Founding Member
Founding Member
I always thought a raven had a white beak. Hmmm.guess I was wrong

- - - Updated - - -

Do we have ravens in ND?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody who lives with crows in their area will recognize a raven quickly. The size alone is rather stark to an outdoorsman.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agreed guy and the raven call...

- - - Updated - - -

We have a crow hunting season ,two actually,march is almost over,then another starts in august...

reason according to our game laws is the crow is mexico's state bird....so we comply,"kindof" game law states these rules for shooting crows outof season " shooting crows prohibited unless doing damage or about to do damage" lol no shit!

Our crow hunts take place near lakes with large icefishing shanty towns in march,as these skid houses come off the lake and stacked on shore,crows scavenge garbbage around these houses,great fun pass shooting,other times we'll drive northern back country roads scanning tree tops for scout crows sitting on tree tops,then get up wind and turn on the ecaller,curious and smart birds they come in groups to investigate but we scratch a few out every outting,use dead crows layed in the road as decoys as well.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anybody who lives with crows in their area will recognize a raven quickly. The size alone is rather stark to an outdoorsman.
@guywhofishess
What about a Monday morning, armchair orthinologist? Y'all think he would be able to tell the difference?

Are crows good eating? Thinking blackbird pie . . . wasn't there a song about that -- 4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie? Plus the saying you are going to be eating crow.

@guywhoknowshisshitfromshanola please advise. I am starting to salivate and am curious if I should go make a PB&J sammich instead.

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Orthinology
The study of word-botching.
Originates from a radio interview with the late Humphrey Lyttelton, when asked "You're a bit of an orthinologist, aren't you?" His desired response was only realised sometime later, "Oh, you mean word-botching."

or·ni·thol·o·gist

• a person who studies or is an expert on birds.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The book "Make Prayers to the Raven" is worth your time. They did a little documentary type thing around the premise of the book that was pretty decent.
Make Prayers to the Raven: The Life in the Bear - YouTube There are a handful of videos to check out.

Since moving north, I find myself paying a lot of attention to the raven when I hunt. My brother thought I was crazy this year on a cold and quiet September morning when a raven flew over us and I told him "the raven will show us where." And then a couple minutes later we heard a bull grunt from where the direction the raven called. I'll admit I was mostly joking. Had another pretty wild raven experience later in that hunt too but I'd sound like a full on crazy person sharing that.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Indians believe these to be their ancestors, and I guess why not.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Two ravens a few years back found a deer i had shot with the bow for me after searching by foot for a number of days. Had a lot of crows in town a few years ago and game and fish did allow us to shoot not only crows but any black birds. Since then, have not had a problem with crows in town.

One time in woods had a number of bald eagles flying and landing so went to spot. Dead deer and the noise was something else with all the ravens eating on that deer. They are at least, if not bigger than the eagles quoted the raven never more. db

Last edited:

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a crow semi trained last summer. I found out he loved cat food. I'd sit out a little pile on the driveway and he'd swoop down and gobble it up. Got to the point where he'd sit in a tree in front of the house and caw until I brought him his cat food. I guess he actually trained me, didn't he!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
The book "Make Prayers to the Raven" is worth your time. They did a little documentary type thing around the premise of the book that was pretty decent.
Make Prayers to the Raven: The Life in the Bear - YouTube There are a handful of videos to check out.

Since moving north, I find myself paying a lot of attention to the raven when I hunt. My brother thought I was crazy this year on a cold and quiet September morning when a raven flew over us and I told him "the raven will show us where." And then a couple minutes later we heard a bull grunt from where the direction the raven called. I'll admit I was mostly joking. Had another pretty wild raven experience later in that hunt too but I'd sound like a full on crazy person sharing that.

full on crazy is best part of this here site....

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see Raven's almost daily , about 10-15 years ago they showed up and hang around. They might have driven the turkey vultures out because about the same time period they left. Never saw either one of them till about 20 years ago.

We have magpies that are brave and fun to watch, Last fall cherry tomato's were overloaded and dropping off . saw a resident magpie come in and hop around looking and then pick one up and drop it through a knot hole in the steps. sometimes two or more times. I don't recall ever seeing them eat any.

[MENTION=6150]wjschmaltz[/MENTION] I'd like to hear the crazy one or parts of it... Sugar coat it it if you have to and I'll help call off the judgmental dogs if needed.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
@wjschmaltz I'd like to hear the crazy one or parts of it... Sugar coat it it if you have to and I'll help call off the judgmental dogs if needed.
Very long story short as I can make it:

My daughter passed away from SIDS in March 2021. Cancelled all my hunting plans for the rest of the year. One of my closest friends who is a moose hunting/fishing outfitter in western Alaska was staying at my house in early May while he was picking up his airplanes for the year. He basically told me I didn't have a choice and he had a moose spot to fly me into to check out in September. I gave in and ultimately decided to fly in solo as a hunt with my daughter I guess. My brother (who worked for the outfitter) came with me for a few days and flew out after day 3 to get back to work. That left me with 6 days alone in the wilderness with my only way out being a float plane ride. The last day the wind blew all day and I was sitting up on my little glassing tit at dusk. Finally the wind let up and eventually went pure calm as I watched the pink sunset over the valley. A single raven flew across the valley, came directly over me maybe 15 feet above my head and was doing it's hollow croak. It eventually just kept flying off and its croak got softer and softer until I couldn't hear it. And at that point the whole valley went dead quiet and still. Not a blade of grass moved or a very prevalent bug in the air. Wilderness is chaotic, especially where I was with the wind, the distant mighty Yukon River, birds, beavers, mosquitos and other bugs, moose, etc. But I mean true quiet that I don't think I've experienced in my life. The type of quiet you can only get by being in a room designed for it. For about 2-3 minutes the only thing I could hear were my organs. It was quiet and still to the point I wasn't sure if the world or my life had ended. Eventually after about 2-3 emotional minutes, it was like someone flipped a switch. The whole valley woke back up simultaneously and went back to its normal chaos. So that's it. It was somewhat of an out of body experience all kicked off by a lone raven coming through the valley and directly over my head. I'm a Christian man so I don't really know what the significance of it all was to be honest. Just an interesting story in the end I guess.
ms2.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That sorta gave me chills WJ. Thanks. Nothing "crazy" about that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84