Car restoration

Jignjerk

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any experience getting a car restored here in ND or the surrounding states? Looking to get my 1970 RS/SS Camaro done. Frame, motor, paint, interior ect... Not looking to do any of the work myself due to zero mechanical knowledge (I've tried and failed miserably multiple times!) Any of you or friends or family had a car done and have any input would be great! Thanks!

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be ready to cough up tens of thousands if you want it done right.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cool car, 396?
MSA is right, stuff like that ain't what it used to be. A good paint job will cost around 10k alone depending on rust and body damage.
You can easily stick 30-50k into a restoration.

Jignjerk

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah kind of what I am expecting. Anything can happen but certainly don't plan on selling the car anytime. Was passed down to me by my grandfather so hopefully one day when I have kids I can do the same. Car is actually in great shape from sitting inside almost 20 years. But unfortunately the mice claimed it as theirs,paint has faded ect. I'm fully aware it will cost some green but if it's done right and something I'd be proud to show my grandpa then I guess "you only live once"..... Just poking around for reviews on local shops positive and negative... Oh and yes i do have the original 396!

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most body shops dont wanna touch that with a ten foot pole. And most of the private guys that are willing to do it can be a bit crude with their paint jobs. I sell PPG paint and supplies to most of the shops in western north dakota. What town are you in?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a guy who worked for Chip Foose who recently moved to Grafton. If you are interested PM me I will see if he is available.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would suggest tracking down Stan Orness. He heads up the local Devils Run car show every June. He most certainly would have a contact or 2 or 3 you could try. He also has done many cars himself so he should be able to give you an idea of what $ amount may be involved.

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a place in Hazen that we build driveshafts for at work. I can't remember the name, but good guys. The guy's last name is Walker I believe.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
The biggest problem you will encounter with this is taking it somewhere, they start on it, and then it sits in the back of their shop for ten years. This is the most common problem I hear from customers, so if you take it to a place that has 2 dozen dead horses laying around the shop, take it somewhere else.

- - - Updated - - -

PM me some pics and I'll quote you a rough price to get the body done. I also have a customer that does interiors and upholstery.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The biggest problem you will encounter with this is taking it somewhere, they start on it, and then it sits in the back of their shop for ten years. This is the most common problem I hear from customers, so if you take it to a place that has 2 dozen dead horses laying around the shop, take it somewhere else.

- - - Updated - - -

PM me some pics and I'll quote you a rough price to get the body done. I also have a customer that does interiors and upholstery.

next time you are headed down to the dam give me a ring/text - I'd like an idea of price to get my 76 stepside Ford pickup back to factory condition - it's in the shop at my mom's place where you dropped off taxidermy

2013-09-01 18.49.59.jpg
2013-09-02 13.12.13.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

the combo pictured whacked a LOT of carp in the early 80s

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. #bringbacksmokeventwindows!

Jignjerk

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it.. Was looking at checking out "Fargo Hot Rod Shop" but will be in contact with J&J in hazen as well. Thanks for all the input and bringing up some concerns! Will post some pics soon

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Call northern muscle between thompson nd and reynolds nd out in the country. Its a father / son operation and they do nice work and are usually much cheaper than some of the alternatives. I have seen some of their work first hand and been in their shop numerous times it looks real nice.

http://www.northernmuscle.net/home.html

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I called those guys from thompson and left messages and they never returned my calls. On another note has anyone ever used zolatone for automotive exterior paint?

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
i would call Gregg Jr his number is on the website that i posted they are usually pretty busy but hot rods / restoration is all they do.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, i can match any paint as long as i have a brand code, ppg code, or a sample of the color.

Guy, by thd pics, and depending on that rust and no panels have to be replaced, id ballpafk that at 6 grand for paint n body work.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 51