Country Living

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just love living in the country. Watched 2 does, one with twins a one with a single fawn this morning. Fawns were playing around, those little fellers can really move when they want to. Then a little later a single buck came through and he was sporting some new nobbers between his ears. Looks like the makin's of a decent set. Hope I draw this year. Seen a few clutch's of birds so far from golf ball size to softball size. Weather has been good for nesting. It was like watching Nat Geo out my dinning room window while I sipped a good cup of coffee. Good day to you all, hope yours is just a pleasant.

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
came home from work last week and had three little bucks standing in my driveway. they didn't seem to mind me getting out of the pickup and watching em from 15 yards away. starting to see some younger squirrels as well.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had 5 does and their fawns in my yard this morning. I saw some bucks just starting to grow their antlers and probably 30 elk, cows, calves and some dumb ass spikes on the way to get my first load of water a little bit ago. For some reason I don't have any squirrels around my place just packrats.

I've got about 2 dozen hummingbirds during the day, they're emptying the 2 feeders at least once a day.

You're right LB it's a great time of year to live out in the sticks.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's one of the biggest reasons I wanted to move out of Bismarck and now commute an hour, one way, to work every day. Couldn't be happier the wife bought off on it. Ended up in a house twice the size for half the price with good fishing and hunting only 5min away.... I love my morning drives at sunrise. Whether I see geese and their young'ns, deer running around, or just enjoy the peace and quite, it was all worth it.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's one of the biggest reasons I wanted to move out of Bismarck and now commute an hour, one way, to work every day. Couldn't be happier the wife bought off on it. Ended up in a house twice the size for half the price with good fishing and hunting only 5min away.... I love my morning drives at sunrise. Whether I see geese and their young'ns, deer running around, or just enjoy the peace and quite, it was all worth it.

Thats impressive.. I have a half hour commute twice a day and people thought i had marbles loose for moving,,

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live in South Bismarck, and while I'm used to the convenience, I KNOW I would be okay with a commute too. If nothing else, that 30 or 45 minutes at the end of the day, is good wind-down time.

I feel for the suckers who live in large cities, who have a 45 minute/15 mile commute every day. Yuck..

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We recently moved for a place with more driveway to park all my shenanigans. We looked to the country, and made the realization that running kids into town, even just 15 miles would be a huge suckfest. We have 2 left at home yet, both of which are not driving yet. My kids are in tons of sports, church activities, and camps..etc. Driving them into town a couple times a day would not be conducive. When we reach the empty nest stage in life, maybe, but I don't think mrs johnr is to keen on bugs, gravel, wild critters, and well water.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you find the right spot, you can get similar surroundings in town. My backyard is against a nice coulee and area that is to be kept as green space. We have deer, turkeys, pheasants and coyotes hanging around back there.

Convenience of city living and feels like country in the back yard. Yeah I have neighbors next door on both sides but it was a compromise. Neighbors are nice as well.

I enjoy sitting on my deck having supper and seeing grass/trees/wildlife instead of some bodies house but still be able to get into town in a few minutes.

photo from the other night. Did my best to hold the phone to binocs. Nice 4x4 showed up along with a few does.

IMG_1068.jpg

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a doe with fawns down at my pond a couple days ago, now if they will just stop eating my cherry trees.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a doe with fawns down at my pond a couple days ago, now if they will just stop eating my cherry trees.

I wonder if deer is similar to bear? I've heard black bear tastes the best when you shoot one that's been feasting on berries.

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reminds me, I need to get a deer fence around my new cherry trees soon !

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not a fan of waiting at stoplights, especially since I happen to hit RED more often than not!! I think someone did a scientific theory on why it seems that way for all of us haha. There is truth to it. I do not think I could live in a town with more than 7-10 stoplights!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i like country living. its a lot of work and the expense of it all doesn't really pencil out in real dollars and cents. but, it pencils out in real life and sense.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
NOT THAT WAY DAM!!!!!! Guess I have to be careful on how I post comments.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am not a fan of waiting at stoplights, especially since I happen to hit RED more often than not!! I think someone did a scientific theory on why it seems that way for all of us haha. There is truth to it. I do not think I could live in a town with more than 7-10 stoplights!

It's 45 miles to the nearest stoplight for me. :;:smokin

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last week a dang coyote got my pheasant that's been in the yard the last 4 yrs. I've been trying to get a crack at him as he is hanging around the yard at daybreak still. The day after it happened he was faced off with one of my dogs about 40 yrds apart. By the time I got the rifle out he was gone.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31