Do my own taxes...?

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
So maybe it's silly to even ask some of you who already do your own every year, but I'm sick of getting bent over the desk at an office when it takes 15 min and costs bare minimum a C note. I'm married but don't own a business or anything that would complicate it too much. The downfall is that neither my wife nor I have a degree that has anything to do with business, accounting, etc... So can I do it? And if so, what program is the best to get to do it myself?? I literally no nothing, lol. That is all. Thanks in advance!!

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Turbo tax will work fine or use h n r online too. Don't buy any software just go to their site. Turbo tax will run ya like $40 to file fed and state.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont use the stuff but if its anything like intuit does for everything else -- i bet the software you buy is faster then the software you do online; plus if you have a kid they might want to use it too.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty easy to do, HR Block and other on line stuff will ask proper questions, does not sound like you are looking at any other deductions than dependants, mortgage interest.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used TurboTax in the past and it's very straight forward. I think unless a guy has their own business, anyone can do their taxes with an online program just fine. It asks for everything it needs to complete them.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
turbo tax makes it simple... every time i use it i get more back than every time I've gone to h&r

Redneck1

I Still fill out the paper copy, n send it in the mail.Standard 1040 form with the usual married n child exemptions. Cost a few stamps. I just don't like paying any fees at all to pay taxes,although I certainly understand that taxes can be too complicated for some situations.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use taxslayer myself. All of the online places have wizards that walk you through it. It brainless

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In 1969 a guy charge me 15 dollars for those few minutes and I said never again.
done my own since not a big thing to do.
you do have last years to go by, very simple just read the instruction.
get them by going on the internet under tax forms. Db

i think trump does his own.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just did mine a few days ago with turbo tax online for the first time. I ran eveything through turbo tax last year but didnt file, and then compared it to the one I had a CPA do. I think the CPA found me about a 100 extra bones, but also charge me $205 for a 15 min meeting. That was it for me.

This year I even itemized my return with turbo tax. They make it almost dummy proof. The first time might be a little confusing but turbo tax has a question and answer section. They got back to me within a half hour on the one question I had.

I would recommend it to anyone.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to do my own every year till I started my own business. Now I pay a cpa to do it.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've done my own for years. Paid a guy once laughed as I walked out. Turbo tax is quite easy. If you or one of your parents have been in the military, you can get a 20% discount.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of taxes it's sounds like standing rock did their own taxes. 3million dollar worth. Now I wonder if all that shit was brought to Sioux co and then brought over the line or was it shipped to North of the line.

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder how that gas station did.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Bachelors degree in Accounting and a Masters degree in Finance. It is my life goal to undercut H and R Block with tax preparation services. A co-worker of mine was charged $250 for his taxes. He only has a house and 1 dependent. He simply went to them for peace of mind and that's how they get you. I told him I would do his taxes for $40 and if he brought in a referral it would be $20 for him and $40 for his friend.

Have your friend refer me! My wife and I haven't done our own taxes in ages. We were both audited at a young age (audits that wound up costing the government money instead of us because we hadn't claimed enough, but still...) and ever since haven't had the guts to try it on our own again. With two kids now and a whole bunch of other garbage in the pipes (including some freelance stuff I do on the side) I honestly can't risk screwing my taxes up and having it cost us even more.

We used to only pay about $100 for our tax guy. It's more than doubled. Freaking sucks to pay someone that much money to tell you how much money you still owe the government.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife and I do ours at home. Ours is pretty simple, a couple 1099's from employers, contribution statements, child tax credits, nothing out of the ballpark. Forms are actually very simple to figure out. IRS will mail you the package to fill out, then you mail it back. Same with the state tax office.

two years ago, we hired our taxes done, it was $150 bucks. Last year we hired it done, it was $240 bucks. That was enough for us!

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Online Turbo Tax is the way to go if you have a basic return. With the help of the wizard, you are basically completing your return yourself. If you can point and click, you can handle it. Plus, a person might even learn what those numbers in those different boxes are for! Depending on your employer, your w2 may even prepopulate into the turbo tax program so you don't even need to type it in. NEAT!
Not sure on this but think most bank websites have turbo tax available to file.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have paid H&R block since moving out west. Last year it was $450, the year prior it was in the $500 range, but has never been less than $350. I guess I am likely paying way to much, but I want the sense of mind that I wont be on the hook for a mix up.

I think I could do it myself, but I do have quit a bit of deductions, and itemize almost everything.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31