can someone explain the logic behind this

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]I know it should be obvious to me but it's not.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]____________________________________________________________________________

General Game and HabitatLicense Required for Deer Hunters[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Deer hunters are remindedof a state law that requires hunters to purchase a general game and habitatlicense before receiving a deer license.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]North Dakota Century Code 20.1-03-02 reads “a person may notacquire any resident or nonresident license to hunt, catch, take or kill anysmall game or big game animal unless that person first obtains an annualgeneral game license.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The North Dakota Game and Fish Department will only mail deerlicenses after the general game and habitat license is purchased.[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

is "cheating" so horribly rampant that they have to micromanage?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't that the "base" license for anything having to do with hunting and/or trapping in ND? If you bought a small game license, you already have that.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I buy the combo license every year so it's pretty much automatic for me.

- - - Updated - - -

yes - yes it is

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always thought the $1 charge was for the piece of carbon copy paper everyone had to fill out back in the day (before the internets). Figured they just kept the fee so they didn't have to give up that chunk of cash!

- - - Updated - - -

Prerequisite for all hunting and fishing licenses
Fishing, Hunting, Furbearer Certificate (need only purchase one per year)$1
Prerequisite for all hunting licenses except furbearer
General Game and Habitat License (need only purchase one per year)$20

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's self-explanatory you have to pay to play. Just ante up and join the club.

ffjr

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I was told by a game warden they changed it because to many were getting cited for not purchasing general game and habitat license during deer season.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's always been the case that you have to pay to play.

I'm not asking about the fee or bitching about the fee or wondering what it is for.... I'm curious as to why they're now withholding tags until the system says you bought the general game. It doesn't allow people to get their general game license the day before the hunt as was always an option previously.

- - - Updated - - -

From what I was told by a game warden they changed it because to many were getting cited for not purchasing general game and habitat license during deer season.

since when were the risk of hassles/fines ineffective?

is it cultural now that so many more are now willing to roll the dice?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No real logic, it is what it is and they need the cash.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
money grab, pure and simple. Why don't they include it on the deer apps? something like, enter General Game Stamp # here and then make us stooges submit for a refund if we are unsuccessful. I would bet half would not apply for the refund, most of them just using it to get the stamp for the other seasons. A small percentage that only try for a deer gun tag would be snookered.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think that they have observed an increased trend with people buying online that don't remember/know they needed the general game license to hunt deer. So there have been an inordinate number of people getting busted in the field while deer hunting without the general game license.

In the past you had someone at a counter that helped people with making sure they had all they need and this is no longer the case with online purchasing of hunting licenses.

Truth be told, I've bought the combo license for so many years now that I had to sit and think about it for people like my kids (they don't yet hunt birds, furbearers, or anything else like rabbits, squirrels, etc) so I've not gotten them the combo licenses.

To hunt deer, you must have:

a. The $1 Fishing, Hunting, Furbearer Certificate (the piece of paper telling you what licenses you have).
b. The $20 General Game and Habitat license (required for everything other than furbearer, which makes no sense to me).
c. And lastly, the $30 Deer License itself.

Simply put, people don't read anymore. Some of those who only deer hunt hit the web and click enough to get the deer license and don't realize/forget they need the General Game.

- - - Updated - - -

I also think some of our fellow site members have noticed that the NDGF won't even mail them their deer tag nowadays unless/until they get their General Game and Habitat stamp. I know my GF hasn't gotten hers as of yet.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, the ND G & F Dept needs $$ cuz our state doesn't supplement them with general funds- their budget is only from the dept generated income from lic. fees, applications, etc. It just seems terribly costly for a ND Resident that only hunts big game (gun or bow) to have to spend $51.00 to go afield!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, the ND G & F Dept needs $$ cuz our state doesn't supplement them with general funds- their budget is only from the dept generated income from lic. fees, applications, etc. It just seems terribly costly for a ND Resident that only hunts big game (gun or bow) to have to spend $51.00 to go afield!
I don't know, our license fees seem pretty damn cheap to me. The license fees themselves are literally the cheapest part of hunting. Even one tank of gas to actually go hunting is more expensive.

I fish/hunt year around in this state for $125. That includes Combo license, deer bow, rifle, spring turkey.

Last edited:

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
And with online licenses you now print them on your OWN paper, or keep the photo of the license online in your cell phones. That means NO MORE PAPER printed by the NDG&F, correct? Maybe that $1 needs to go away?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member

$51 to hunt a deer that you have, potentially, 98 days to harvest (assuming archery). If you capitalized on that, it costs 52 cents a day to pursue your passion. But that's probably unrealistic, so let's just say 10 days afield for the season for the average archery dude in Nodak. That means $5/day to hunt deer with stick and string.

I dunno man...pretty cheap fun if you ask me. A Busch Light at the local bar is more than $5.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member

Where do you come up with $51? It's only $20 for the general game and habitat stamp. They're able to start doing this now because all licenses are computer based. In the past you could have people purchase paper licenses and they wouldn't get back to Game and Fish until the beginning of the next year and they weren't searchable. I'm sure with everything computer based now they can find out instantly and since it's a requirement it probably saves people from accidentally forgetting and getting cited. Probably a good idea.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where do you come up with $51? It's only $20 for the general game and habitat stamp. They're able to start doing this now because all licenses are computer based. In the past you could have people purchase paper licenses and they wouldn't get back to Game and Fish until the beginning of the next year and they weren't searchable. I'm sure with everything computer based now they can find out instantly and since it's a requirement it probably saves people from accidentally forgetting and getting cited. Probably a good idea.

Its $51 for the sportsmans license which included everything , fishing , gen game etc....

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Assuming this was sarcasm

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
in conclusion, I wasn't complaining about the fee nor the necessity of having it, it was the nanny state aspect of holding back one part until you buy another part

then having to remind folks in emails, etc. that they won't see them until their tags until they buy their generals

just something kind of nanny-ish about the whole affair

Last edited:

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's always been the case that you have to pay to play.

I'm not asking about the fee or bitching about the fee or wondering what it is for.... I'm curious as to why they're now withholding tags until the system says you bought the general game. It doesn't allow people to get their general game license the day before the hunt as was always an option previously.

- - - Updated - - -

since when were the risk of hassles/fines ineffective?

is it cultural now that so many more are now willing to roll the dice?

Guessing more along the lines of ol chuck in the truck down the road has probably never bought one, never been checked for one, maybe didn’t even know he needed one or simply forgets.

Seems like a pretty easy and cheap way of ensuring compliance I think.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 157
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55