Big Buddy Heater in Ground Blind

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to move my ground blind to a new location that I found during rifle season since I still have a bow tag to fill. Its a shelter belt and old farm yard. I'm thinking about setting up my big buddy heater so on the colder mornings I can take the chill off. Has anyone done this? Will the propane give off enough of a scent that it will spook the deer? Due to layout and the direction the deer mostly travel from I'll have to set my blind up north and east of their main route so most days i'll probably be somewhat up wind from them or at a cross wind.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd seriously consider finding a place on the south side of their travel route and building a spot to hide your blind in. Being upwind of the deer with stick and string isn't a winning proposition in most cases. Especially on the ground. A ground blind covered in tumbleweeds, koshia, or other tall weeds can be set just about anywhere and blend in. Add a few light and thin tree branches and you can be assured that most of the deer won't go on alert. Good Luck! Hope you find success!

Should have mentioned that the light from the heater will do more damage to your hunt than the scent. The glow will make moving inside the blind in that twilight period of morning and evening darn near impossible as you will be illuminated. The hiss doesn't seem to bother them either. Again, Good Luck!

Last edited:

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd seriously consider finding a place on the south side of their travel route and building a spot to hide your blind in. Being upwind of the deer with stick and string isn't a winning proposition in most cases. Especially on the ground. A ground blind covered in tumbleweeds, koshia, or other tall weeds can be set just about anywhere and blend in. Add a few light and thin tree branches and you can be assured that most of the deer won't go on alert. Good Luck! Hope you find success!

This is good advice...

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe I should have given a little more detail on the directions. The main tree row runs NE and on the north end there's a large patch of trees that runs east to west. My plan is to set up on the patch that runs east and west, about 30 yards east from the long tree row. This would put me about 80 yards east of the south entrance to the trees.

One of the reasons I planned the spot I did was because I have to access the area from the north, so to get through to the south end I'd have to cross a slough and the entire shelter belt. Also, to the south of the shelter belt is pasture that is well grazed and the deer funnel in on several trails from different directions. The south end would be a good pinch point, but I was worried about still being up wind of deer coming from the SE.

I know being up wind is a risk but with a west wind I'd be in good shape, NW wind would be pretty safe depending on the exact wind direction that day, a straight north wind might be questionable. A NE wind would be the only time I'd really have to worry about scent going directly in the direction of where i expect the deer to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, that's good advice on the light from the heater. I never thought of that. Maybe I can find a way to hide the light.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like you'll have to sacrifice a few travel routes regardless of wind. No problem on the light. IME, it's best to suck it up until morning daylight before starting the heater and then shut it off well before the dusk in the evening. An hour or so without a heater shouldn't result in hypothermia or frost bite. (Grin) Good Luck Again!!!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy heaters work well in blinds until the pilot light blows
out. Bring a lighter with as the spark button is too loud to push.

sponsy12

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would not recommend using a lighter to light the pilot light... I did this while ice fishing and ended up having flames coming out places that I didn't think flames could come out of on the heater. Have heard of similar experiences of other people as well...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33