Fall salmon

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are now at the time of year where salmon should be up shallow.

Current plan is to head up early Sunday morning, and toss spoons, mepps, cranks, etc in the hope of catching a few.

Anyone got any tips on time of day, go-to lures, or just anything of interest that would help a salmon novice put some fish in the cooler?

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I got a report of someone catching them from shore tossing cranks. I'm guessing a lot of boats will be long lining this weekend. Good luck, bleed em and get them on ice.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IME you "can't go wrong" with a shallow running blaze orange/yellow Reef Runner or a crawler under a slip float in the area of the state park swim beach. Back in the early '00's a kid down there was the only one catching shit on a Rebel Crawdad crank(?!)...Another time a couple kids aggravated all by shitslamming them on old, sun damaged, ratty "white" twister tail jigs on tackle which had to have been dug out of the very back of their granddad's barn. The blue mono line was straight out of KMart and would loop on the surface like a Slinky. They whipped the "Eagle Claw" rods so hard to cast I was amazed they never snapped. Anyways they had the Lord on their side and left with 50lbs of fish.

Additional advice would be: Come prepared with a variety and experiment. Have quality replacement trebles on hand as salmon mouths are like hard, slick glass. As with all salmonids they writhe like eels, run like carp and jump like bass: IME these shore salmon make a game out of spitting hooks. Whatever this says of my ability; it took me three years to land my first: Even as I hate throwing spoons I will say gold has provided the most strikes and was the color which earned my boy his first on the Dale Jr. 33 Combo.

SIDE NOTE: I still have the rod and spoon. One night on a beer lark I decided to fill it with 6/20 PowerPro. Holy shit. I would've never believed how well and problem-free this stuff worked in a spincaster. One day I noticed his drag was wobbly; so on another beer lark (at home) I sprayed the poor plastic deal with Reel Magic. This locked the drag tight and I broke the poor reel trying to overcome what I surmise was some sort of hydraulic effect. This proved a mixed blessing as the next spring I was the proud papa of an eight year old throwing spinning and baitcasting with ease. His first fish on baitcasting tackle was an eight lb pike on a Jitterbug shortly after ice-out.

SIDE SIDE NOTE(2): Braid is now round and works AMAZINGLY well in closed face reels. It may be a bit like nitrous in a Prius and reduce "barrel life". Also, IMHO/E: Don't just teach your kids how to cast. When they've "mastered" casting(rod position etc); go "downrange", grab the plug, simulate a strike and then ingrain a HOOKSET. This MAY take a while (IDK--does a kid subconsciously believe he/her is jerking the bait away?!!). DON'T BE A DICK. When the hookset is "mastered" move on to the dynamics of fighting the fish by letting the child reel you in. This is when the drag/rod importance is demonstrated.

(C): Kids need to catch bluegills etc without critique. As you may have noted I had a bit of a problem in the boy's early years. One day on an Alabama pond I was slapped on the head with this epiphany when Meemaw's biscuits and gravy sent me running to the bushes. This is when I realized YOU can't really FISH with a child. All attention must be on the KID. The boy did his first C/R on a bluegill with a long shanked barbless hook while I spread wolf bait (Weird Science). He then baited his own hook, caught a couple more and became a fisherman.

When the child asks: "Why you aren't fishing?" it's bittersweet and time pick up your rod. You're still needed to untangle a line or some such but you can fish. DON'T BE A DICK.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry. Budweiser and memories. Shallow Reef Runner, gold spoon or a nightcrawler.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't been out this year but big cranks shallow/ deep divers will usually put a few in the boat. A assortment of snap weights will help as well I have from 2oz- 8oz. Years past blue and purple have done best for us.

We are planning on heading up there this Sunday as well so let's get in touch and compare notes. Or just drink a beer!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a specific time of day the bite is best now? Morning, noon, sunset, 0-dark-30?

gillraker

Is there a specific time of day the bite is best now? Morning, noon, sunset, 0-dark-30?
I havent fished them from shore for several years, but always had my most success right before daybreak until a couple hours after. Cloudy/overcast days the bite seemed to continue much later. Evenings never seemed to produce as well for me. Bright colored rattlin raps and spoons were always my go to. Good luck!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow. Dead calm sunny evenings have produced the best for me(?). The above tales of Rebel Crawdads and ratty grubs were at such times. Typical "good" fishing weather has not been friendly to me for salmon. Is it reasonable to wonder if the randomness with success is the result of smolt schools being imprinted on differing forage appearance in available ambient light? How is Keith Richards still alive?

The only way in hell I'd be on the bank at 0500 is if I got drunk at the Dam Bar and got dropped off with a gallon of Vitamin Water and a sack o' breakfast biscuits without cheese. I don't like cold melted cheese. Or piss.

That is all.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Stuart smiley...I like soft batch chocolate chip
81e968dc0923e38d720bec9c2a31f4e8--al-franken-daily-affirmations.jpg

hahaha, you would know that

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn Allen: I've spread my gorebal warming free unvaxxed heart for your success. Not willing to do legs as it's all sack.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So we went up yesterday and got on the water just after sunrise. Thought it was going to be a good day as someone landed one next to the ramp as we put in the toon. There were lots of fish hitting the surface, but I couldn't determine "what" they were going after on the surface. All we could manage casting cranks, mepps, and spoons were a couple of follows to the boat. They left the shallows by noon and then we went long-lining some deep running cranks all the way from Rodeo Bay back over to Govt Bay. Never saw any other boat land a fish even though I have to imagine someone figured them out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 88