Fargo-area Mechanics

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My nephew is attending NDSU and needs a pulley replaced. Any recommendations in the Fargo area?

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was living in Fargo, I would take all my stuff up to Larson Repair in Harwood. He does great work and is honest, won't tell you something needs to be fixed/replaced unless it absolutely needs to be. Bad part though is he's pretty busy and maybe booked out awhile. Price was always reasonable.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Idler? Tensioner? Crankshaft, power steering, air conditioner , water pump ?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Idler? Tensioner? Crankshaft, power steering, air conditioner , water pump ?

I believe my brother wants to bypass the AC pulley for now and then repair it when his kid comes back home. My brother would be on par with MacGyver so he just wants his kid to bandaid it for now.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I believe my brother wants to bypass the AC pulley for now and then repair it when his kid comes back home. My brother would be on par with MacGyver so he just wants his kid to bandaid it for now.
I would youtube it, Im sure there is a part # for a belt that bypasses the AC compressor.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe my brother wants to bypass the AC pulley for now and then repair it when his kid comes back home. My brother would be on par with MacGyver so he just wants his kid to bandaid it
Depending on the car, you can buy a bypass pulley. This involves removing the AC compressor. I did it on a car that wasn't worth fixing the AC.

BTMONY

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a good friend that owns Elite Automotive in Fargo. I've taken my vehicles there and I've referred quite a few friends and coworkers and have heard positive feedback from them (regarding pricing and quality).

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on the car, you can buy a bypass pulley. This involves removing the AC compressor. I did it on a car that wasn't worth fixing the AC.
correct. my brother will fix it once he bypasses the ac compressor pulley and can drive the car back to southern MN.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If he would leave the the AC and Defrosters ( the AC compressor runs to take humity out of the air ) off I dont think he would have a problem as AC wont kick on. He can also unplug the power cord.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If he would leave the the AC and Defrosters ( the AC compressor runs to take humity out of the air ) off I dont think he would have a problem as AC wont kick on. He can also unplug the power cord.
This right here..don't use defrost..kind of hard in our weather...don't use AC either. If neither are used the clutch should not kick in therefore it would act just like a pulley. This is also assuming that the bearings in the clutch are not the issue....

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This right here..don't use defrost..kind of hard in our weather...don't use AC either. If neither are used the clutch should not kick in therefore it would act just like a pulley. This is also assuming that the bearings in the clutch are not the issue....
Your right about that, He would know right away if that was the problem

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a vehicle that the air quit working in, blew off messing with.... the compressor engaging when the defrost calling for it was bypassed by unplugging the clutch wire.... still started on fire, apparently the Freon that probably leaked away is also the lubricant...

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a vehicle that the air quit working in, blew off messing with.... the compressor engaging when the defrost calling for it was bypassed by unplugging the clutch wire.... still started on fire, apparently the Freon that probably leaked away is also the lubricant...
Right, that's why in this case he would have to make sure not to engage defrost or turning on the ac. Both will engage the AC Compressor to remove humidity from the vehicle. If neither are used it will not engage the AC clutch therefore not spinning the compressor..Basically it is just a normal pully then.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Penny-wise, Pound-STUPID.

Then again, something as trivial as a non-functional light on a trailer about gives me a stroke so........

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bullet-proof trailer wiring needs to become a thing. I know the constant jiggle/motion and corrosion is what makes them brittle... but I'd pay 100% more for wires that last with no fatigue or corrosion issues.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84