for you pickup mechanics out there

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
So basically I am hearing that even if I do have to replace lifters and a cam, they are quoting me way too much. Anyone have ideas who might do it for cheaper in the Fargo area?

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find a reputable independent shop in your area and get a quote from them, will still be high but not dealership high.
You can get aftermarket parts for them at a better price than OEM parts as well. Check out places like Summit Racing going with a mild cam upgrade will work wonders too.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
If its a 2009 it has lifetime engine and drivetrain warrenty! Problem solved

First couple sentences in the OP said he was over 100K and that usually only applies to the original owner unless there was a proper transfer if he was a second owner.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a very reputable independent repair shop in Fargo, I would charge $3200 w/ tax for this job. My shop charges $95.00/Hr. I assume the dealer you went to is 120/hr. Their quote is accurate.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am still confused on the quote though... that isn't a 25 hour job by any means is it? i had it pegged at 16 tops. and without smoke breaks and only charging for time actually worked more like 12. mines an 04. so, maybe things changed drastically in those engine compartments between 2004 and 2009. obviously i am way off?

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
VVT engine verses non VVT. 14 hour job. $100 cam, $800 in lifters, I am assuming Rockers as well $492.00 (normally wear - but may not need them), Push Rods @4.00 each as needed, Intake, Timing cover, Valve cover, Oil pan Gaskets, Oil and filter, Antifreeze, etc. $3200 assuming it needs it all.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
VVT engine verses non VVT. 14 hour job. $100 cam, $800 in lifters, I am assuming Rockers as well $492.00 (normally wear - but may not need them), Push Rods @4.00 each as needed, Intake, Timing cover, Valve cover, Oil pan Gaskets, Oil and filter, Antifreeze, etc. $3200 assuming it needs it all.

I need to find a shop that would allow me to purchase the parts. I'm sure I can get OEM parts for cheaper than this. I understand shops have to make money too, but this is a big job and I also need to save some money.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gotta love small block Chevy's dontcha? Simple design, easy and cheap to maintain.

Now we have all this over engineered junk, that when it breaks, costs more than it's worth to fix.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand where you are coming from, but for what its worth, most shops charge more than their normal labor rate for customer supplied parts. The bay the vehicle is in needs to make x dollar amount per hour, in parts and labor. We charge list price from the dealer on oem parts. If you have an in with a parts department, you may be able to reduce your cost on parts, but may over pay on the labor side. my shop offers a 2yr/24K warranty on parts and labor that is nation wide with parts we sell, but you are out of luck if a part fails that you bring to install (even if its OEM). Your truck may also not need all of the parts and the cost may go down. My recommendation is if you commit to repairing the engine, Have a reputable shop tear it down and inspect to see what it actually needs. The Estimate is assuming all parts are needed.........not knowing for sure. You may be able to replace just a lifter or rocker arm, but it is only speculation without inspection.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You supply the parts and the old mill for the duration of time to repair.
should be less than 1000 in old mill cost. Db

- - - Updated - - -

I do have the adjustable jaw wrench, screw driver, pliers and a large hammer so will use my own tools. Also have a dwell meter and timing light fro years ago if needed. Db

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Price a new motor and compare to what doing the cam/lifters repair. Might be money well spent. That is if that's even the problem.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update: Still no resolution. Took it to a 3rd shop today and they claim they know something is wrong with it, but can't pinpoint the issue. Catalytic converter seems fine based on exhaust pressure test, fuel pressure test was good, cleaned the throttle body but no change, hooked it up to the diagnostic machine and no big concerns, etc. Agrees something is wrong with it, but basically said until something actually fails, he wouldn't recommend throwing a bunch of money into it. Said it could be lifters and a cam, but there's no guarantee until he starts ripping into the motor more. I'd still tend to agree all signs appear to point to an overall motor failure starting to happen or something like that. So.....might just have to hit the truck lots this weekend and see what they'd give me for it. Starting to lean toward a lease even though I hate that thought. Would love to find a very low money down lease and have cash in my pocket.

Fishinggeek

Book time To Do camshaft and lifters is 14.7 hours. 2008-2013 Sierras and silverados have the same issue. All due to the fact of lack of oil changes. Change your oil every 5000kms and you should never have a engine mechanical problem.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just seen on FB somebody parking a dodge similar year said the hemi was good in er.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 151
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88