Fill tires with sand?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
1689287705491.png

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
File a slot in the plastic weight for this to sneak past. Use goop to seal plastic weight if it’s necessary to file that much away.

Muleybuck

Ive got a walk behind, rear tine garden tiller and the tires leak air. Its a bit of a hassle, especially because the tiller runs much better with wheel weights attached, but they block the valve stem so to add air to the tire, I have to pull the weights off every time, which are bolted on. So what Im thinking about doing is drilling holes in the sidewalls, filling them with dry sand, and then sealing the holes off. The added weight would be beneficial IMO but Im not sure what I should seal the holes with for maximum durability. I was thinking maybe caulk type sidewalk crack filler, like the self leveling stuff... Whatever I use I would like it to last a long time!

Suggestions?
Call NW Tire 701-222-0000 3601 French St, Bismarck, ND 58503. They have a process that removes all the air from tire on the rim not sure what it is but the plants and mines use it. They do a lot of tires for snow blowers, lawn mowers, etc..

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some farmers will add Calcium Chloride and water to tractor tires for extra weight/traction and the Cal/Chlor inhibits freezing.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fill them with concrete
Im not a concrete guy, is there a specific type that will hold up best over time? Maybe like mortar or grout or something... anything with large rocks would be harder to get into the tire probably

NodakBob

Honored Member
Agree with stop the leak (tube, slime, patch) and then fill will RV antifreeze. My lawn tractor came filled that way from the dealer…if it leaks out it doesn’t kill the grass like chloride will

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im not a concrete guy, is there a specific type that will hold up best over time? Maybe like mortar or grout or something... anything with large rocks would be harder to get into the tire probably
I agree with Kurt go with concrete but if you decide sand make sure it is a washed sand which would give your 100% compaction ( no shrinkage )

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would use a sand grout it should hold up good enough in a tiller

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93