Camping in the Badlands

sjkinkade

Does anyone here have any experience camping in the badlands in either floored or floorless tents? I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with snakes this time of year. Planning on hunting and camping a couple of miles off the road this weekend and I'm just looking for any insight you might have. Thanks in advance.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never had issues with snakes, in both floored and floorless. Mice and mosquitoes piss me off though.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
snakes would be the last thing I would think of for problems

- - - Updated - - -

my wife's nephew got bit by this the other day

40037113_1901139513262344_8495740221122412544_n.jpg

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
If not snakes, what problems do you foresee?

You need to pack a lot of water in, and it's heavy. This isn't the mountains and there are no water sources out there I would filter from unless it was an absolute emergency.

Once you get the backpacking itch scratched, next year you'll be looking to upgrade to a nice base camp set up once you realize "backcountry camping" in the badlands is kind of pointless.

Ask me how I know. :D

dschaible

Established Member
We had big plans a few years back to hike in 2 miles with bow/camping gear. Made it about 100 yards and realized it was a terrible idea with the amount of gear/weight we had.

Know what you are capable of hauling before you start your adventure.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd camp "hidden" from the road - and maybe 200 yds in - ha ha

and save my meager strength/endurance for day hikes in/out during the hunt

cuz a guy can run out of rum, get diarrhea, burn myself in the fire whilst drunk, bit by a snake etc. - all kinds of horrible things

being pretty close to the road - thus 30 minutes from relief (hotel/hospital/liquor store) - is key

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
i'd camp "hidden" from the road - and maybe 200 yds in - ha ha

and save my meager strength/endurance for day hikes in/out during the hunt

cuz a guy can run out of rum, get diarrhea, burn myself in the fire whilst drunk, bit by a snake etc. - all kinds of horrible things

being pretty close to the road - thus 30 minutes from relief (hotel/hospital/liquor store) - is key

preach!!!

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think he's just wondering about camping. Not necessarily backpacking in.

Dont worry about snakes or anything. Just camp. I've slept on the ground many nights.

If you are planning on packing in I would suggest not to. ND badlands has too many roads to worry about camping out there. U can get as far as u want and back in not that long. Plus being by the pickup u cam cook ribeyes and drink beer

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
if it rains just prior to your departure, and you hiked across 2 miles of dry gumbo to get in there - you're gonna be sad and you'll get home late

just kidding - sort of - ha ha

just go have fun and don't listen to us worn out losers - GO ADVENTURE!!!!!

it's actually those "boy we screwed the pooch good" trips I remember the best and fondest - isn't that odd?

fishman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just flew from deadwood to custer and surrounding areas in helicopter. Was amazed at all down timber due to pine beatle. Be ready to step over a lot of logs. Have a good hunt!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
September -- my kid and i were out --- one snake comes slithering over his boot. He was real cool and just looked down and said did you see that. I thought it was a fluke we wont run into one the rest of the weekend ---- nope - i ran into 6 of em on a extension of a butte. Certain type of weeds they were liked -- they would make the scary little noise but they just move away when you walk by em. Just like leave me alone. We have hunted in the past never really had an issue. Using the little mo to cool off - some swimmers in that little river too.

- - - Updated - - -

very hot day too.

Jdubya

Established Member
Camp by the road and HIKE into the area you want to hunt, leave the ATV/UTV at home, there is nowhere out there you’re gonna be more than a couple miles from any road. Had a really nice buck bedded down last year that got pushed out by dumbasses on UTVs (who left trash everywhere) plus the rattlesnakes were all over the place chasing mice...

GSP

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

We had big plans a few years back to hike in 2 miles with bow/camping gear. Made it about 100 yards and realized it was a terrible idea with the amount of gear/weight we had.

Know what you are capable of hauling before you start your adventure.

Yeah, we had lofty goals, but a bigger cooler!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55