Bismarck - Best Tiger Meat?

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
Here is the recipe from Meat Eater for venison, guessing it would also work with ground chuck.
Venison Tiger Meat

VENISON TIGER MEAT​

(1)
  • DURATION​

10 minutes
  • SKILL LEVEL​

Beginner
  • SERVES​

CHEF’S NOTES
Germans where I grew up in the Great Plains refer to this appetizer as tiger meat, while those around the Great Lakes call it a cannibal sandwich. Although it’s not made from tiger or human flesh, this still isn’t a dish for the squeamish.
That’s because this little-known hors d'oeuvre is a combination of raw meat, raw egg, raw onion, and lots of spices. It’s an acquired taste, and one I’d say I didn’t develop until after high school. Thankfully I had plenty of chances, as tiger meat is a staple of ice fishing trips, holiday get-togethers, and dive bars across the Dakotas.
It’s usually spread across a saltine or rye bread and washed down with a light beer.

INGREDIENTS​

• 1 lb. raw ground meat
  • 1 raw egg
  • 4 dashes tabasco sauce
  • ¼ cup finely diced onion
  • 1 tbsp. black pepper
  • 1 tbsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • Crackers and bread for serving

PREPARATION​

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and thoroughly mix with your hands.
  2. Place in an airtight bag and refrigerate for 8 hours.
  3. Eat with crackers and bread. If serving at a party, place the tiger meat in a bowl that sits in an ice bath (see feature image).
  4. If you don’t eat it all within two days, then cook it with eggs or hashbrowns for breakfast.

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/venison-tartare-recipe

https://www.themeateater.com/wild-and-whole/wild-recipes/duck-and-avocado-tartare

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/pan-fried-venison-tongue-recipe

https://www.themeateater.com/conservation

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not use fucking horse like in France? :sick: I guess plain horse would also work,

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah. i guess. all hamburger is sold raw obviously. its just the implication that you are supposed to eat the tiger meat raw. which to my understanding is sort of a no no unless you have ground it yourself from whole muscle meat cuts or insured the butcher did the same on clean equpment. one absolute no no would be to go to a big box store, buy hamburger, make it yourself and serve it to everyone at the super bowl party. the potential for e-coli contamination in run of the mill hamburger is much greater than that ground at home from whole muscle cuts.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im pretty sure I read on the label from the last batch of tiger meat I got it said “not safe for raw consumption cook to internal temp of 145” or something like that. Pretty sure that was just a CYA for butcher block though.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Was at a meeting years ago in CA at Half Moon Bay. The first night was a social and they had all kinds of goodies , including Steak Tartare aka Tiger meat . Only me and one lady would eat it , so we had as much as we wanted . It was great and tasted basically identical to BB and 3B

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My grandparents owned one of the grocery stores in Dickinson back in the 60's and 70's. They made their own homemade Tiger meat had onions, green peppers, and apples in it. Still have the recipe. Its always good.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My grandparents owned one of the grocery stores in Dickinson back in the 60's and 70's. They made their own homemade Tiger meat had onions, green peppers, and apples in it. Still have the recipe. Its always good.
Interested if you want to PM it to me. 😊

grumster

★★★★ Legendary Member
Im pretty sure I read on the label from the last batch of tiger meat I got it said “not safe for raw consumption cook to internal temp of 145” or something like that. Pretty sure that was just a CYA for butcher block though.
Yep, just like every other pound of burger you buy at the store.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Made this is very good

Tiger Meat Recipe

Ingredients

– 3 tsp. cayenne pepper
– 16 dashes Tabasco sauce
– 1 large red onion, diced
– 3 sticks celery, diced
– 4 Tbsp. black pepper
– 4 Tbsp. ground coarse sea salt
– 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
– 5 lbs. sirloin ground
– 5 raw eggs yolk*

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I could stomach it. I don't have a stomach anyways but noway Jose.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84