compound bow for a 16 year old??

Watchyourownbobber

Founding Member
Founding Member
looking for suggestions on a good starter bow for my son, he really enjoys rifle hunting and would like to get into archery. Its difficult keeping a young man interested with him now having to enter the lottery and likely not to draw a buck tag for a few years. He's about 5'8" tall currently and a pretty strong kid, im not sure what would be ideal for draw length and weight....preferably something adjustable? not looking to drop a bunch of cash as we can upgrade if he really takes to and enjoys the sport. any suggestions or used options for sale? thanks in advance!!

sorry should have put in the original post, we are located near minot.

Last edited:

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I would recommend the diamond infinite edge. Not a real expensive bow and could shoot if for many years with the large range of draw weight. My daughter actually won this bow and she is 7 fairly big for her age and pulls it at 23 lbs. My wife who is average size has the same bow and pulls it at 55. The bow will go up to 70 lbs and its not real heavy. I have shot both of the bows and they are pretty good. I also shoot a diamond but its fairly old. Hope you can get him hooked like my wife did. Daughter cant pull enough back to hunt and its has been to cold for her to sit, hopefully next year.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure if you are looking for strictly hunting or not, but if you want an excellent introduction bow, look into the National Archery in the School Program (NASP). We teach that in school and the kids love it. The bows are Genesis, and will shoot everywhere from about 40 lbs to as light as you want to go, like literally there will be slack in the string before the set bolt will come undone. And the draw has no letoff, so is designed for any draw length. It's probably not the best bow for strictly hunting, but if you just want to get him interested in the sport its an excellent idea.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad to hear he is interested in archery! I would go to Scheels to get measured on draw length then find something that he can adjust as he grows; both draw weight and length. Going to the range with him will also be a fun activity for you two during those non-hunting months... I bring my little bro (BBBS) to the archery range all time as one of our main activities and the kid absolutely loves it, just need to get him his hunter's safety now.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a PSE Dakota 55-70lb draw I think, that I bought to use as a carp bow and don't really use it, I just put a new string on it, it has a sight, quiver, and a cheap rest on it if you are around the Bis-man area and want to try it out and if it works for him I would sell the package with some arrows for 100 bucks.

Buckmaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mission craze, diamond infinite edge , Bowtech fuel. All super adjustable draw length and draw weight. All able to do it without a bow press. He will be able to shoot those bows as long as he wants. They go up to 70#. If he loses interest in archery or it’s not his thing. They hold their value extremely well if you need to sell it to upgrade or get out of it completely

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought my son a mission craze. Used off bisman. Took it to sheels and they set it up for him. Had fun all summer. Turns out practicing is more fun with two people. We play tic tack toe and some friendle competitive shooting. He loves it. Went to a 3 d shoot in lamoure. Now we’re trying to get his first buck with it. It’s been fun. He’s 12 and pulls 40 lbs. great bow that can be used by adults.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 2 daughters that shoot compounds have Mission Craze. No complaints. Purchased at Scheels and i give them my business because they always take the time to get the girls setup just right.

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
diamond infinite edge pro is highly recommended for quality and ease of adjustments through growth.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a few other stated above, Mission Craze is a good starting bow. My 13 year old nephew has been using this bow for about 4 years now. Finally hammered his first deer with it a couple weeks back. One bow that I would suggest, even more than the Mission Craze is the PSE Stinger. This is the bow I got my wife. Very wide range of draw lengths, and I got her 40-50 lbs draw. When cranked up you can actually get 53-54 lbs out of it. She also hammered her first archery buck with that bow this fall. You can get a PSE Stinger loaded up for $349, which in my mind, is a damn good price for a new bow. Add in some arrows and a release and go have fun. You can find these used for $200 on bisman every couple of weeks.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look at the Bear apprentice 2. 20 to 60 lb draw and 18 to 27" draw length. My daughter has been shooting hers for 3 years and I keep adjusting it as she grows.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's nice that they make them wide ranging anymore. More affordable and the kids can use them longer. A few years back, my son wanted to start bowhunting so I bought him a browning youth model. He is left handed so not many choices other then order new. It didn't take long for him to grow out of it and move on to bigger and better. I could help out a Dad who is wanting to get them into bowhunting and not break the bank, especially if they are a lefty. Kind of a curse for buying bows. If anyone has or knows of a youngster who is in need of a youth left handed bow, I have one they could use for free. It's just sitting in the closet.

Fish On!

Nelly

Founding Member
Founding Member
Diamond Infinite Edge is a GREAT starter bow. Very adjustable. The price for them are also very reasonable. My boy is left handed, and I ordered him one last year as a Christmas present. He loves it and is doing very well with it. He is 10. This bow can last him for many years into his hunting career. Bought it completely set up with sights, rest, quiver, and stabilizer from Darin at Archers Elite in Minot.
Way to go TFX 186. That is a very generous offer to help out some fellow sportsmen.

Last edited:

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Picked one of these up for my daughter a few years ago. Great bow.
I would recommend the diamond infinite edge. Not a real expensive bow and could shoot if for many years with the large range of draw weight. My daughter actually won this bow and she is 7 fairly big for her age and pulls it at 23 lbs. My wife who is average size has the same bow and pulls it at 55. The bow will go up to 70 lbs and its not real heavy. I have shot both of the bows and they are pretty good. I also shoot a diamond but its fairly old. Hope you can get him hooked like my wife did. Daughter cant pull enough back to hunt and its has been to cold for her to sit, hopefully next year.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bought my son a mission craze about 8" and 50 pounds ago...(not me...him...I put on 0 inches and about 50 pounds). It just keeps growing with him. I think the draw length is around 31" and up to around 60 pounds. Mission is made by Mathews I believe, pretty dang good bow.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
I would recommend the Bear Cruzer - Draw weight from 5-70# / Draw Length from 12"-30" ;
Cost is around $300 depending on accessories and from whom it is purchased.

Great quality and warranty - Just my $.02.....

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I would recommend the Bear Cruzer - Draw weight from 5-70# / Draw Length from 12"-30" ;
Cost is around $300 depending on accessories and from whom it is purchased.

Great quality and warranty - Just my $.02.....

I bought my son this setup. It will get handed down to my middle child eventually. Dang nice bow IMO.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28