Boat lower unit question- bad news?

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
First time boat owner. Changed lower gear lube tonight. I read that milky gear oil is bad news. So how much "milkiness" is too much? To me there wasn't that much. Most of it was black except right at the end.
Bought the boat used this summer. Check out the pics and let me know if you think I have some bad news here. Thanks.
IMG_0900.jpgIMG_0902.jpg

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
With my new boat I now take it in and have them do the winterizing, but on my old boat I did it myself. I never remember the lower gear oil being that black.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's two paper gaskets for the lower unit plugs. Make sure they're replaced every time loosen those plugs.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's two paper gaskets for the lower unit plugs. Make sure they're replaced every time loosen those plugs.

By "paper gaskets" do you mean the little washers that are on the plugs?

- - - Updated - - -

With my new boat I now take it in and have them do the winterizing, but on my old boat I did it myself. I never remember the lower gear oil being that black.

Guy I bought it from claims he always wimterized and changed gear oil. But you know how that goes.... No idea when it's last been done.

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
probably a reused, or damaged, o-ring. If it was my boat, I would refill it, use new o rings and change it again mid season next year. If it still comes out milky, take it in and have the seals replaced. I would definitely have the water pump changed before spring.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
TAke the prop off and make sure there's no line on he shaft. Line on the shaft could potentially = cut seals. No line on the shaft then Joe is most likely correct.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, they look like a little brown washer. I think they're under a dollar each to replace. That's the first thing that I'd do. Take the prop off and check for line as others have said.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to order some new gasket seals and screws. Figured I would try to replace those first. I read that a good idea is to replace those first and then run it a couple times and then check the oil. If its milky again, then you likely have to look into replacing seals and stuff. I'll leave it for this winter, replace the gaskets next spring, use it a couple times, and then check it again.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to order some new gasket seals and screws. Figured I would try to replace those first. I read that a good idea is to replace those first and then run it a couple times and then check the oil. If its milky again, then you likely have to look into replacing seals and stuff. I'll leave it for this winter, replace the gaskets next spring, use it a couple times, and then check it again.
thats a good plan.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
is it milky oil or is it possibly silver looking? can't really tell in the pic. It could be silver meaning super fine metal shavings. the fact it came out last leads me to believe it is possible metal shavings/film. which isn't uncommon in oil that has been in there as long as that appears to have been.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agree with the others. Check for line on prop (should do this every time someone gets line wrapped in prop), then washers. After a season of use I wish my oil looked that good and my outboard is about 20 years old and still runs fine.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
is it milky oil or is it possibly silver looking? can't really tell in the pic. It could be silver meaning super fine metal shavings. the fact it came out last leads me to believe it is possible metal shavings/film. which isn't uncommon in oil that has been in there as long as that appears to have been.

It did come out right at the end, but it seemed to be more milky instead of silver. I checked the end of the plug (magnet area) and there were no metal shavings on it. I didn't see any metal coming out either, but I suppose if they were really fine you may not see them. But again, it appears it hasn't been changed in quite some time given it was so black so who knows. The joys of buying used stuff! Not going to worry about it this year other than changing out the gaskets/plugs. Will use it a couple times next year and re-inspect. Or maybe over the winter I'll break down and decide to just take it in and have them go over it really well next spring.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect water floating on top of the oil since it came out last. I haven't used the boat in a couple of weeks.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

I suspect water floating on top of the oil since it came out last. I haven't used the boat in a couple of weeks.[/QUOTE]

Laws of nature tell us that oil is lighter than water, as it usually floats on the top of the water

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

I suspect water floating on top of the oil since it came out last. I haven't used the boat in a couple of weeks.

Good point! I had it backwards.

Laws of nature tell us that oil is lighter than water, as it usually floats on the top of the water[/QUOTE]

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
it doesn't look like much so I would just change the oil and not worry about it.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's clearly emulsified water and oil.

Without knowing when the last time the seals and water pump were replaced, I would probably just call a shop and have it done over the winter. I think it cost me about $150 to have it done, but I could be a little off on that as it's been a few years. Money well spent to give you the peace of mind that comes with knowing she's good for the next X years without a bad fishing line incident, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and as to the color...there are different brands of gear lube. Some are blue, some are black. And it's entirely possible the previous owner said "oil is oil" and used a non-marine gear lube.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's clearly emulsified water and oil.

Without knowing when the last time the seals and water pump were replaced, I would probably just call a shop and have it done over the winter. I think it cost me about $150 to have it done, but I could be a little off on that as it's been a few years. Money well spent to give you the peace of mind that comes with knowing she's good for the next X years without a bad fishing line incident, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and as to the color...there are different brands of gear lube. Some are blue, some are black. And it's entirely possible the previous owner said "oil is oil" and used a non-marine gear lube.

You are probably right, especially given I bought it used. I just need to buck up and fork over the cash. However, gonna have to wait until spring as I am storing it in a garage where I will not have access starting in about a week.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had my lower unit gone through a couple years back, ( I was getting metal shavings on the magnet on the plug, and a bad growling noise when I put it in reverse) with parts and labor it was $1800 on a 1991 - 75hp Merc. I did, and still do, change my lower unit grease every fall. Shit happens. ;:;banghead

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 151
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52