Flip over fish house accessories

220swift

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just wondering what you guys have done to your flipovers to make it easier or more enjoyable to use.
So far I've added an LED light bar and coat hooks. I've been thinking about building a removable shelf
of sorts so I can keep some of the more fragile stuff from getting beat up by my buckets and auger
bouncing around.

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Milk crate bolted in for housing the propane bottle. Keeps it from bouncing around. A couple rod holders. Led lights.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If and when I get a flip over house, the first thing I'd do is put an aluminum or steel bottom on the sled. Seen guys drag their houses up and down the concrete ramps and gravel overloaded with gear. Scrapes the crap outta the bottoms which can't be good for smooth and easy pulling over the snow. Probably use rivets and aluminum, but have seen some pretty light and tough steel sheeting that might work too. After that, I'd have to fish in it a bit to figure out what else I need.

Last edited:

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put wear strips on the sled. I add a tape measure sticker to a support pole on each side of thr house. That makes it quick and easy to measure fish. Rope lights are awesome and also get a travel tarp.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If and when I get a flip over house, the first thing I'd do is put an aluminum or steel bottom on the sled. Seen guys drag their houses up and down the concrete ramps and gravel overloaded with gear. Scrapes the crap outta the bottoms which can't be good for smooth and easy pulling over the snow. Probably use rivets and aluminum, but have seen some pretty light and tough steel sheeting that might work too. After that, I'd have to fish in it a bit to figure out what else I need.

They make runners out of high density plastic like a nylon that are lighter and wear better than steel or aluminum. Think hi fax like on a snow mobile

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Kurtr. Whatever they make them out of, I'd have two sets. I've seen some sleds that were worn completely through and the snow would pile into the sled when pulled. With what these houses set a guy back, I'd sure try to take as good a care of mine as possible.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should look into where we get the plastic we line our Crusher with. I bet I can get scraps cheap. It last 3 seasons vs replacing the steel every year. I know the place is in Fargo.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Kurtr. Whatever they make them out of, I'd have two sets. I've seen some sleds that were worn completely through and the snow would pile into the sled when pulled. With what these houses set a guy back, I'd sure try to take as good a care of mine as possible.
I don't think it would be possible to wear out the hi-fax for the otters on the ice. Maybe if you drug it 5 miles to the lake on asphalt every time you went fishing. One tip, put them on the sled first before you even begin assembling the house. It's a PITA after you have the house together. Hi fax also makes your sled track much better behind atv.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've worn the bottom out of 1 otter and 2 fish traps. Unless you know you will never pull the sled (sits in back of pickup for transport), get the strips right away.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did the hyfax runners on mine, mounted 12" pvc caps to sled so buckets set inside and don't slide, put Berkeley 4 rod horizontal wall storage under both flip up seats, that way you and partner have rods right under seat ready to rock n roll

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just go online and fine a plastics supplier. They sell UHMW plastic that is near bulletproof. I put 1/4" thick strips on mine years ago and pull it over gravel and concrete. The strips have hardly worn. Best $12 you can spend!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
First things I added to my sled were led lights, both red and white on separate switches to a battery box. I also added an eye bolt to the back of the sled so I can attach one angel wing anchor just in case of high winds. I threw on two of otters rod holders. They fold away so they're not getting caught up in the tarp when you're moving. I usually have a rubber mat along that I put under our feet. I bought those frabill coat hooks and even though I could have built them much cheaper, they work well. If I knew that I'd get to icefish this year, I'd do a little more modification.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tarp straps. At least twenty of em.

- - - Updated - - -

Voyager X-TREME 11ft x 6ft x 6ft 03.jpg
One of my most successful mods pictured here on a huge Voyager shelter I later sold. Bought pink insulation and white corrugated plastic at Menards. glued together with construction adhesive - then custom cut for bait bucket, gear buckets, vex, etc. Kept gear in place where I liked it - even at lake Winnipeg.

- - - Updated - - -

Also kept my rod bags and stuff up off the wet floor!

- - - Updated - - -

Weighed nearly nothing, easy to put in or take out, easy to plug holes (save cores of what you cut out), etc.

basically I should sell these because they're awesome. But, like Scrooge McDuck I don't need the money.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - just cut holes in the rails of your Otter sled all over the place - perfectly good rod holders instead of laying your rod down while you attend to other issues, set hook on other rod, etc.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bolted a board inside mine and then put in screws that match up with the holes in the back of my big buddy heater to hold it in place. Works slick.

220swift

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

I have looked at these for awhile now. Need to stop being so cheap and buy a couple

- - - Updated - - -

First things I added to my sled were led lights, both red and white on separate switches to a battery box. I also added an eye bolt to the back of the sled so I can attach one angel wing anchor just in case of high winds. I threw on two of otters rod holders. They fold away so they're not getting caught up in the tarp when you're moving. I usually have a rubber mat along that I put under our feet. I bought those frabill coat hooks and even though I could have built them much cheaper, they work well. If I knew that I'd get to icefish this year, I'd do a little more modification.

I totaly forgot that I made my own anchoring system last spring!
Never have gotten to see if it will work yet though.

And as mentioned I need to get some runners before my sled gets too eaten up

Guy, I may need to give that mold you made a try.

Thanks everyone

Last edited:

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the idea. I'll be copying it this year. Is this the plastic you use? http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...39140615-c-13482.htm?tid=-6996043433238925479
Tarp straps. At least twenty of em.

- - - Updated - - -

duck22654b.jpg
One of my most successful mods pictured here on a huge Voyager shelter I later sold. Bought pink insulation and white corrugated plastic at Menards. glued together with construction adhesive - then custom cut for bait bucket, gear buckets, vex, etc. Kept gear in place where I liked it - even at lake Winnipeg.

- - - Updated - - -

Also kept my rod bags and stuff up off the wet floor!

- - - Updated - - -

Weighed nearly nothing, easy to put in or take out, easy to plug holes (save cores of what you cut out), etc.

basically I should sell these because they're awesome. But, like Scrooge McDuck I don't need the money.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - just cut holes in the rails of your Otter sled all over the place - perfectly good rod holders instead of laying your rod down while you attend to other issues, set hook on other rod, etc.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Since nobody looks at my posts on my threads I will post it here becuase there are some good ideas in this video like the heat shield for the big buddy heater. Because I like to share

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need a new flip over that does not require a forklift to load.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the idea. I'll be copying it this year. Is this the plastic you use? http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...39140615-c-13482.htm?tid=-6996043433238925479

No. Pretty sure it was Menards.... but didn't see it in a quick search of menards site. It's like thick cardboard but made of tough white plastic.

This stuff.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Coroplast-...te-Corrugated-Plastic-Sheet-CP4896S/205351385

- - - Updated - - -

This? Photo sucks ##### so can't tell.

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/...ating-interior-wall-panel/p-1444450607974.htm

- - - Updated - - -

I recall it being only about 1/4 thick though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40