boat battery questions

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a fairly new boat owner and just purchased a used boat from a private party last fall. I plan on replacing the batteries in my boat. I have 2 batteries for the trolling motor and one for starting. Question is: which batteries are best for each application? A dual purpose? Or is a cranking for the motor and deep cycle for the trolling motors better than dual purpose? Also, what brand do you guys use and what specs (ie: cranking amps and capacity)? I'd like to keep them somewhat reasonable as I'm not paying $200 or $250 for each battery, but also want a good battery that will last and hold a charge.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deep cycle all the way because they have thicker plates and are designed to handle being discharged further and handle faster or higher amperage charge rates without warping the lead plates inside which is what causes most regular batteries to go bad early and they will also handle the rough pounding a bit better as well.
I would go with higher reserve capacity battery over higher cranking amperage as well. You would have little use for hgh cranking amperage on anything on a boat, not like trying to start a cold diesel @ 10 below.
The higher the cranking amperage a battery has the lower the reserve capacity is so it will not last as long where you want it to on a boat with constant draws on it.

I do not buy by brand name i buy based on cost and who offers the longest prorated warranty for replacement.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any number of deep cycle batteries would work best for the trolling motor. For a starting battery I really do like the Interstate XHD (extra heavy duty) series.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
For your trolling motor AGM’s are the way to go…properly taken care should get 5-7 years out of them…worth the investment I have gone through two sets of regular deep cycle in the last 7 years…when my current set fails it will be replaced by AGM’s. I have always used just a regular battery for the starting usually try to get the most CCA that will fit
As far as brands go it’s a horse a piece, it’s like saying should I buy a Dodge or a Turnip?…maintenance and proper care are much more important than brand name…keep them charged and unfrozen...and for the record always pick Turnip ;)

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fleet Farm AGM's for all 3. "Marine" Batteries for the trolling motor. Marine "Starting and Deep Cycle" for the main motor.

Watch their Sunday ads as they run sales on them fairly regular.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wanted to go with the fleet farms last year and they stopped their sale by the time I got to Fargo. I'll replace the walmart ones with agm's when these go to crap in a couple years.

WT2121

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes Interstate Battery has blems. Purchased two deepcycle for $45 each two years ago. Usually only have a year or less warranty but I have had them last four to five years.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy the biggest that fit in your battery case AGM overrated. I use my trolling motor exclusively. 6 year life out of them. Spend some more money on starting battery. Charge when done and u will not have and issue

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Right now I have Interstates for both Trolling and starting. Size 29 for the trolling motor 2 hooked in line for 12 volt operation will last all weekend on my 16-5 Alumacraft. Starting battery is original from when a bought the boat new in 2008, size 24 if I remember right. They are kept in a unheated garage in the winter with trickle charge on from Nov to break out in spring. Going to have the starting bat. tested this spring before I head out or just buy new one to be safe. 8 years of use I would say that's damed good for the money. Trollers are 3 years old and going strong as of last fall.

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
There are only about 4 battery manufacturers out there they just put a different name on them and specs are a little different. I use the ever starts from Walmart they give you 2 year free replacement and 3 more years prorated. Can't complain about that warranty.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
i pitch in shallows with electric motor for 3-4 months in the summer. AGM batteries from NAPA run about $210 a piece and last me 3-4 years. Run them 2-4 days a week at 10-90% power depending on wind and have never in my life had to stop fishing due to dead batteries.
Boat is full of thousands of dollars in electronics, rods, reels, lures, etc. why would you shit around with a wal-mart battery?? Unless thats where your boat is from.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've run the Walmart maxx 29 on my terrova since 07 I have bought 4 batteries, 2 in 07 and 2 in 13. 350 bucks in Ten years can't really complain about that, the starting battery I have had 3 interstates in 4 years and 2 ever start group 24s all dual purpose or deep cycle in 6 years, and need another one this year.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
yup and if you run a 36 volt -- its even better --- you cant run em down.

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
I've spent lots of money on all the different top end batteries over the years and the walmart batteries last just as long for half the price. More money for equipment.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still trying to research batteries and learn more about them. So, I've read a couple times now where they say if you are going to replace batteries on a boat, replace them all at once and that you can't run an AGM and a non-AGM at the same time (or something like that). Does that only pertain if you are running 2 batteries together for trolling motor. Or does that mean my 2 trolling motor batteries need to be the same as my starting? Doesn't make any sense to me. I was hoping to only replace my starter this year, and then my trolling motor batteries some other time. Although I don't have a trickle charger on any of them so I may be screwed.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've run the Walmart maxx 29 on my terrova since 07 I have bought 4 batteries, 2 in 07 and 2 in 13. 350 bucks in Ten years can't really complain about that, the starting battery I have had 3 interstates in 4 years and 2 ever start group 24s all dual purpose or deep cycle in 6 years, and need another one this year.

I hear yea, I've had a lot of boats over the years and the Maxx 29s have been darn good batteries for the money and you can't beat the warranty. " I do think the older ones were much better years ago, I read somewhere that the new ones are like 15 lbs lighter than ones from a couple years ago".
I hear good things about CAT batteries also.
My brother bought an older viper and it had trojan batteries in it that were a couple years old and they must be at least 6-8 years old now and you can still fish from dark to dark and never get past 1/2 power on the terrova indication. Pretty amazing but I know they are pricey.

I'm like you and get sick and tired of starting batteries that go down on a guy from all the abuse we throw at them in a day with livewells,multiple big graphs, stereos and trying to start giant outboards.
I bought one of these for this year, going to see how it hold up this season.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FFVI8A/?tag=nodakangler10-20

51jVitzHheL._SX425_.jpg

Some good trolling motor battery review info.

https://themarinebattery.com/

https://batteryasking.com/best-marine-battery/

http://www.trollingbatterycenter.com/best-marine-battery-reviews/

Last edited:

4Buck

Founding Member
Founding Member

How does the Walmart maxx 29 do for a starting battery? I would like something a little better for running the electronics and pumps then my Interstate 24 series.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never bought expensive batteries either. Have some "Energizer" brand from Sam's that must be 10 years old. Still work, just draw down faster now.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never bought expensive batteries either. Have some "Energizer" brand from Sam's that must be 10 years old. Still work, just draw down faster now.

I am on my second set of 27 series Energizers in 8 years…they have been good, first set would have lasted longer but had some starting battery issues and used one of the batteries to jump the starter a couple times (not recommended unless emergency)

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95