the heat powered stove fans on top to spread heat in the shack? I bought one this year and it works well....silent, no batteries, easy to mod and install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtC64I13vqI

scheels sells little grill attachments for them

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009PUR5E/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Got something like this from Ace a couple years ago, not coleman brand i don't think but came with feet that makes it stable enough for a frying pan/pot. Cooks sausage like a charm, also have deep fried fish over it. Works awesome.
Tried the buddy heater racks similar to the paint try deals, worked ok until the heater handle melted

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33