EV mountain bikes

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sniffin around these contraptions and clueless so many makes.

Anyone have some insight? Recommend a quality make,checking online big dog bike class 3 1000w motor 60 mile range price varies $2500 to $5k and up but what make/brand?

Any input appreciated

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wanted to try an e-bike due to bad knees. A friend recommended Aventon e-bikes. Wife & I purchased Aventon bikes and have put on a ton of miles on them and no issues at all but most of our riding is trail and some gravel. Great bikes for the $$. Have a bud that recently purchased an off-road Aventon, beats the hell out of it, and it keeps ticking. I believe this is the bike
https://www.aventon.com/products/ramblas-electric-mountain-bike?variant=42879809913027

Not sure if that is what you are looking for or not

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wanted to try an e-bike due to bad knees. A friend recommended Aventon e-bikes. Wife & I purchased Aventon bikes and have put on a ton of miles on them and no issues at all but most of our riding is trail and some gravel. Great bikes for the $$. Have a bud that recently purchased an off-road Aventon, beats the hell out of it, and it keeps ticking. I believe this is the bike
https://www.aventon.com/products/ramblas-electric-mountain-bike?variant=42879809913027

Thanx wire for the followup info,did you purchase this bike online or dealer?

Im eyeballin a composite bike/frame called "hero hey" down side not available from a dealer instore purchase, class 3 bike with 1000w top spd 45mph 60 to 80 mile range fully charged,my bike use is casual cruises, flat rds,composite frame is super lite weight ,also considering a titanium frame,not interested in aluminum or steel frame bikes, ill look into this aventon bike line you have,thanx a bunch

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Looks sweet,local dealer carries em,aventon "adventure 2" has me birdie ill leave my check book at home just incase i close the sale on myself...

Thanx again

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
We purchased ours on-line. Have had great level of service from Aventon. Only downside that I am aware of is that the closest authorized dealer is in FM. We take ours to Fl in winter and had some adjustments made down there and there was no charge. Prior to these e-bikes I have always had Trek due to quality of bike and great service at Scheels in Bis. Wife has the Pace 500.3 step through and it is very quiet and has a range of about 40 miles depending on terrain. For the $$ spent we are happy. Ride with a group in Fl that have higher price e-bikes and have not seen much difference to this point. Ours r 3+ years old so time will tell how well they hold up.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My nephew ( avid bike/trail rider) said the big thing is research make of motor for longevity. Some good, some terrible. Bosch I think was fairly reliable from his research.

Probably have motor comparisons on You tube

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hmmm,interesting,ive been googling consumer reports on brands and models im considering,so far bikes component's like ev vehicle's made in china or Taiwan but thanx for the headsup ill look further into motor/motors couple brands have front hub and rear hub motors (all wheel drive)some brands have "mid mount motors" not clear which motor mount is better or why just yet

NodakBob

Honored Member
If you want to ride offroad on federal lands the bike has to be pedaled to engage the power, not just a throttle. Fed definition of a "bicycle" is less than 700 watts of power (torque power, not battery size) and must be pedaled. Some bikes with throttles are made to temporarily disconnect the throttle so that you can meet that definition. Since you want a "mt. bike" and not just an electric "scooter" (that might handle like a shopping cart or minibike), I would suggest getting one from a local dealer with tech/warranty support. The midmount motors (at the crank) provide the best handling. Bosch, Specialized and Shimano seem to have the best midmount motors. I have a full suspension aluminum Cannondale that works great (didn't have the budget for carbon...that's another $1-2k)...wanted a Specialized but they are $1000+ more than comparable bikes from other brands. I have had three carbon frame mt. bikes...broke the frame on them all (and broke the frame on half the aluminum bikes I've had)...so if you're a heavy hard rider the local warranty support can make all the difference. Carbon definitely rides best...even a carbon handlebar on an aluminum frame really takes the edge off hand vibration. Most bikes come with three power levels...I find the highest power level is not needed if you're used to riding mt. bikes. I ride mine on fairly level roads/trails without any power assist, and then just use the power up hills or against the wind on the way home. Some of the "scooter" type bikes are not geared properly to ride them without any power assist (such as when the battery dies).

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good read Bob,thanx.You must be a animal busting frames,i see some makes have titanium frames.

I concur on local dealer for service and warranty.

What do you do to store your bike? Pull the battery and call it good?

Last edited:

NodakBob

Honored Member
I stored it in a heated garage over the winter.
BTW that Aventon bike looks pretty good for the money...if you want a hardtail.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have this coming next Thursday luna x2.5 extreme enduro 60v. I've test rode specialized and yamaha both are very expensive. ive ridden a carbon frame pivot phoenix for the last 3 years downhill no frame breakage yet.

1713487116181.png

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I stored it in a heated garage over the winter.
BTW that Aventon bike looks pretty good for the money...if you want a hardtail.
Agreed,im a old fart so yeah hardtail lights...no more rain and mud up my back,hoping i can get this adventure with 1000w and 52v battery. Tutorial not to store bike with battery installed and to recharge battery every few months while stored.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have this coming next Thursday luna x2.5 extreme enduro 60v. I've test rode specialized and yamaha both are very expensive. ive ridden a carbon frame pivot phoenix for the last 3 years downhill no frame breakage yet.

1713487116181.png
Looks like a winner,class 3? I looked at Yamaha today,strong pass.

Really interested in this new ebike lineup called "herohey" they debuted 4/15,they're carbon frame is sweet, not the cookie cutter frame all these bikes have. Big seller in my area are the short moped wanna bee's,low profile making face plants less painful i suspect.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m an avid mountain biker. E bikes are incredible these days. I’d never buy a carbon one though, not sure the point when you have a 50# bike regardless? That said I’ve only ridden the Trek full mountain bike versions and they’re sweet. Bosch motors.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m an avid mountain biker. E bikes are incredible these days. I’d never buy a carbon one though, not sure the point when you have a 50# bike regardless? That said I’ve only ridden the Trek full mountain bike versions and they’re sweet. Bosch motors.
50lbs? Sweet,this hub driven alenton im considering weighs 77lbs with battery,aluminum frame,but these carbons,lite weight,with accessories mounted but carbon not a dealer breaker,i glanced at trek but passed,I'll revisit,local ebike dealers in my area told me to hold off late april early may rebates,new models coming out,sale kinda kicked off all ready free extea battery and $500 dealer rebate.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 208
  • This month: 182
  • This month: 166
  • This month: 140
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 90