Deck advice for guy

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would float it if I was you. Very easy to adjust things if you ever have to.

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you looked at getting concrete patio and have it colored & stamped? I did that a few years ago and it ended up being cheaper than going with composite decking. Other than spraying it down a couple times a year, zero maintenance and looks really nice.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've done two decks at my place. One is a 12x14, all green treat, 5/4 deck boards. it is attached to the house and has footings below the frost line.
The new one I built, is small, 8x3, with steps down to a large patio. I used the top of the line composite from Menards for the decking, white PVC for the risers, and Menards aluminum railing. Like Risingsun said, I think that the "hidden" fasteners added a bunch of extra work, so I pre-drilled holes and use the small head colored fasteners. It is sitting on 4x4's that are resting on the concrete patio, not fasted to the house. In the photo, I don't have the north railing completed yet.
Aj-backdeck.jpg

Decking: https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...ius-edge-board/x6770144sb/p-1543994816340.htm

Riser: https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...12-c-13411.htm?tid=5782073084553237579&ipos=1

Handrail: https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...m-railing-panel/cp262306p/p-1513151885811.htm

https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...num-stair-panel/cs252306p/p-1513151886731.htm

https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...st-and-base-kit/pk441336w/p-1471870524537.htm

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just do concrete. Stairs coming down to concrete.

- - - Updated - - -

Like what sierra has...

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Oh, I prefer using a 6x6 for my posts. 4x4's look like that tall skinny kid that you always feel like they're going to break a bone when they jump or run...you can attach the 2x8's better to a 6x6.

I agree, go with the 6 X 6 ... and any support/footings to be below the frost line.

nice work @sierra1995

Your local building inspector will keep you on your toes (on track).

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thought about the ground level patio route.

That tan "box/closet" top the right of the slider door is where electric meters and and a lift pump control system are housed. The lift station itself is below a hatch and that is off camera to the right. The lift sends sewage to the big sewage treatment collection pump a block or two away (our city has an agreement with Fargo for waste processing)

So there's a number of underground wires etc. under that area. Would pouring concrete be a blunder?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably when you are doing the concrete work re-do the wiring covered by concrete in conduit so it could be replaced easily if need be. That shouldn't be hard or expensive to do.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would not be a blunder if never no issues. Butttt, you did say you only wanted to do this ONCE. Free floating deck can be moved. Just sayin

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here’s a picture of what our stamped patio looks like. I have some better pictures someplace of the actual pattern but can’t find it. The stamp we selected looks like old wood planks.

F54E1FBE-27B2-4B19-A241-75B5C82E620E.jpg

★ Legendary Member
I built with trex-transcends higher level of trex. 5yrs ago and my old house and it looks the same as day one. I built a new house in 2020 and used transcends again(different color). I am in Fargo as well and the code sheet is much larger now then it was on the previous deck. Mine is attached to the house and have 16X12 with 2 ledgers. I used footings and my deck didn't move at all. Good luck.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thought about the ground level patio route.

That tan "box/closet" top the right of the slider door is where electric meters and and a lift pump control system are housed. The lift station itself is below a hatch and that is off camera to the right. The lift sends sewage to the big sewage treatment collection pump a block or two away (our city has an agreement with Fargo for waste processing)

So there's a number of underground wires etc. under that area. Would pouring concrete be a blunder?

You'll have to build around it or pour around it. Either option should work. Concrete would be a bigger pain to work around but how often do you get into that stuff to fix anything? Every 5 years? 3 months?

★ Legendary Member
I used hidden fasteners and they work pretty slick. At the old house the deck came down to a concrete patio which is nice, but looks best if you reseal it every year. If you don't it starts too look not as nice. I used a slate stamp...when sealed it does become a little slick with water on it.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
+1 on Trex composite and the hidden fasteners. They give it a very "clean" look. It also makes it nicer to shovel off as you don't have all the little bumps each screw hole creates. I built this deck 7 years ago, and it still looks great.
deck1.jpg
I did 6x6 posts in concrete, below the frost line, and attached to the house with lag bolts... but it's a big ass deck, and the upper tier is like 7 ft off the ground, so was pretty much the only choice. If I were you, I'd leave yours freestanding.

Last edited:

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would build 12" oc,instead of 16"oc,alot have a minimum of 16"oc,but composite seems a little spongy,especially in hot weather.12 will give you a very solid deck.

Ain't a lady that I know that doesn't like a solid deck.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey craftsmen - I'm going to get a new deck built. I'm getting quotes.

crude drawing below
1000017965.jpg

Here in the red river valley we have evil expansive clays that shrink/expand with moisture.

The deck not too far off the ground - whatever the max height without rails is allowed (can't recall). The door at right is lower than the slider at left - so we'll have a threshold for the slider door. I believe the max height without railing is 18"

I am wanting top-of-the-line composite decking (unless I shouldn't be?) _

I want to build this thing ONCE.

What brand/model of composite should I get? I like Trex

Do I need footings down to frost or can it be freestanding? (yes - it's attached to the house on those two sides) You should have piers at least 4' below grade if attached to the house

What type/density of footings? Bare posts to below frost? Posts sitting on concrete footings that are below frost? Install posts on top of concrete pier using galvanized post plates

Amy other advise is appreciated. I live in the big $hitty and don't want to get scoundreled. :)

Build the framing out of treated lumber and use ( https://www.diyhomecenter.com/trex/protect-tape ) on top of the joists. you can also go with a metal joist system but I have never installed any.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33