Fire detectors???

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are hard wired in

Ok, now I'm really confused.::thinking:: So you have some smoke detectors already and you went to this meeting for a FREE STEAK and now you think you need more detectors .................................... Did I finally figure it out? ;:;boozer

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had one of those salesmen come to my house on wheels back in 1968. Said I needed 5 of those smoke alarms that looked almost like a land mine. Gave quite the sales pitch along with some of the most god awful pictures of burnt up kids. But at 550.00 each it was more than my trailor cost at that time and more than I made per month each. Had to actually throw him out, would not take no for an answer.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
install a nest thermostat (saves you money and pays for itself the first year usually) then get a nest fire / co detector for each room $100 each and then if you have a fire at your house it will send you a message on your phone to let you know... can also install all of the security cameras and such but i don't do that... IMO the nest thing is cool shit, it detects when you are away and adjusts your temperature settings to be more energy efficient and if can open your phone on your way home and tell it your home and it will be the right temp when you get there, i always forget, so the house is a little cool in the winter and hot in the summer when i get home, everything has motion detectors to figure out if you are home or away. The thing that has helped my house stay an even temperature the most (old house, built in 1933) is that it will run just the fan in the furnace for 15 min every hour to circulate the air through the house

www.nest.com

$250 for the thermostat
$100 for each fire/co alarm

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Code pssssttt. Maybe for new construction. My modest home was built in the early '70s and I have lived here for 24 years. Have never had an inspector or city assessor in my house.

I would be more worried about my insurance adjuster after a fire when he asked about you fire detectors.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ok, now I'm really confused.::thinking:: So you have some smoke detectors already and you went to this meeting for a FREE STEAK and now you think you need more detectors .................................... Did I finally figure it out? ;:;boozer

It has nothing to do with being wired in... he claims the "ionized" fire alarms only detect up to 35% of actual fires... and his quote unquote "military grade" laser blah blah blah bull s*** alarms are the ONLY way to keep my family safe... after doing a bunch of Google research and looking into it pretty much it's a bunch of bullcrap and you can buy the photo electronic or whatever they're called smoke detectors that take a photo every four seconds for like 60 bucks on Amazon pretty much the sales pitch uses a bunch of Scare Tactics and really get to women about children dying in fires and blah blah blah to try to get you to pay $3,000 for them to come and tear your perfectly good smoke detectors out and put in their quote unquote amazing ones

But hell can't beat a free steak dinner!

Mocha

Founding Member
Founding Member
New construction in our area is hard wired one in each bedroom and then one in each common area like hallway/kit/dining/living and then 1 in attached garage. Our electrician did mention that they are built for 10 years use and then replace them but they only cost for FireX brand about $14 each.

ffjr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This tactic of giving you a free steak supper and showing you burnt fire victim videos to get you to purchase their fire detection equipment has been around for years. I had them contact me once by phone and give me the B.S. story that they have the best equipment to detect smoke/fire, after listening to the salesman i told him that i have many years in the fire service and your sales pitch is all B.S.

Its all up to the person if they want to spend that type of money on smoke and heat detectors. Just keep in mind its not the heat of a fire that kills a person, its the smoke that kills a person. So buying heat detectors in my opinion is a waste of money. As for the smoke detectors, you can purchase them at your local hardware store. Just make sure when you purchase them that they have the UL label on them, that means they have been laboratory test.

Just make sure you replace the battery's ever year and replace the detector every 10 years.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drink heavily and then put a pizza in the oven and pass out. This should check the status of your current system.

By employing this system, I was able to verify that the smoke alarms in my entire apartment building, worked very well (back in the mid-90's). The pizza was only smoldering when the oven door was opened, but the in-rush of air made it burst into flames. Out the patio door and off the third floor balcony it went.

Being the heavy sleeper that I was, I was able to snooze my way through most of this.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
By employing this system, I was able to verify that the smoke alarms in my entire apartment building, worked very well (back in the mid-90's). The pizza was only smoldering when the oven door was opened, but the in-rush of air made it burst into flames. Out the patio door and off the third floor balcony it went.

Being the heavy sleeper that I was, I was able to snooze my way through most of this.

I've always used a pizza oven with a timer so I have been able to avoid this scenario. I have heard some darn funny stories, though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 157
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55