Bill proposed for Crossbow Hunting

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Dad is the same way Wildyote. I've tried to get him to just get the permit, but he won't. As much as I'd like to bow hunt with him, it's his choice not to get the permit. The mechanism is in place and if this 65 and older thing passes, it will become more of a pride thing to him. The fact is, in essence we would be placing a "Stigma" on using a crossbow that suggests that by using a crossbow, you are old, need special help, and are somehow handicapped. What makes you think your Dad will hunt with a crossbow, even if he didn't need to have a permit? My Dad is as proud as they come, and I can almost guarantee you that if this 65 and older thing passes, he won't do it anyway as to him it would be a sign of weakness. Kind of like requiring everyone 65 and older to take a drivers exam every 2 years. My Dad HATES that stuff. It just reminds him more and more of what he can't do anymore. I'm pretty sure he would stay home, keep a stiff upper lip, and tell everyone he doesn't want to go bow hunting. I say that because that's what he does now. Lots of angles to look at.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I can't say that I'm against this change. At the same time I don't see a need for the change. It's not difficult to get a medical exemption. For those who think the change gives a group an unfair advantage, the same argument was used with compound bows as well as in-line muzzleloaders. Our sport is constantly changing. Think back when the #1 deer rifle was the 30-30 with a relatively short range compared to the long shooting rifles of today.

As I am of the age where I would qualify, but do not yet need, it bothers me that I am considered an age where I need special rules. The only special rule I would really like is the issuance of a mule deer buck tag annually or at least every other year. Hell, we're considering making it easier for someone like me to shoot a deer but won't let me drive off trail on federal land to retrieve.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Me to. Us seniors get a mule deer tag every two years. So few years left and you sure as hell can not hunt when your over whatever you view as old age kids.
i will soon need a cross bow but do view as a sign not so much weakness but old age and that takes time to accept.
go back to recurve and flintlocks has some merit but will not happen.
But I can still shoot with a Mathews and the bow will be in the picture.
cross bow days will say I arrow him with no weapon in the picture but I will hunt with a cross bow and just be fine with it.
The right excersize program will keep me in the Mathews for some time yet. Db

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys worry about deer being killed how about address the elephant in the room. Gun season during the rut. A few more old people with cross bows mean nothing .
So when would you begin deer hunting when the does are pregnant or when farmers are still harvesting crops in the fall. Or maybe after the first when the bucks have dropped their horns.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes as a person who would then auto gualify for a cross bow the system now is just fine. Go to your doctor and get a permit if you need one. As retire ed stated I do not need special rules for me just because I am old. Whem i am unable to pull the bow back there are rules to cover me now. Db

- - - Updated - - -

Road open close to half mile of food plot this morning so decided to walk up. About 300-400 yards each step was above my knees in snow so took time and double the time getting back. But camera showed a couple of handful of deer have stay and not moved to the bigger herds near by.
snow is up to the corn cobs. May be no more wind for the next two months. One can hope. Db

bones32

Love the idea of letting them have the option to use a crossbow. Although I hope it doesn't translate into legalizing crossbows for all age groups. Takes the fun and thrill out of bow hunting when you can use a crossbow in my mind.

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never shot a crossbow and I'm kind of wondering if they would be that much of an advantage over the new compounds? I can see the not having to draw part. Are they that much more accurate than the new bows? I don't shoot nearly as much as I should and I can still shoot a pretty fair group at 50 yards or more. I don't think allowing them for seniors would amount to that many more people hunting.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So when would you begin deer hunting when the does are pregnant or when farmers are still harvesting crops in the fall. Or maybe after the first when the bucks have dropped their horns.

Well if deer numbers are a concern before all corn is harvested would save alot. First of December no horns have dropped . The best thing that happened here was early snow all the corn was left in lots of deer lived as it took all the lazy hunters out of the equation. It's all a bunch of words till your gfp decides to start managing deer by science vs money

- - - Updated - - -

I would welcome a earlier season down here to get the rifle season out of the rut

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love deer hunting the rut. I dont think they should change it.

I also think you should be able to utilize w/e damn weapon you choose.

I ALSO love Over The Counter archery permits in ND and being able to chase whitetails and muleys statewide until I harvest an animal, which is a WONDERFUL thing about our archery season. The opportunity to get out and hunt is already excellent and like stated, you have a way to get crossbow permit.

I dont want to do ANYTHING to jeopardize our archery season and how it functions now. It allows the MOST people, the MOST opportunity to get afield. If they do away with it or go to a 1 tag system like they wanted, opportunities to go afield in ND will be diminished.

I dont think the added benefit of this Bill outweighs its potential risk. My .02.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crossbows arent any better than a traditional bow, there are benefits and drawbacks to both. I have hunted with both. Anything we can do to encourage more people to sling arrows or bolts benefits the entire group, there is strength in numbers. I support this bill.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
ndlongshot and lycanthrope both make good points. Crossbows will have no affect on number of deer shot, but it may be an excuse for the out the pickup window gun hunters to cry for a one tag system. Don't get me wrong I love gun hunting, but when I go to meetings and see those who complain I know how they hunt. I know them. Unfortunately there are some traditional archers who would outlaw even compounds given their choice. Low numbers low political impact. If you represent one of 10K people a politician will listen to you. If you represent one of a 1K they wouldn't give you the time of day. I can still pull 75 pounds so I have a long way to go before I have to think about a crossbow. As a matter of fact I like my 52 pound longbow more every day, but I'll never be a hypocrite and complain about compounds or crossbows. I'll limit my range, but that's my choice and no reason to complain about the guy who can shoot further. What bow I leave the house with depends on my mood of the day.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys worry about deer being killed how about address the elephant in the room. Gun season during the rut. A few more old people with cross bows mean nothing .

