Boat battery recommendation?

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just had to replace my walmart marine cranking battery. less than 2 years old and was shot. just outside the warranty period. replaced it with a napa marine cranking battery. i'm sure every brand has their lemons.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
5575 i loved my duracell ultra agm's they did the same thing, power test on the terrova it would take 2 days of hard fishing to hit 1/2

- - - Updated - - -

my crown batteries i have now, on a 112 ulterra seem to always say they are at 75% but they run my ulterra and jack plate

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The decades of crappy motors, batteries, and 12V systems I used in the 70s and 80s have my brain permanently mired in a "conserve batteries all the time" mode.

Even if I'm out for three hours I find myself using the big motor to conserve battery under various situations.

I need an intervention. ;:;banghead

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
The decades of crappy motors, batteries, and 12V systems I used in the 70s and 80s have my brain permanently mired in a "conserve batteries all the time" mode.

Even if I'm out for three hours I find myself using the big motor to conserve battery under various situations.

I need an intervention. ;:;banghead

299E5B64-1279-4E3E-8552-E6571C062F7A.jpg

Dad had one like this. Spent more time replacing fuses than we did trolling. Run Time was maybe 2 hrs on low

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
now I have an xi5, two group 31 gel batteries, etc. and I still can't stop hoarding battery charge

#hoarderforlife

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This is probably been hashed over a million times on this site I'm sorry... I was looking at oreillys batteries and they have a super start marine group... I have a 18' fiberglass boat with a 24v 75lb thrust minnkota w/ipiolt ... And have a helix 7g2n di and helix 5 g2.

Here are the two I'm looking at..

140 min reserv cap.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...nt-battery/24dcmj/4742528?q=Deep+Cycle+&pos=1

210 reserv cap.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...nt-battery/31dcmj/4742532?q=Deep+Cycle+&pos=5

I have heard good things about the deep cycles from Menards and Walmart. Can't go wrong with the low prices too.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was out today in another boat with new Interstate 29 deep cycles on a 112 thrust terrova. They only lasted half the day today and I wasn't even using them that hard 4-5 most of the time. At 10 I couldn't go 1 mph and we had them on the charger for two days before this..disappointing. He's going to go and get some Duracells tomorrow.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just ran into battery issues this weekend with a 5 yr old set of Everstart 27DC deepcycle batteries.

While I wouldn't mind the extra cost of the larger 31 series of batteries, I don't think they would fit well into the tight quarters on my Lund. So I stopped by Walmart (both in Bismarck) and to my utter surprise they only have one on hand. Derp...

Guess I'll go with the Duracell's over at Sam's this time around. I can't complain about getting five years of hard use out of a lower end set of deep cycles. Makes justifying the cost of AGM, etc a real challenge to me. Sam's has their Duracell listed at $81.99, but the step up to AGM goes to a $150 a battery, ouch.

Just figured I'd revive this thread since it seems to be battery season!

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree. Interstate batteries suck balls in my experience. Have had the walmart type for years now and no problems. Seems like the interstate ones lose fluid somehow. I guess every one gets lemons too!

I agree as well. I'd purchased Interstate batteries for YEARS!!! But every now and then I'd have one go bad really early, but Interstate ALWAYS had some excuse as to NOT help even though they'd be well within the warranty time. So, two years ago I switched both my boat and truck batteries to Walmart after reading all the threads on here. Couldn't be happier. This winter I had a battery go bad in my truck and they replaced it no questions asked (they did say they had to put it on their charger first and then check it. They did and then replaced it immediately.)

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
AGM and don’t look back … especially for a starting battery, nothing worse than a motor not starting.

Next the best thing to do on a 24v system going lead is replace both at same time, and regular maintenance, keep posts clean, never let freeze, check water levels occasionally, throw any wingnuts away and use regular hex nuts, and tighten with wrench, you’d be surprised on how much battery connections loosed over the course of a season.

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen,

Two Sam's Club's Duracell lead-acid group 31s fit in my 2001 Lund Fisherman 1700. They were on sale for 79.99 each.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Were group 29s on sale too, I just seen mine were from 2014 might be there last season

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen,

Two Sam's Club's Duracell lead-acid group 31s fit in my 2001 Lund Fisherman 1700. They were on sale for 79.99 each.

Check the dates. Fargo had some over a year old. Wally they can't keep em in the shelve. Same with agm

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tried a set if Trojan 27s in the enclosed snowmobile trailer this season. So far so good, time will tell if I get 5+ years out them. Definitely a noticeable difference over the interstates I had been using. The sled trailer is brutal on batteries. Trying to get decent reserve capacity when the temps are in the below zero range and trying to run heaters, lights, and jacks and so forth. If they hold up, I'll go the same route in the boat for trolling batteries. FYI, i was able to get them through Lakeside Auto in garrison. They probably won't have them in stock but can get them within a day or so.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen,

Interesting, mine is an 2004 Fisherman 1700 and I'd have to grease them up pretty good to get them to fit through the hatch. And, I'd have to replace the size 27 battery trays in the bottom of the battery compartment. So I just went with the 27s, I ended up paying $81 each for them, you got a darn good deal on the 31s!

Oh, and my new batteries were marked as manufactured in 4/19. I agree though, once you get through the spring, these batteries tend to sit on the shelf longer at the big box office stores. Come Sept I expect Walmart to be all restocked with boat batteries. Derrr....

Last edited:

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
The sale I bought my Sam's Club Duracell group 31 ended in early April. I grabbed my own off the display making sure I got the freshest ones less than a month old, they did have older ones in stock however. I do not believe the group 29s were included on that sale. One could call or look online to see what the group 29s are priced at presently.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best batteries I ever had were Trojans. Very scarce around here.

Isn't that a prophylactic (condom, shield, rubber, love socks
love glove
the goalie
jimmy-hat
willie-hat
willie warmers
dobbers
hats
johnnies
poshie
rubber johnnies
sheaths