Bobcat troubles

flyfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody know someone who works on these on the side? I have a bobcat 753 and its dead. Electrical issue. No lights even. Worked fine one day and the next day completely dead, changed batteries started right up let it set for an hour dead again. After that I would disconnect battery and reconnect then it would make one loud click from engine area, maybe solenoid, then be completely dead again. Bismarck Mandan area.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have you checked for a dead short, made sure the alternator is working, nothing is still on when you shut it off?

It would help to have more info if you want help.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't buy bobcat! I used to work there and all management is worried about is turning out machines Not quality!!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
you have a parasitic drain on the battery from somewhere. could be numerous things. often times it's a relay that is heavily corroded inside the case. A guy brought me an ATV a month ago that the dealer had for a month and couldn't fix. Was doing the same thing. Had to go through the electrical system from the battery clear through the unit. And that's what I found, a relay bad buried under the plastic. replaced that and it was good to go. That's an older bobcat so I suspect that it's something similar where moisture has been getting in. One way to do it is to charge your battery up good. The best way to check for things is to try and isolate sections off of the electrical system.

flyfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
The machine is completely dead even if you hook a battery charger on it . Both batteries I have tried on it are fully charged

- - - Updated - - -

you have a parasitic drain on the battery from somewhere. could be numerous things. often times it's a relay that is heavily corroded inside the case. A guy brought me an ATV a month ago that the dealer had for a month and couldn't fix. Was doing the same thing. Had to go through the electrical system from the battery clear through the unit. And that's what I found, a relay bad buried under the plastic. replaced that and it was good to go. That's an older bobcat so I suspect that it's something similar where moisture has been getting in. One way to do it is to charge your battery up good. The best way to check for things is to try and isolate sections off of the electrical system.

The battery is not draining. It stays charged

D-Racer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bobcat of Mandan. but they don't come by cheap. Might also be a grounding issue, as I believe this series of machine is prone to that type of problem due to location.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the lap bar switch working?
Have you checked your fuse box for blown fuses?
Have you tried to connecting power directly form the batteries. using jumper cables connect the cables to the starter neg and pos.. You will need a small wire to use a jumper to engage the starter. If the starter solenoid does not engage the starter it needs to be replaced.

- - - Updated - - -

ps if you have any mechanical skills look online for advice from people who have had the same issues good luck

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I misunderstood you. When you say dead it leads one to believe dead battery. Sounds like you loose all power when you turn the key? If so you probably have a bad connection on one of the main leads off the battery. But not at the battery. Somewhere on those wires after the battery. Most likely a corroded ground wire where it ties to the block or starter.

flyfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
I misunderstood you. When you say dead it leads one to believe dead battery. Sounds like you loose all power when you turn the key? If so you probably have a bad connection on one of the main leads off the battery. But not at the battery. Somewhere on those wires after the battery. Most likely a corroded ground wire where it ties to the block or starter.

Put jumper cable from battery to starter solenoid. Still dead, then hooked up negative side to chassis ground. I have power now so pretty sure negative cable is shot but going to replace both. Thanks everyone for advice

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Same thing I thought, dead meant dead battery.

Could be a bad switch, bad relay, bad ground, corroded wire, bad solenoid. Do the lights work with the switch on, does the back up alarm work when you move the shifter? Its time for more trouble shooting and information.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had starter solenoids that go bad and cause this symptom too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34