Clam Outdoors Customer Service

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just wanted to share a positive on Clam and their customer service.

Last year I bought a pair of the Ice Armour gloves. Didn't really use them much due to our unusually warm winter. And this year on my 3rd outing the gloves started to come apart at the seams. The stitching on the fingers were ripping open. Also, I recently purchased their thermal tip ups. Took them out with me this past Saturday and while I was reeling one of them up at the end of the day, the flag shaft fell off the tip up and down the hole.

I contacted clam about both items. The gloves I didn't think they would replace since they are a year old and the tip up, I simply asked if I could buy another flag.

Long story short they are warranty replacing both items. Not only are they sending me a new pair of gloves, but instead of just sending me the flag and shaft, they are sending a whole tip up. I think that is pretty impressive.

I think it's easy to talk about all the negative stuff we see so it's nice to share something positive about a vendor I'm sure many of us have products from.

gloves.jpg

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree, I have had good experiences dealing with Clam. I needed a replacement pole for my house and had a friend headed to the cities that weekend (They are based out of Rodgers, MN). Instead of shipping it ($50) they put it out back behind their warehouse for me so I could have my buddy pick it up. Not many big companies would have did that.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now I'm pissed I asked for, and received, a new pair of Clam mitts for Christmas to replace the worn ones from less than a year ago.

Well, now I know for next year...

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I stand by my claims, they are garbage. At least they replace their garbage.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every pair of the gloves does this exact thing. I got one pair for free and after a couple years did this exact thing, So did all of my buddy's. I just bought the next step up that look a little more rugged, Only bought them because they were half price. I guess we will see what happens, i'm pretty sure i know the answer. All Clam stuff is complete shit these days especially any clothing.

Last edited:

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just had a pair of gloves do the exact same thing. Shoveled snow with them for maybe an hour and they were already ripping. Scheels replaced them but they must be garbage for how many other guys this is happening to.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair of there gloves i have had for 4 years and use them for everything must have got lucky and the chinese lady double stiched mine

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah this will be my second year with those Ice Armour Extreme gloves and they are coming apart a little. I think they are really warm the waterproofing is good they just don't last. I got a second pair for Christmas and noticed it says 5 yr warranty on the tag. Pretty much guarantees I'll have a free new pair of gloves every couple years lol.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clam made great products 10-15 years ago. Every year since then it seems prices go up a little and quality goes down. I think the stuff was originally made in MN? It is now made with whatever material comes in at the lowest bid and made by wherever the labor is the cheapest. Not that anything else is worlds better, but it has been sad to watch.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ice armor Extreme gloves lasted a week on Winnipeg, then threw them in the garbage. I should have kept them to warranty. I Bought a pair of the extreme mitts this year and have yet to use them. Is there a better option that hold up?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clam made great products 10-15 years ago. Every year since then it seems prices go up a little and quality goes down. I think the stuff was originally made in MN? It is now made with whatever material comes in at the lowest bid and made by wherever the labor is the cheapest. Not that anything else is worlds better, but it has been sad to watch.

That's exactly my view of them as well. They need to get out of the cheap(retail expensive) add ons and gadgets and get back to the core of fishing. I get that their profit margin has probably increased with each new do dad they offer, but you only get to fool people a couple times before they start badmouthing the company. I don't own a single clam product anymore.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huh I've had lots of ice armor gloves, replace due to losing usually. The gloves and mittens I have had pretty much get the s#%& beat out of them on a regular basis and have held up the best over every other winter gloves. My newest pair is probably 5yrs old though.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a pair of striker liner gloves I got last year and really like to look of their tip up gloves as a backup pair

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just had my mitts blow out at the seam this weekend and had a pair of gloves let go on Winnipeg last year. Some of the warmest gloves I have, but the quality of the stitching is poor. Hope Scheels will warranty the mitts like they did the gloves. Wish quality was as good as the warranty.

livininavandownbytheriver

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cannot say enough bad things about the direction clam is going. They have cheaped out beyond what I could have ever imagined. They cannot make zippers to save their lives and they also can't stitch anything. I have had a couple products bust at the seams from VERY LIGHT use. Now they have their new Deluxe Spoon Boxes out and they can't even make the clamp to keep the box shut right. Clams terrible and its only a matter of time before more people realize it.

cavedude

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cannot say enough bad things about the direction clam is going. They have cheaped out beyond what I could have ever imagined. They cannot make zippers to save their lives and they also can't stitch anything. I have had a couple products bust at the seams from VERY LIGHT use. Now they have their new Deluxe Spoon Boxes out and they can't even make the clamp to keep the box shut right. Clams terrible and its only a matter of time before more people realize it.

I emailed clam with my complaints about my Jason Mitchell Thermal X. In less than two years I have broke one zipper handle, bent others, ripped stitching, and the windows are turning yellow. They replied very quickly and told me to cut out all my logos on the shell, cut out both zippers, and take a picture of them all. They will then send me a brand new shell. I am very pleased with the customer service but how long will this next shell last. My old clam voyager took a lot more use before starting to fall apart. I also have two year old gloves that are getting torn apart. Maybe they should stop stealing other companies ideas and start investing more into their own.

livininavandownbytheriver

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cavedude- That is my point exactly, usually I can return my products one way or another whether that be to scheels in fargo (EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE) or somewhere else, but I don't have the time to dick around with that all the time. If I buy a pair of gloves or bibs and they fail during the season, how am I going to return those??? I need something to get me back on the ice and I am certainly not gonna sit around inside waiting receipt in hand for clam to send me another crappy replacement that will inevitably break again in two weeks. Stryker and otter from now on.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I emailed clam with my complaints about my Jason Mitchell Thermal X. In less than two years I have broke one zipper handle, bent others, ripped stitching, and the windows are turning yellow. They replied very quickly and told me to cut out all my logos on the shell, cut out both zippers, and take a picture of them all. They will then send me a brand new shell. I am very pleased with the customer service but how long will this next shell last. My old clam voyager took a lot more use before starting to fall apart. I also have two year old gloves that are getting torn apart. Maybe they should stop stealing other companies ideas and start investing more into their own.

How old was your jm shell?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93