Crestliner Transom Woes

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Triumph boats are polymer. They feel like a rubbermaid garbage can.
Wait, so you WEAR a transom? Now I'm even more confused about why they'd make them out of wood. I thought a transom was something completely different. I've got a lot to learn about boats.

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its even more amazing to me when I see a brand new fiberglass boat not be solid from one end of the transom to the other. I have seen some really horrible designs. I have seen hallow transoms on very supposedly high quality boats. They make the area were the big motor solid but leave the areas past hallow. Tell me this makes sense. In my mind the transom is the most important piece of the boat.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
After doing several transom replacements I would agree 100% that the cracks were caused by the weak rotted wood. It is incredible how much they flex when rotten. I have seen several that amazed me that the motor even hung on.

Your situation is tough. If you tried to nail down how the water intrusion started (most probable the engine mounting holes) it would just be a finger pointing issue. It seems that too many people, the factories included, just don't seal the holes properly. Doesn't take long for things to go bad.

A nice polymer material with aluminum reinfocements seems reasonable to me over wood. But, must just be a $$$ thing.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
On my bill, Crestliner's cost for the wooden transom piece is $68.25. I realize it would probably be 5x the cost (Maybe 10x the cost) but I'd think they could put a piece of UHMW in there that'd be just as stiff and would survive nuclear war.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait, so you WEAR a transom? Now I'm even more confused about why they'd make them out of wood. I thought a transom was something completely different. I've got a lot to learn about boats.

I've never worn a garbage can, but I know what they feel like. I've never worn a Triumph boat, but I did take a detailed look at them when Crystal Pierz carried them in Fargo.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Crestliner is off to it's new owner with the fix fully disclosed and a copy of the receipt provided to the new owner. Now that my dealing with Crestliner has come to an end and they can no longer change the repair schedule or the price, I intend to let a lot more folks know how Crestliner does business.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scan.jpg

~$125 worth of parts for a $3,700 fix. Go Crestliner!!

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I work in the industrial plastics (polymer) industry. Some manufacturers are using polymers now, but others, stick with the wood. Cost is definitely the driver for the material decision. No one wants to spend a penny more for a "better" material. As long as they can throw something in there that will last through a warranty period, why incur added cost and reduce profits? Sad thing is, polymers do exist that can be a direct replacement for the wood used. "Expensive toys built with the cheapest parts manufactured by the lowest bidder." Merica

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
they use wood because it's cheap. and so many people get rid of a boat after a few years and they don't have to replace it with the new owner.

Kasey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Far as I know, Yarcraft and Warrior no longer use wood transoms. Go 'Merica!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84