Big muddy almost 40 takes it..uffda!

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does ND G&F regs allow fish to be released once in the live well?

From the ND regs: No fish may be returned to the water after being held on a stringer or confined by or in any type of holding structure, except in the case of approved live-release fishing tournaments and only with written permission from the Game and Fish director.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to worry every time I saw a big fish removed from the river. I still don't keep them myself, but if you ever watched the ND G & F shock certain areas, there are a LOT more fish than I ever guessed. I fish a certain spot quite regularly, and for years, and when I saw them harvest fish, my jaw fell open.

I think that the fish removed, for this tournament, have a very small effect on the overall population.

Couple weeks ago a guy caught (and kept - for the wall) a 13.88 lb eye from the Missouri River. Some guy commented that we should have a closed season, like in MN, so these fish could spawn in peace. I wonder, with 7 times the population of ND, maybe that's a good idea in MN. But I think we're doing a pretty darned good job with the fisheries here. There's been a lot of big fish caught in the MO and the Red this spring. I think things are working out nicely.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
A big thumbs up to all the teams of this tournament and a double thumbs up for those teams that really knocked it out of the park. Wow, very impressive weights.

On a side note, keeping the fishing season open year round is what Makes North Dakota Great. No need to shut it down. The system won't even notice the big fish taken. If you want to talk slots for a very specific window of time, I'd at least be open to listening to this argument but let's stop this talk about shutting the season down.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Water levels, forage and Mother Nature will trump us every time. Keep it the way it is and just say no to 'sconnies.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with ahab by far water level and with the water being high the smelt spawn on the river should be good (bonus) good times acoming.

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wonder if these are the same guys that beat up on a weekend fishermen for keeping big females. Apparently those taken by tournament guys don't spawn.

Yes, many are.. hypocrites?

I am not a fan of the Big Muddy tournament for a variety reasons... I used to fish it, but have chose not to anymore.

But I guarantee you that these guys fishing this tournament catch and release more big females than most people. Them keeping their big fish one day out of the year is not going to hurt the river system.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
I am not a fan of the Big Muddy tournament for a variety reasons... I used to fish it, but have chose not to anymore.

But I guarantee you that these guys fishing this tournament catch and release more big females than most people. Them keeping their big fish one day out of the year is not going to hurt the river system.

Coyote, I agree. Most of these fisherman would rather release those big fish. The blame goes to those running the Big Muddy. It's easier for them to kill the fish than to figure out a way to catch and release like other tournaments do.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Missouri River is a boom and bust system. We are always one year away from a major drought or a flood that will wash away the forage or spawning habitat. These fish got this big without slot limits or closed seasons. To do either at this point would make no sense. Get while the getting good. ND fishing is probably the best it’s ever been as a whole for all species.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member

None of the people squawking about releasing these fish or a slot limit will ever know how many huge fish get released by the GREAT fishermen on this river system.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
None of the people squawking about releasing these fish or a slot limit will ever know how many huge fish get released by the GREAT fishermen on this river system.

Amen. I'm a little guppy in a big toilet bowl, but I release MOST of the fish I catch, big and small. And I can't be alone.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Missouri River is a boom and bust system. We are always one year away from a major drought or a flood that will wash away the forage or spawning habitat. These fish got this big without slot limits or closed seasons. To do either at this point would make no sense. Get while the getting good. ND fishing is probably the best it’s ever been as a whole for all species.

^^^^^THIS x 100 ^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

ONE correction, SD does have a slot on OAHE. I know some dumb aszes down there who actually think SD slots are why Bismark is catching these pigs.....SMH...

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^^THIS x 100 ^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

ONE correction, SD does have a slot on OAHE. I know some dumb aszes down there who actually think SD slots are why Bismark is catching these pigs.....SMH...

Haha! If that's true, good for us. Keep up the good work. I bet the closed season in MN is also helping Bismarck's Pig Factory.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

GREAT fishermen?

pfft... We Beasts from the East are forced to become experts because there's only maybe 12 walleyes in the eastern third of the state so you better know what you're doing if you hope to angle one.

You goat ropers are up to your elbows in walleyes - you probably snag what... half of them?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33