Depth Finder Map Chip

Coldfront

Established Member
This may have been commented on before: As the lake water levels change with drought and excessive moisture at what water elevation are the chips started at? For example is Sakakawea right now down 20' based off of 1854' or is down 16' based off of 1850'? Where can one find this information?

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure if it helps or not but if I remember right when I was on sak a couple weeks ago I had my Humminbird water level offset on -14.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe Lakemaster has Sak mapped at 1850' , I just use the water level offset to adjust it so its accurate.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
This may have been commented on before: As the lake water levels change with drought and excessive moisture at what water elevation are the chips started at? For example is Sakakawea right now down 20' based off of 1854' or is down 16' based off of 1850'? Where can one find this information?

If I remember correctly, the water level at the time of the survey is on the packaging for the chip, and maybe on a small sticker on the chip itself. You use that and couple it with the current level to obtain the offset you're going to set.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly it really doesn't matter. When you doc the boat get to about 15ft of water (what your depth finder reads) then zoom in on your map and see what depth your map says your in. Then adjust the water depth accordingly on your map so it matches your depth finder reading.

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly it really doesn't matter. When you doc the boat get to about 15ft of water (what your depth finder reads) then zoom in on your map and see what depth your map says your in. Then adjust the water depth accordingly on your map so it matches your depth finder reading.

Exactly what is stated here. Go out and hover over a depth of 10 or so feet....15 as stated in the quote works....see what depth your depth finder says...compare it to the contour line....adjust accordingly.....one may have to tweak it some if your really want it to spot on....but this will get you very close.

I do believe the Lake Master Chip was at the 1850' elevation for the Dakota's and Nebraska version.

Last edited:

Coldfront

Established Member
Thanks, I haven't been on the water yet and my neighbor wanted me to set up his bird's offset to get him close, he is not very savvy with his depth finder.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 62
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 19