Crazy Hunter Harassment Duck Hunting In North Dakota (Game Warden Involved!)

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

Son of the landowner involved in viral duck hunting video shares his side of the story​

Oct. 31—GRAND FORKS — A man whose father was recorded in a viral video showing a dispute with duck hunters in North Dakota's Eddy County says there's more to the story than the video shows.

The video, titled "Crazy Duck Hunter Harassment Duck Hunting in North Dakota (Game Warden Involved!)," has been viewed more than 1.4 million times since being posted on Sunday, Oct. 23.

As the Herald reported on Oct. 27, the video shows a group of hunters who were set up along the property line of a harvested bean field when the neighboring landowner drove up in a side-by-side vehicle, saying they were touching his property, a harvested corn field, and that the spot they set up had spoiled his hunting plans for the morning.

The video contains extremely strong language and viewer discretion is advised.

Dustin Erman, whose father, Jeff Erman, was shown in the dispute, said the hunters had gotten permission to hunt the harvested bean field, which is owned by his cousin, but were told not to set up near the property line without permission.

"They were told to stay away from that area," Dustin Erman said. "Also, that video, these guys hunt and they do videos all the time, they edit (stuff) all the time. They edited out every single thing they said to provoke that farmer to get to that point."

Jacob Sweere of Madison Lake, Minn., who posted the video to his hunting and fishing YouTube channel, said he is waiting until the investigation into the incident is complete before answering any questions about the video.

James Myhre, district game warden for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department in Sheyenne, N.D., responded to the incident after receiving a call from Jeff Erman and conducted the follow-up investigation.

In an email Monday morning, Eddy County State's Attorney Ashley Lies said she couldn't comment since the case remains an active investigation. Lies said she anticipates charges will be filed this week, at which time she would provide additional information about the case.

Dustin Erman, who farms his father's land, said he was in Rochester, Minn., when the Oct. 21 incident occurred but talked to his dad over the phone while the incident was happening.

The area is a major flyway corridor for migrating waterfowl, he said, adding he's had "probably 30 to 50 calls" this year about duck and goose hunting on the property.

"Because of this video, farmers are posting their land and they are denying permission to hunters because they don't want to be in the next video," Dustin Erman said. "So, all these kids have done is wreck it for a lot of good hunters out there that are respectful, that go the extra mile to get the permission."

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same bullshit he posted on Facebook. The cops have the video and will be able to tell if it is edited . They just keep digging them selves a deeper hole looking like dumb assess
While I whole heartedly agree that they are just digging themselves a deeper hole like dumbasses, I would love to see the whole, unedited video. Anyone with two good working eyes and half a brain that watches that video can see it has been edited to remove 90% of the input from the hunters in the video. There are obvious cuts in the footage that go from farmer freaking out to farmer freaking out with nothing inbetween.

Like I said tho, I completely agree the landowners outta line and this could have been handled much better.

slyfish77

Founding Member
Founding Member
When Jeff say "I'm not a effing democrat". Makes you wonder if there was some provocation there? I don't know why you would scream that just out of the blue. He certainly could have handled it much better.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am curious to know the full story still. Who knows if we will ever get the truth though. My main questions are if the bean field owner (cousin) did tell these hunters to stay away from Jeff's field and if they didn't listen are they really invited back anytime to hunt or was that before this disaster. What all happened off camera and if they did provoke him, Jeff still could have handled it better even if provoked though.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure the hunters made some comments that were edited out of the youtube video but it still doesn't justify the completely over the top actions of this landowner. He's the one that tore up to them and immediately started his tirade. Had he approached this situation differently there would have been no video at all. Guys got some serious issues with anger and now possibly legally as well seeing as he admitted in the video they weren't on his land and then asking them for money. If he isn't charged with something there's clearly some corruption going on up there.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, and I highly question their instructions on where they couldn't be. That being said, they should have at least moved a few feet into the beans

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
0DBCC983-EB7C-490A-9BC4-9BB7BC5790AB.png

Here is the podcast I haven’t listened. The first 11 minutes is advertising if you want to fast forward.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
After watching the video when it was first posted, I thought it was the first time I wasn't duped by a clickbait title on a dumb youtube video. I don't think I've ever gotten into a landowner/hunter dispute. I generally only hunt public or land that's either owned by my family or relatives. With that, I tried to view it from an unbiased position. The landowners attitude during the whole confrontation is classless. The kids getting close enough to a property line where parts of their blind actually overtake the boundary is incredibly dumb. One inch or one mile, in my opinion, doesn't matter. Sweere's record shouldn't put him behind the 8 ball for the rest of his life, but it does paint a picture of an immature, young adult that doesn't use his brain. I don't know the kid or the farmer from Adam, but I think they both lose in the end. Sweere might be able to take that youtube money and lease some hunting land as I'm sure he's not getting let on in the future. I foresee him having access issues though.

In conclusion, I feel dumber for having spent any amount of thought regarding this kerfuffle.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
What legal action can be taken really? What can he be charged with??? Hunter harassment?? Not sure I see a legal action since nothing really happened except poor dialogue. They are all wrong. The farmer lost his bean and shouldn't have, and the idiot kids have to film everything...which like the son said, will now ruin it for all. Farmers will lock up their properties to everyone to avoid dipshits.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What legal action can be taken really? What can he be charged with??? Hunter harassment?? Not sure I see a legal action since nothing really happened except poor dialogue. They are all wrong. The farmer lost his bean and shouldn't have, and the idiot kids have to film everything...which like the son said, will now ruin it for all. Farmers will lock up their properties to everyone to avoid dipshits.
He drove his side by side at them every time birds were coming in. It last for three hours.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Extortion or bribery for one

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't listened to the podcast yet so i may be way off on my information. The big part for me is if they hunters were actually allowed to be in that spot. If it is true that they were not supposed to be near the property line then I don't even know if hunter harassment can stick. I don't know about the extortion or bribery as i'm not sure how asking for money to hunt an area is any different than access/trespass fees in places like wyoming but maybe north dakota's laws are different. I am not educated enough to form a solid opinion on that. As a small landowner with family and friends land around, there is lots of behind the scenes agreements on hunting and access that people don't know about. If i have a deal with my cousin that they get to hunt the boundary of mine and his and if i tell someone to stay away from hunting near my cousins land and they do it anyways i would expect both of us to be pissed.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is there is nothing to be charged with. I'd bet nothing sticks. At worst like I said, hunter harassment maybe? But no money exchanged hands and all he really did was ask for money to hunt. I see what you guys are saying but I have a hard time thinking any of this will stick. If indeed video was edited to sway story he could probably sue back for slander etc. I'm guessing all swept under the rug. Just my guess and I'm probably wrong.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49