Bismarck guy looking to learn

mikejennens

I haven't ever been fly fishing, but I'm retiring soon and would like to give it a try this spring. I live about two miles north of Misty Waters Marina, so there is a nice creek very close to where I live. I don't even know what questions to ask. Any advice or other Bismarck area fly fishermen willing to help a new guy?
Thanks in advance!
Mike

Last edited:

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Years ago there was a bunch of guy's that fly fished a t Northgate Dam and they were from Bismarck, those guy's could really catch the Walleye's, they used tubes and frog feet to get around

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always wanted to get into fly fishing too. Always thought it would be a ball on a panfish lake. Several years ago I actually bought an el cheapo fly rod combo for like $50 cause I didn't want to drop a couple hundred dollars on a decent setup if I wasn't sure if I liked it. I still haven't taken it out of the package yet. I imagine when I do try to use it because its just a snoopy rod version of a real setup it might cause me more frustration than it should.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My son lives in the flathead valley and he got into fly fishing. I decided to go with him on several occasions and kinda got hooked (pun intended). A couple of years ago, I hired a guide with a drift boat and altho I'm no master, I learned tons from that guide. You might try that route.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Missouri tributaries and backwaters hold carp, pike, bass, etc. and all can be had on a fly. I keep threatening to throw a fly rod in the rod locker for the rare calm wind days when the surface is full of lips and fins.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
If are willing to travel to Devils Lake, I recall a guy catching a state record whist fly fishing a few years back. You may have to google

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of info on YouTube of course. A few good videos on what to buy and how to practice as a beginner.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont be afraid to try pike on a fly rod, especially in the spring time.. Good on you for trying something new.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm,another thought,once retired,road trip to Bozeman Montana, several quality fly shops in town,fly tying,casting schools,world class trout waters nearby....

What a great way to start your retirement.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
start out with bluegills ---- doesnt that little pond outside of bis have em.

Thats what i did before hitting the big stuff

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fly fishing for pike is awesome. I caught a 43” pike and a couple other 40’s last year in Canada. Also caught a 26” walleye. It was a hoot. Don’t be afraid to try. YouTube is full of good info.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Panfish at the local small lakes and river bays are probably the easiest way to get into the sport. Any smaller bead head nymph should be like candy to them. I spent countless hours as a kid at Mcdowell catching bluegill, bass and the occasional trout. After that a guy can start targeting Pike, Bass, carp etc. on other various lakes and river backwater. Also, fish creek dam is probably the best place to catch trout on the fly rod.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't ever been fly fishing, but I'm retiring soon and would like to give it a try this spring. I live about two miles north of Misty Waters Marina, so there is a nice creek very close to where I live. I don't even know what questions to ask. Any advice or other Bismarck area fly fishermen willing to help a new guy?
Thanks in advance!
Mike

There should be some panfish in the Misty Waters Marina, or even Burnt Creek where it comes by Hoge Island. So there are places close to home for you. Another place I see fly fishing is out at McDowell Dam east of Bismarck a mere 6 miles, or so. You will find bluegill aplenty, LM bass, and stocked trout out at McDowell. I see people using fly rods out there just about every time I visit the place.

At one point there was a fly fishing club in Bismarck. Not sure if they still exist, but Wade down at Dakota Tackle might be able to point you in the right direction if they do.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That fly line hits like a whip found out the hard way when i pissed my little brother off

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well more to fly fishing than your fishing spot,little schooling before you take your training wheels off.

Equipment, fly casting techniques etc,just like our walleye sticks,different tools for different applications,rod length,fly variations, tippets,knot tying varies,reels used,like all specialty fishing,never looked at what youtube has to offer as mentioned above,but worth checking out,fly casting is an art to be good so many techniques.

You'll surely have fun learning, panfish are easy targets,not finicky eaters like matching hatches for trout.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84