Bingo, It has been my way of thinking since I have lived in Iowa for 3 years (who doesn't start their major firearm season until the first week in December).

If we want to expand hunting opportunities with our low deer population we need to break from that 70% harvest rate.

Stop having the rifle season during the peak of the rut and/or cut down on the 17 day season. I love hunting the rut just as much as the next guy, but people need to wake up and understand times/habitat/numbers have changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Crossbows arent any better than a traditional bow, there are benefits and drawbacks to both. I have hunted with both. Anything we can do to encourage more people to sling arrows or bolts benefits the entire group, there is strength in numbers. I support this bill.

I am not opposed to crossbows, but I don't share the same thought on crossbows aren't any better than a traditional bow or even compound bows.
New crossbows can send a 400 grain bolt at 425fps with very little to no observed movement. If legal to use I could buy one, practice for a day and head out into the field with my crossbow and ghillie suit and feel confident I could down any deer coming within 70 yards. Since you can release a bolt/arrow with very little movement I would also just stay on the ground and not feel the need to be in a tree or in a ground blind. This would also allow me to hunt a lot farther from my vehicle and open up many other locations (considering trees and thick ground cover can be hard to come by in ND).

Sure if you have land to hunt that allows you to keep dozens of tree stands up and the stands are all set up for shots under 25 yards then there is very little difference between success of the weapons.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good stuff. Used a compound and a crossbow in my previous life in Ohio. To me, the line between crossbows and compounds vanished a long time ago. With the left offs, cams, releases, carbon arrows, etc..., today's compounds are a far cry from what archery used to be. Seems like 50 to 70 yard shots are fairly common. You still have to practice, still have to put in the effort of scouting, still have to get in close, still have to make a good shot. Would love to see these guys and gals on tv lose their tricked out compounds and pick up a recurve or long bow and use it. Maybe for muzzleloader we get rid of all the inlines and go flintlock only? Maybe that would save a couple hundred deer from getting killed each year. Just make them legal for everyone, crossbows are not the instant death rays, 100 % killing machines many think they are. Too bad people get so worked up about opening up a way for more people to hunt when our ranks are thinning out.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not having to move to draw back and therefore not having to set up tree stands or ground blinds for crossbows give them a huge advantage over regular bows. They also don't take near the practice to become effective at ranges over 50yds. They are basically a short range rifle. You can use your crossbows and in-line muzzle loaders all you want during the rifle season.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of off topic but I think still applicable to this thread. Consider legalizing crossbows for all of archery season, but move to a 1 tag per person system. People have to realize this is a no win situation and you have to make the best of it. Allowing crossbows during archery season might make some rifle only hunters more open to utilizing one.

Thinking more outside the box and looking for ways to increase opportunities during a time when our deer herd is getting reduced (assuming this winter kill is going to be bad.)

1 tag per person and you have to pick your season/lottery

season 1 - bow or crossbow can be used - similar dates to now
season 2 - rifle/firearm/crossbow/bow - 10 days long, opening second weekend of Nov.
season 3 - Muzzleloader/bow/crossbow - 17 days long, opening after close of rifle season

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to a one tag system is not increasing opportunity. Quite the opposite.

And forcing people into choosing 1 season is also decreasing everyone opportunity.

The ONLY way a 1 tag scenario makes ANY sort of sense (and I hate the idea)....is that you get a deer tag and you get to pursue with any weapon, during any season of your choice. When you harvest an animal you are done. But dont make a person pick before season. I may hunt with a bow unsuccessfully, and a rifle, and choose to shoot one with my muzzleloader.

That way I get to hunt as much as I want with whatever weapon I want.

Making a guy choose one season to apply for is going to piss off alot of hunters.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The challenge of bow hunting is getting close and pulling the bow back without being seen. Legalizing a crossbow for regular bow season is RIDICULOUS! Everybody will be sitting on the ground with a crossbow. It would be way to easy.

- - - Updated - - -

I know many 65 year olds that are in better shape than many of the fatasses half their age. 65 isnt even old.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bingo, It has been my way of thinking since I have lived in Iowa for 3 years (who doesn't start their major firearm season until the first week in December).

If we want to expand hunting opportunities with our low deer population we need to break from that 70% harvest rate.

Stop having the rifle season during the peak of the rut and/or cut down on the 17 day season. I love hunting the rut just as much as the next guy, but people need to wake up and understand times/habitat/numbers have changed.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not opposed to crossbows, but I don't share the same thought on crossbows aren't any better than a traditional bow or even compound bows.
New crossbows can send a 400 grain bolt at 425fps with very little to no observed movement. If legal to use I could buy one, practice for a day and head out into the field with my crossbow and ghillie suit and feel confident I could down any deer coming within 70 yards. Since you can release a bolt/arrow with very little movement I would also just stay on the ground and not feel the need to be in a tree or in a ground blind. This would also allow me to hunt a lot farther from my vehicle and open up many other locations (considering trees and thick ground cover can be hard to come by in ND).

Sure if you have land to hunt that allows you to keep dozens of tree stands up and the stands are all set up for shots under 25 yards then there is very little difference between success of the weapons.

for a few seasons and you will sing a different tune. Like I said, there are benefits and DRAWBACKS to both.
You are wrong about many of your xbow assumptions. Hunt with one

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 1
  • This month: 1
Top Bottom