Electric Ice Auger Recommendations

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The SM 40V describes the power head. It can come with a few different bits. 8” or 10”, Lite flite or metal. Excellent auger IMO. A Kdrill bit will also connect. I recently bought the 40V lite flite. I believe Scheels will match that deal.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
See this is on sale at Scheels. Anyone have input on this model? Currently running a DeWalt brushless attached to a steel flight. Also found one on a different site, same model + second battery for cheaper. Will Scheels match and throw in a second battery for the same price?

1705189585380.png

1705190246565.png
What site is that? Is it a legit site? If so that is a good deal. Almost seems too good to be true? Scheels has always honored the price match for me. From my experience Scheels will go to that site, put one in the cart and do a mock check out to find the total cost shipped to them. And that would be the matching price from my experience. Good auger and a good deal if you can get that price with that extra battery. Good luck !!!!!!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
What site is that? Is it a legit site? If so that is a good deal. Almost seems too good to be true? Scheels has always honored the price match for me. From my experience Scheels will go to that site, put one in the cart and do a mock check out to find the total cost shipped to them. And that would be the matching price from my experience. Good auger and a good deal if you can get that price with that extra battery. Good luck !!!!!!
It's a store in Wisconsin called Dewey, Catchem, and How. You can pick up in store or have it shipped.

1705208940943.png

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am surprised you guys have never run into issues more often with those fuckers grabbing and nearly tearing your arms off. most of my issues were redrilling holes in permanents. but, it also happens if you don't take the time to clear the slush from the hole in 3 feet of ice. punch through to the water and that slush mixes w/ the water and she grabs like a SOB too. it tore the handle right off the drill. broke the mottled metal where it attaches to the drill so it couldn't even be put back on if i wanted. guywhoknowsthings can probably explain the physics/mechanics of how the plate saves stress on the drill better than me.

edit: i see he already did ^^^

LOL brings back memories. Back in the 60s a blacksmith here used to build augers from the ground up, 12 volt ford starter with a remote solenoid on the handle . Those things had enough power to spin a guy around before you could let off the handle . Somehow the old man let it get the best of him in the fishhouse and it pinned him up against the wall and he couldn't get his hand off the trigger. Boy did I laugh but he didn't think it was very funny.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use to have an old electric with an airplane starter. Heavy as hell but would cut like crazy. Very hard on vehicle battery though. Starter button stuck when my buddy was cutting holes, tossed him into the corner pretty good. I had to yank the battery cable off to shut it down. Kept it well lubed from then on.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got my 24v late last season for less than the Dewey’s price from Reeds. $240 I think. Good sales on the SM augers right now till end of season.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody run the 24v strikemaster with a k-drill? After burning out a milwaukee I was thinking of picking up the 24v to power it

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody run the 24v strikemaster with a k-drill? After burning out a milwaukee I was thinking of picking up the 24v to power it
If you are going to get a 24v why not just go with the lite flite? Just curious.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dirty ice issues would be the reason to run the k drill. I’ve been told the k drill eats more battery than all the other alternatives. But I’d like to know too if it works.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never touched my lite flight blades yet and I have drilled alot of holes. Ended up going through a sand pile dropped by a pickup and covered with snow. I figured it may be the end of them, but never phased the lazer blades. But I also know guys that bitch about their blades being dull and chipping no matter what brand of auger. As I watch them pound and beat them on the ice, toss into the pickup box without blade cover on etc.....

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are going to get a 24v why not just go with the lite flite? Just curious.
Just cause I have 2 of them. I'd most likely use it in the wheel house for reopening holes with my 8.5 kdrill. I'll still use the 6 inch/ milwaukee combo when I'm fishing out of a portable

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, went to Scheels and they price matched the deal from Dewey Catchem and How. Free battery and price match the auger, added cost to ship it. I went with the 40v 8" Lite Flight.

Here's what it says it would've cost me at Scheels when I add to my cart (Keep in mind it was already on sale orig $669 for $499):

1705267114143.png

Here's the price adjustment (not sure why he put $99 value for the battery, they're on sale for $149):

1705267267238.png

Last edited:

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, went to Scheels and they price matched the deal from Dewey Catchem and How. Free battery and price match the auger, added cost to ship it. I went with the 40v 8" Lite Flight.

Here's what it says it would've cost me at Scheels when I add to my cart (Keep in mind it was already on sale orig $669 for $499):

1705267114143.png

Here's the price adjustment (not sure why he put $99 value for the battery, they're on sale for $149):

1705267267238.png
Looks like you got in on a pretty good deal. That other place changed

dewey.JPG
their pricing, still not a bad deal if you ask me.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like you got in on a pretty good deal. That other place changed

dewey.JPG
their pricing, still not a bad deal if you ask me.
Well that was good timing on my part! I'm usually a day late and dollar short on these....

I've still got one in my cart at the better price ;)

1705454777588.png

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eskimo 40v - 2 batteries and unit for 307 including tax new out the door. The retailer didnt know what they were doing along with west fargo math. All i know i was expecting to pay 4 bills and somehow with all the key punching it was 3 bills.

Yes short has a an electric auger. the jiffy is still gonna be kept for the extension type winters.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eskimo 40v - 2 batteries and unit for 307 including tax new out the door. The retailer didnt know what they were doing along with west fargo math. All i know i was expecting to pay 4 bills and somehow with all the key punching it was 3 bills.

Yes short has a an electric auger. the jiffy is still gonna be kept for the extension type winters.
Gave my old jiffy to the boy, still starts within 3 pulls, and smells like dad... guessing its at least 35 years old

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

You HYPOCRITE! I remember post #69 of the "Short Ain't Ever Owning an E-Auger" where you clearly stated "Short ain't ever owning an E-Auger". That, coupled with drinking out of a garden hose, believing in Covid, and living on the "East Side" just chaps my ass.

Just kidding, welcome to the club!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88