Fishing/Tent Camping on Sakakawea

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
the wife and kids want to got to the big lake and its be close to 15 years since I have fished Sak. Where would be a decent place to go? We will be tenting and would like a campground that isn't real busy as I have small children and yet be in an area that is producing fish. Wouldn't necessarily have to be walleyes as we catch those around home but would like enough action to keep the kids entertained.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might be asking for quite a bit there.

You would like someplace to yourself, but produces fish. Hmm.

Might have to give up a bit of one, to get the other.

Anyhow, state park by Pick City is nice, and regardless which way the wind is blowing (and it WILL blow), you can get out of the wind somewhere. And they have a swimming beach. In the fall, there are salmon in the scoria bay area, and also smallies and northern.

If you'd rather get out of the wind, the downstream area is great, has amenities for campers, aside from fishing, and is out of the wind. With the river running high right now though, the beaches have to be gone. They do have a fishing pond down there though, and I believe they still have movies showing on an outdoor screen on Saturday evenings.

If you hit it right, I understand the shorefishing at the south end of the camping loops can be good at night, in the fall.

that's about all I know...

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might be asking for quite a bit there.

You would like someplace to yourself, but produces fish. Hmm.

Looking for a campground that isn't out of hand.....

Might have to give up a bit of one, to get the other.

Anyhow, state park by Pick City is nice, and regardless which way the wind is blowing (and it WILL blow), you can get out of the wind somewhere. And they have a swimming beach. In the fall, there are salmon in the scoria bay area, and also smallies and northern.

If you'd rather get out of the wind, the downstream area is great, has amenities for campers, aside from fishing, and is out of the wind. With the river running high right now though, the beaches have to be gone. They do have a fishing pond down there though, and I believe they still have movies showing on an outdoor screen on Saturday evenings.

If you hit it right, I understand the shorefishing at the south end of the camping loops can be good at night, in the fall.

that's about all I know...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not worried about fishing pressure just wanna be in a campground that's safe without a bunch of hell raisers, back in the day on devils lake there used to be drunk guys ripping around all night IDK if that problem is prevalent on sakakwea....

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
tailrace down stream campground,,go to the boat landing in the evening with the kids and fish off the concrete block thing with a night crawler pumped full of air above a eggweight sinker, cast out and let it sit on the bottom,, relax in lawn chairs and watch the lines.. fun way to catch a lots of good eating catfish and occasional walleye, trout, carp, sucker, northern, ect., plus can go on the fish hatchery tour during the day, fun for youngins.. campground in my experiences have been good/quiet for tent camping

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Down stream campgrounds below the dam. Few minutes from a half dozen boat ramps, restaurants, etc. Walk over the sand dunes to fish the river bank.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Downstream campground is great. If you were set on the lake portion at Sak state park there are some group primitive sites behind the marina. I believe its call fish point lp. Not sure how the high water has effected it but we have caught quite a few fish casting towards the little island.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was down there 1-1/2 weeks ago and didn't see any issues with the campgrounds. The river is high but it's not at risk of going over the banks. The boat ramp is still usable.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The west side of Douglas bay has a nice primitive campground that doesn’t get too crazy. Decent shore fishing right from camp and there are nice trees to block the wind.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
we used to go to Douglas Bay back in the early 90s I remember it being pretty nice there

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like parshall bay. Brendles resort. I camp there and it's relatively quiet and good for kids. First come first serve

there r a few playgrounds. The bay is nice and out of the wind. And about the best place on the lake for fish

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like parshall bay. Brendles resort. I camp there and it's relatively quiet and good for kids. First come first serve

there r a few playgrounds. The bay is nice and out of the wind. And about the best place on the lake for fish
I dont believe you can pitch a tent at Brendles, but you can across the road at Parshall Bay Rec Area. Very nice campground, well kept up.

bowhunter88

Established Member
if you do the downstream thing, there is the pond in riverdale too the kids can catch a bunch of panfish out of if that's any interest to them.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last time I stayed downstream was last fall, and I was the only one in the entire loop, until I came back from fishing the rocks. Then one other camper was parked right next to me. ??? Regardless, the noisiest thing was the birds. It was heavenly.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of the state parks, corps, or park board operated campgrounds like van hook, parshall bay, steinke etc. will be pretty quiet in regards to drunks/partying etc. Though there will be some traffic at most of them ,but nothing crazy or nessasarily unsafe if you at least somewhat keep an eye on your kids. With fishing as good as it is, there's no shortage of people.
Downstream IMO is nice but probably the most crowded campground in ND. You can damn near hear your neighbor fart in his fifth wheel on a calm night. Also with the water as high as it is I would caution being around the river if your young kids have never been near moving water.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of the state parks, corps, or park board operated campgrounds like van hook, parshall bay, steinke etc. will be pretty quiet in regards to drunks/partying etc. Though there will be some traffic at most of them ,but nothing crazy or nessasarily unsafe if you at least somewhat keep an eye on your kids. With fishing as good as it is, there's no shortage of people.
Downstream IMO is nice but probably the most crowded campground in ND. You can damn near hear your neighbor fart in his fifth wheel on a calm night. Also with the water as high as it is I would caution being around the river if your young kids have never been near moving water.

The primitive campground for tents is usually not too crowded, sometimes there's hardly anyone there. With the walleye bite as hot as it is right now, I'd avoid the parshall van hook area if you're trying to stay away from the crowds.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
got buddies up at the hook that are lighting them up today.

- - - Updated - - -

...... but their electronics and trolling motor are probably worth more than my whole boat

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
got buddies up at the hook that are lighting them up today.

- - - Updated - - -

...... but their electronics and trolling motor are probably worth more than my whole boat
Trust me, you do not need anything fancy nor big to catch fish in the Van Hook or Parshall Bay area.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33