Devils Lake???'s

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
There doesn't seem to be as much talk about Devils Lake fishing as there used to be, seems everyone is at Sak or Oahe now days. Anyway I'm heading to DL this weekend for the first time in 5 years, wondering how the fishing is right now. Any tips on depths, lures and colors? General areas that are producing better then others? Not asking for waypoints just hoping to get a starting location to try with only 2 days to fish. I prefer trolling spinners or cranks.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
based on what i have been hearing the fish are bigger and hungry. Lots of pictures. 1000X what i have seen out of the west. West just heated up. Meanwhile reliable DL has been kickin em out every weekend. I dont know how they keep the population up.

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard it was on like donkey kong out there. Good luck!

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
We do an annual trip out there every fathers day and stay at the state park. We fish around the island, up into 6 mile, or Minnewaukan flats and I don't know if there has ever been a trip that we didn't leave with limits. Spinners or slow death rigs are what we typically use. Always look forward to that trip.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just fished there 3 straight days. Caught ALOT of walleyes, pike and bass in 3-6 feet of water casting cranks. That's our preferred approach. The weather was quite hot and we didn't have much wind, (but plenty of bugs), so finding fish shallow that were not spooky was a challenge at times but we kept moving and would find them eventually. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hwys are lined with fishermen from Minn so it must be good.
All fishing from shore with some might fine vehicles. db

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We saw all those too and it brought up a question in my head............. Do hmongs pick up after themselves when they leave or do they leave the shores looking like a garbage dump ?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We saw all those too and it brought up a question in my head............. Do hmongs pick up after themselves when they leave or do they leave the shores looking like a garbage dump ?
Dump from my experience along with leaving with 109464 times their limit

ndrivrrat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dump from my experience along with leaving with 109464 times their limit
There should be no limit on white bass on DL. Let them fish them out. The G&F should have put large mouth bass in there instead of white bass when they stocked it years ago. It would be a world class LM bass fishery right now, probably one of the best in the country. Who really cares if they leave with 109464 times there limit, does anyone beside the hmong really fish for them?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
There should be no limit on white bass on DL. Let them fish them out. The G&F should have put large mouth bass in there instead of white bass when they stocked it years ago. It would be a world class LM bass fishery right now, probably one of the best in the country. Who really cares if they leave with 109464 times there limit, does anyone beside the hmong really fish for them?

Do they shun walleyes and throw them back ?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pm me. I will put you right on top of them unless they transition in the next few days.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hopefully the Game wardens are doing their jobs , I was out in a boat watching a warden glass the shore fishermen for a couple hours then he just drove away.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe if they were just catching silver bass but walleyes are stacked up just the same . I would be willing to bet most don’t even buy a license.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Size doesn't matter either. I've seen plenty of 8-12" walleye put in a bucket while shore fishing up there.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish Devils a lot and i have yet to see a Hmong throw anything back or fish from a boat. It was kinda funny over Memorial day weekend...barely any minnows to be found at the bait shops and they were not happy! Still hundreds of them lined up on Channel A though. Heck they stretched all the way over to Churches Ferry too!!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
amen brother------- Elite series Devils Lake ND i can see it now. Smallies would rule too with all the rock.

Dryfly36

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are hmongs fishing from boats. The ones I have seen all have Livescopes on them. It would be an incredible smallmouth fishery.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
They can have all the white bass they want, you will never overfish them. White bass make for good walleye forage too. I also rather them keep a dink walleye over a 6lb+ fish. Honestly not sure why anyone cares if they are following the laws. White bass limit should be 100 pp

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84