Breakfast ideas please

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be cooking breakfast for crew of 15 or so for a few days during our 4th of July celebration and trying to keep it simple and use the masterbuilt smoker for most of it. Has anyone tried a breakfast casserole of any type in the smoker and do they turn out good? I probably wouldn't add any wood chips but it would still pick up some smoke flavor. Or any other suggestions for a buffet style breakfast ? I'll have sausage and bacon but I'd prefer not to stand and flip pancakes for a group of hungry kids until they quit saying more. Unless I can make pancakes and waffles ahead of time and warm them up in the oven, or do they get rubbery ? Thanks in advance for any hints.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Probably not what you are looking for, but we make breakfast burritos(prior to leaving on our camping trip). Egg, Sausage, peppers, or whatever you want. Wrap them up in tin foil and put them in the cooler. Pull them out in the mornings and throw them over a fire or on the grill until they are hot. Easy and good.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
haha. all I ever had for breakfast growing up was oatmeal and milk toast and I was happy . My mom had eaten eggs for breakfast, dinner and supper during the depression years so she hated eggs and even the smell of them frying. no wonder we had so many egg fights when we were kids.

I'm going to try a trial run of the hash brown egg bake , I read that and waffles or pancakes freeze well. The breakfast burritos sound good too but the way these kids eat I'd need about 50 for one meal.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a few sacks of Hardee's sausage/egg biscuits and a few tubs of their gravy. Arrange biscuits in a deep cookie sheet, cover with gravy, warm in/on grill. Maybe add a bit of cayenne or hot sauce to camouflage the Hardeeness. Caution guests about putting too much beer on top of that later in the day, maintain an expeditious route to the bathroom and have plenty TP available.

Seriously: ^^^^That gravy on that biscuit is very good.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couple cases of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal and you won't have to prepare any other meals for the kids for days.

NodakBob

Honored Member
Take a foil baking pan or two that will fit on your grill. Start with your favorite cooking oil on the pan and add a layer of hash browns, then add chopped onion, peppers and Roma tomatoes, and your favorite chopped up deer sausage or other precooked meat. After the hashbrowns have cooked most of the way, crack eggs on top, add cheese, use a sheet of foil for a lid. Two lasagna sized pans will feed your gang of 15. Add salsa to taste. When done throw away the foil, only dishes to wash are serving/cooking utensils. I prechop everything when camping so there’s very little prep time and mess while camping.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take a foil baking pan or two that will fit on your grill. Start with your favorite cooking oil on the pan and add a layer of hash browns, then add chopped onion, peppers and Roma tomatoes, and your favorite chopped up deer sausage or other precooked meat. After the hashbrowns have cooked most of the way, crack eggs on top, add cheese, use a sheet of foil for a lid. Two lasagna sized pans will feed your gang of 15. Add salsa to taste. When done throw away the foil, only dishes to wash are serving/cooking utensils. I prechop everything when camping so there’s very little prep time and mess while camping.

While that sounds good to you and I, you gonna to supply Davey with the kids that don't balk at onions, peppers, and tomatoes for breakfast?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thus is the reason for two pans, one for those who love onions peppers and tomatoes…and another for kids and weirdos, loaded with cheese.

I'm thinking this is the way to go. make a couple batches , hot and mild.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a snot nosed kid, I loved a bowl of Cheerios and milk at the breakfast table and reading the cereal box. What I wouldn't do to have either my mom or dad having a bowl of Cheerios and milk at the breakfast table. Think something easy and simple. Memories will be had regardless.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
For that many and kids, just cook a bunch of sausage n scramble a bunch of eggs. Load the eggs with cheese and put out tortillas to make burritos.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We buy english muffins and bags of pre cooked sausage patties,pre-sliced cheese,and eggs,cook them on griddle on top of weber.Some dont like the egg,so you dont end up cooking egg with all of them.
I have a griddle for one side of our Q2200,but most the time use an aluminum griddle over both grates.Works good for scrambled eggs and ham too!!
Its actually pretty fast and easy!!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's kids just have plenty of cereal and milk. If it's adults then the hash brown egg bake casserole is the way to go.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84