Evinrude G2 250 HO going on my pontoon!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I need to repower my boat, I'll be looking at what the NON SPONSORED guides are running. When your livelihood depends on your equipment working as inexpensively as possible, I pay attention. Enjoy your new toy. I LOVE new toy days!!!!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not much to look at yet as it was the engine on shipping pallet without any top or engine side panels, the panels come separate as they are special ordered based on customer choice.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Saw a pontoon, a tritoon, the other day with twin Mercury 300”s! Needless to say it was a little faster than my 90 hp Honda Boston Whaler!

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
The regional differences in boat engines is interesting. I winter in Lake Havasu and there are hundreds of boats there, especially on weekends when the city people from Vegas, Phoenix area and California show up.
There's only a very rare Evinrude, mostly Mercuries and a lot of Yamahas, and even a surprising number of Hondas despite no Honda dealership in the area. Only a rare other Japanese engine.
I think it boils down to salesmanship and dealerships and regional pushes by the manufacturers more than anything else.
Like someone mentioned, its hard to find a bad engine these days. Alll are pretty good!
Discussions of what is the best engine is like discussions about what is the best pickup, best hunting dog, best rifle, best optics, etc.
Good luck with your new pontoon! Interestingly pontoons and tritoons in the Lake Havasu area of Arizona now comprise about 70% of new boat sales. They are darned versatile!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Mercs are highly popular with the performance go fast boat crowd as the aftermarket following for high HP engine builders mercs is the most popular.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the new G2 Home, just waiting on the hub for the prop.

IMG_2258 (1).jpgIMG_2256.jpgIMG_2255 (1).jpg

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I love my etec and it has been great to me! I am even more excited to get the G2! The NWT guys last year running a 620 ranger/g2 combo were getting 3mpg at 58mph!.....::.::

seriously, I hope 3 mpg at WOT (58-60mph) isn’t what the they’re bragging about. Been doing that for more than a decade with 2 different Opti’s!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never see a Merc on a dive boat. Most r yammys and some Honda. See some zukes. In us see rudes on some work boats. Gnf have one on the river. Johhny Morris should buy out Merc from Brunswick or buy out Evinrude. He is giving Brunswick the bus.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
That looks good! I based my decision on what i see ran on off shore boats. Most in Sitka AK are Yamaha or Suzuki. A very few Hondas and one or two Mercs. If an engine can handle the stress of a charter boat or commercial boat in the salt, It should handle anything I do to it.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hit the river yesterday for the maiden voyage with the new E-tec, Very impressed, never knew how under powered the Yamaha F150 was for this boat, It handles completely different now gets on plane way faster and easier steers and corners awesome which is where the Yamaha really fell on its face as my toon has the esp center tube which allows it to corner like a v-hull and roll into corners which it can actually do now with ease plus this e-tec steers with about 1/4 the effort the Yamaha took to steer.

Did not do any hole shot throttle punches but did do a few WOT throttle romps for a few seconds from mid throttle range and It hit 52 MPH at 5600 RPMs with normal load which included normal gear 40 gallons fuel and 2 people going with the current and against the breeze. I think in ideal conditions once it loosens up and I get a better feel for things like trim ect I think 55 MPH could be possible.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL, you're making me want to upgrade the Toon to something that can hold a little more HP. 32 mph is as fast as mine will go with the Merc 150 4S. I can only imagine what another 20 mph would feel like.

I kind of figured yours may seem like a whole new ride once you jacked up the horsepower. That seems to be the case with most floaters.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wow, 52+ mph is hauling on a big comfy floating couch! that's awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

With what boat and motor combo?

Both my 2006 225 Opti on a Yar-craft 1895 Storm & my current 2013 200 Opti on a Yar-Craft 186 will both do right on 3 mpg at WOT. In both cases, the motors both use +-20 gph at WOT and both boats will flirt with 60 mph. By my math, that equates to 3 mpg.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, 52+ mph is hauling on a big comfy floating couch! that's awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

Both my 2006 225 Opti on a Yar-craft 1895 Storm & my current 2013 200 Opti on a Yar-Craft 186 will both do right on 3 mpg at WOT. In both cases, the motors both use +-20 gph at WOT and both boats will flirt with 60 mph. By my math, that equates to 3 mpg.

So your saying that an outboard with 50 to 75 more hp that is pushing a 20ft boat getting 3mpg is not impressive? How about a 300 getting 2.9 mpg? Your optis don't compare

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Rizzo, I’d say they compare quiet well. It was implied talking about a 620 which is rated at 250hp. The 250 opti is the same engine as the 225 and the 200 with some tweaks to fuel mapping and a few other minor items. I’m not a Ranger guy, but a 250 pro XS will do it on a Yar-craft 209tfx.

And just for the record, an 1895 storm measures 19’10” which is why it was allowed to have a 225hp rating. The nose was later tweaked around 2006 and it was rebranded as the 2095 and came with a 250hp rating. Those boats would run low to mid 60s when properly set up.

Last edited:

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 200HP G2 is the same as the 300HP G2. The 250HO G2 is 275HP so you are still coming up short with your HP to make these comparable. You're basing your mileage on a guess. When you can tell me you went x distance and burned x gallons of fuel I will listen. So when I tell you I went 97 miles on 32.5 gallons of fuel at WOT that is 2.98 mpg out of a 300G2. So tell me again how your Opti compares. This reminds me of a guy with a 1/2 ton pickup pulling a 2000lb trailer saying he gets the same mileage as a 3/4 ton pulling 10,000lbs.

For the record I am not a Ranger or Evinrude guy, but I will give credit where credit is due. I am fortunate enough to have been able to run several of these big HP engines. Now with that said if I wanted a fast boat I would have a 209TFX with a 300G2 on it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 84
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31