Deer Rut 2018

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw lots of chasing this weekend and one pretty good fight. Just can't seem to find the right deer. Still lots of flowers and corn up in my area.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Couldn’t convince a buck into archery range today that would also give me a good angle. Saw quite a few young of the year deer without does around so at least some of the does are ready and willing. Maybe why I couldn’t call a buck in.

Last edited:

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I put on a ton of miles from Thursday-Saturday. Down west of Garrison on some public stuff thursday morning, bumped a few fawns and saw 2 bucks, one a decent 8pt chasing a doe, the other a lonely yearling buck watching the 8pt having all the fun. Moved up north of parshall and got on some mulies, one a goofy 2x3 that had 2 does with him, he was pushing one doe around pretty hard, as she would stop and pee every 15 yards.
Friday was about the same, I saw quite a few deer, walked into some areas and found mulie groups, but in a group of 10 does, only 2 little yearling bucks in with them. Only big buck I saw Friday was a big whitetail, all alone, I jumped out of some bushes on the way back to the truck after a 1.5 mile walk.....with the gun strapped to the pack.....oops.
Saturday was about the same as friday. Tons of people driving around. Saw 4-5 smaller bucks out chasing and with does, but nothing big.
Sunday ended up hunting a coolie that we usually just bowhunt. Deer were going nuts. Saw 15-20 does/fawns and 5-6 different bucks, all the bucks chasing and not caring at all. This one was chasing a doe and I shot him as he came up out of a draw. Literally 2 minutes later I saw this other buck, bad pics but right around a 150" 10pt, awesome dark and heavy rack. Tag was already punched but still awesome to watch a buck of that caliber, not too often can a guy just sit back and watch a deer like that without trying to kill him haha. Maybe he will survive and walk by my bowstand.
rifle.jpg
10py.jpg

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a number of sites with cameras and for the most part over the last week and a half most of the bucks that were coming up no longer show up on camera other than an odd picture.
I assume they are out looking for pleasure but hopefully in about another week and a half they will all come back with a friend looking for food. Will be time to take the bow off the rack hopefully however in another story a neighbor told me I had no right to hunt on my land that I have own for twenty years (in fact he intends to run me off) love all. More was said.

However those damn elk still seem to find my spots and last night (Monday morning) a whole herd finally made it back to my oldest site. Should take about two to three days for them to clean out all the grown feed and I will not feed them this winter like last year. So there. Will process some pictures and put on my food plot topic. db

Attachments

IMAG0089.jpg

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well for those of us who haven't tagged out yet. Anybody seeing any activity?

Buck74

Runningshort

Two tags left in 2F1 not seeing much anyone else in this unit with some tips?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88