Conceal Carry

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well to my fucking surprise, I missed renewing my CC license by less than a week. I will have to retake the entire process, however with ND being a state that no longer requires this, is it worth taking it over?
My Utah one is still valid, but not sure I can renew that one without a valid home state one.

What the consensus from the crew?

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're right, you cannot renew your Utah without a ND CC license. You will lose all reciprocity once Utah expires. So the biggest factor in your decision is, will you ever have a need to carry out of ND?

I think the only other difference is, under constitutional carry, you are required by law to inform any LEO you come in contact with you are carrying concealed. Not the case with Class 1 or 2.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You should always inform any LEO you come in contact with that you are carrying. Do it in a calm, matter of fact manner, and keep your hands where they can see them. It's common courtesy, just like asking a land owner for permission to hunt unposted land.

I have thought about letting my Utah go too. I originally got it so I could carry in MN ( work in MN). Now it doesn't matter. I could "upgrade" to class one I guess, just haven't done it.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a word on renewing. I sent my renewal in back this past August. About a month later I got a letter saying my fingerprints on file were no longer adequate (originally taken by Burleigh County Sheriff's office) and that I'd have to resubmit fingerprints to see the renewal go forward. Ended up stopping by Prairie Patriots over in Mandan and they were able to hook me up with new fingerprints. I think I just saw something about them closing though, so one may have to track down another supplier of fingerprint services.

FWIW, I still like having the permit.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. I don't think I'd want some of our newer LEOs to have the latitude for an attitude over my hunting/filet knives that are often covered in gloves and hats on the dash or tucked into a door pocket. A concealed weapons charge is not to be taken lightly.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
We just did the class 1 a bit ago... even though ND is a constitutional carry state, I don't mind taking the test to have the class 1. at least now I can go to many other states and carry legally...

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You should always inform any LEO you come in contact with that you are carrying. Do it in a calm, matter of fact manner, and keep your hands where they can see them. It's common courtesy, just like asking a land owner for permission to hunt unposted land.

You are 110% correct.

p.s. I don't think I'd want some of our newer LEOs to have the latitude for an attitude over my hunting/filet knives that are often covered in gloves and hats on the dash or tucked into a door pocket. A concealed weapons charge is not to be taken lightly.

​Also true! As I remember ND Class 1 is recognized in 41 states.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought ND did away with concealed carry permit..... Can't believe concealed carry permit requirements were ever constitutionally legal.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'd like to see the CC renewal process as easy as a drivers license.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have thought about letting my Utah go too. I originally got it so I could carry in MN ( work in MN). Now it doesn't matter. I could "upgrade" to class one I guess, just haven't done it.

So can one carry in MN as a non resi and not have to worry? What can or cant you do in MN. Can i have my shotgun under the back seat unloaded?

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No, MN is a commie state. You can't carry in MN anymore with a Utah permit, you can with a class 1 (ND).

I have no idea other than that what their gun laws consist of. Like I said, they're commies sooooo......

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an App on my phone that you pick the state your wondering about and it gives you a ton of information. It tells you where you can and can not carry, it tells you if you are to inform an officer that your carrying, it list all states that have reciprocity etc.

Edit: We ND people see informing an officer that we are carrying is the polite thing to do. If the state says you don't have to you may be safe informing the officer, or you may be thrown on the ground, handcuffed, and arrested. In high crime rate, or even low crime rate with liberal politicians officers are trained to take you as a threat. The app is free, use it wisely.

Last edited:

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
You shouldn't need a permit to carry anything anywhere as long as you are a registered citizen of this country, especially in your personal property. You also shouldn't need ATF approval and taxation for a "sound suppression safety hearing protection device" ;:;popcorn

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Realizing that it's not NECESSARY to have a permit, I still renewed mine.

Two reasons:

1) I don't have to worry about having a fillet knife under a towel or some other dumb thing like a hunting knife in the console of glove box.

2) I don't trust that the gun control crowd won't someday make it necessary to have a permit again. At that time, if that happens, I already want to have a permit, so I could be "grandfathered in", rather than go through a potentially more exhausting process.

As an aside, I adopted overseas four years ago, and THAT criminal background check was ten times what I went through for a concealed carry permit. I was fingerprinted on the federal level (had to travel to Fargo) three times during that process.

- - - Updated - - -

You shouldn't need a permit to carry anything anywhere as long as you are a registered citizen of this country, especially in your personal property. You also shouldn't need ATF approval and taxation for a "sound suppression safety hearing protection device" ;:;popcorn

Agreed, but we may never see that day. You can wish in one hand, and shit in the other, and then see which fills up first.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a word on renewing. I sent my renewal in back this past August. About a month later I got a letter saying my fingerprints on file were no longer adequate (originally taken by Burleigh County Sheriff's office) and that I'd have to resubmit fingerprints to see the renewal go forward.

They pulled the same crap on me. FYI: you can order official fingerprint cards from the ATF for free, get an ink pad, and do it yourself. I've done it for several Form 1 suppressors as well.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 2nd amendment is my CC permit. If I'm ever charged in any state for not having one there will be a lawsuit headed to the supreme court. About time this shit was settled once and for all. My right to defend myself shall not be infringed!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 2nd amendment is my CC permit. If I'm ever charged in any state for not having one there will be a lawsuit headed to the supreme court. About time this shit was settled once and for all. My right to defend myself shall not be infringed!

I read you loud and clear, and I agree. However, I choose not to deal with the colossal amount of BS, time, and expense, that it would involve.

I'm not young enough to chase something like that the rest of my life.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
umm... i think that method/argument has been tried in courts. probably hundreds if not thousands of times. lots of time, expense, effort and stress with no chance of success. and it could very well lead to actual additional restrictions on your right to possess firearms in the future. not that i agree with all of this. but, i certainly would advise you try a different course of action.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would be interested in retaking my CC class 1 or 2, anyone in Western ND know of a class going on, or want to get one started?

splesuk

d oes anybody know of someone that got in trouble for a fillet knife or a gun under a jacket in their vehicle

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33