Bowhunting Stand Question

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a spot that I know has had a lot of great movement with decent bucks going through during shooting light. However, I just hunted it last night and was busted by a basket rack right at sunset and screwed everything up for the night. My general rule is to leave at least 2-3 days between sits in the same stand, but the weather is great again tonight.

What are your guys' (and gals?) rules on hitting a stand too hard this time of year. I want to go, but don't want to burn up that spot for the next 2 weeks.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I set up a stand or blind and leave it alone for a couple/few weeks to "air out." I use trail cams to understand movement and directions of movement during the wait time. Then I hunt the right wind every chance I get.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many options for stands do you have? If you only have one stand, there is A LOT of season left to sit and stare at the ground if you burn it up. If you have options, I would let this one sit a day or two and maybe hunt another location. Good Luck!!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sit every chance you can when the wind is right. And if you can get yourself a decoy and some rattling antlers if you really want to have some fun for the next couple weeks!

Shot this guy on a windy halloween morning, came right under my tree. Scaped the ground a couple times like a pissed off bull and headed for my decoy hair bristled up and ears pinned back. Shot him at 12 yards back in the corner of the field two days after I hung the stand.

chad (4).jpg

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no problem hunting a set 3 or 4 days in a row if the wind is right. Biggest thing is not getting busted getting in our out.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
get right back in there, if you sat and your shooter bucks that have been on their feet in day light never came then maybe they will tonight, as long as your wind is good and your have shooters on your feet you should be in that stand the basket buck and the shooters arent on speaking terms this time of year, i doubt that little guy will tell on ya! get in there and then share some pics of your kill!

Nodakker

I know a guy who got winded by a 158", next night he shot him in the exact same stand. He came from the exact same area, and walked on the exact same trail to his stand. Unless you are blowing deer out every night, you are OK. And on that note, if your blowing deer out every night, you need a new stand location. ;)

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
So did you go and see anything last night then? If you don't intend on shooting the basket rack, it doesn't matter. If you got busted by a big shooter, that might be a little different.

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sat last night, but didn't see any deer movement. First time I've been out in several years where I saw 0 deer. Guys were hunting in spots on either side of me about 1/2 mile away on each side so I assume they made too much noise to have the deer on their feet. Perfect night too! Oh well, it's only going to get better for the next 3 weeks. Thanks guys!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33